Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

An Amazing Experience

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

An Amazing Experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-07, 01:58 PM
Bikin' and Hikin'

Bikes: Lemond Reno, Diamondback Topanga Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An Amazing Experience

Not a bicycle story but since most of the 50 plusers seem to be into nature, I'm going to tell it here anyway. A couple of friends and I went backpacking over the weekend in the Cataloochee section of the Great Smoky Mountains. After making camp, we hiked to the area where elk, which have been reintroduced over the past few years, can sometimes be spotted. We came upon a big field that contained eight cows and one bull, a monsterous animal with a full set of horns on one side but just one "spike" on the other. The rut was evidentially in full force and this bull was strutting around, charging trees, and bugling a high-pitched wailing cry ever so often. Then another bull in an adjacent field answered his call and headed toward the first bull just a hundred feet from where we were watching. Both bulls slowly moved toward each other, then proceeded to walk along side by side as if they were feeling each other out. Then suddenly, one of them wheeled around to challenge the other. They had several full speed collisions, very loud and violent, then circled around and around like boxers with their antlers entertwined. The charging and the circling repeated several times over a ten minutes period. What an amazing sight to see in person, up close!! Finally the original bull was defeated and ran off, pursued by the new champion! The winner returned shortly and proceeded to move the herd of cows (who had paid very little attention during the fierce fight) into the area from where he originated. He tried to breed with several of the cows but was shunned every time. I guess you could say that he won the fight but lost the war. Through all this, I felt like Marlin Perkins was going to interrupt with a Mutual of Omaha commerical at any time.
Old 10-02-07, 02:49 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Very cool! That must have really been something to see. I guess it may take a while before the cows accept the new leader.

I'm looking forward to seeing a similar scene acted out this Saturday between Uga and Smoky. May the best dawg win.
Old 10-02-07, 03:35 PM
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- great experience and story! thanks for sharing!
Old 10-03-07, 05:34 AM
Bikin' and Hikin'

Bikes: Lemond Reno, Diamondback Topanga Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Very cool! That must have really been something to see. I guess it may take a while before the cows accept the new leader.

I'm looking forward to seeing a similar scene acted out this Saturday between Uga and Smoky. May the best dawg win.
Smoky has been bugling all week long!! I just hope that UGA doesn't take our women back to Georgia with him. Maybe he will take Fulmer instead. Vols are a 2 pt. favorite which is ridiculous. Our defense is non-existant! My blood runs orange but my money is on the Dawgs! Good Luck.
Old 10-03-07, 06:00 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Great story. Reminds me of high school!
Old 10-03-07, 06:57 AM
Recovering Retro-grouch

Bikes: Too Many - 7 or 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RockyTopBiker
..............The winner returned shortly and proceeded to move the herd of cows (who had paid very little attention during the fierce fight) into the area from where he originated. He tried to breed with several of the cows but was shunned every time. I guess you could say that he won the fight but lost the war. ..........
Just goes to show that women are the same no matter how many feet they have.

It is always special to witness nature in person. Great story. Thanks.

My Blog - Lost in the Bo Zone
Old 10-03-07, 07:55 AM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
That story sounds like like a bunch of bull to me! Sorry, but you knew someone was gonna say it.
Old 10-03-07, 08:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like the bulls were just cold and wanted to slip into a nice warm jersey.