Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Trek Portland Vs. LeMond Poprad disc

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-07, 08:28 PM
El Duderino

Bikes: '08 Trek Portland

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys, im in the market for a good commuting bike, and i've narrowed down to the trek portland or the leMond poprad disc. i haven't had a chance to ride either one, so i dont have any opinions yet about either. I was origonally looking at the Specialized Tricross i found at my LBS for around $1,150 until i saw the canondale optima cx disc. I was intrigued by the disc brakes, and heard nothing but great things about them seeing as i dont see myself racing CX any time soon. Then i heard about the Trek portland, which had mostly shimano 105 components, slick road wheels and disc breaks. I was SOLD on this bike until i heard of the LeMond poprad which has virtually the same. Im not sure but i heard from other forums that the lemond is made of steel, and the trek portland of aluminum. Im looking at $1550 for the portland, and about $1400 for the lemond. What do you guys think?
Old 10-04-07, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've read some reviews on the Portland...which I like the looks of...and there were several complaints about the disc brakes having problems..
Old 10-04-07, 09:21 PM
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
I run Avid BB7s, and I've had no problem. After you set them up, they're pretty hassle free.

What is, to me, questionable about both bikes is those silly wheels. I don't do cyclo-cross, but I do commute.

And I would do neither on wheels with such silly low spoke counts.
Old 10-04-07, 09:21 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They wouldn't be any more or less likely to have problems on the Portland than the Poprad, since they both run 105 brake lever/shifters and Avid BB7 brakes.
Old 10-04-07, 09:38 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I own a 2006 Portland and ride with a guy who has a 2008 Poprad Disc.

The bikes are really first cousins. Many similarities, and a few differences.

Portland: 105 10-speed Triple
Poprad: 105 9-speed Cross double

Portland: Aluminum frame, slightly sloping top tube, geometry based on a touring bike (I love the way this makes it ride on my commute)
Poprad: Steel frame, traditional level top tube, cylocross racing based geometry

Although they look the same, there are subtle differences in the forks and wheels too.

We haven't traded bikes to ride, but my guess is the Poprad rides and handles more like a racing bike. My Portland is nimble in traffic, yet holds a line easily and carves corners like it has a five-foot rudder sunk in the pavement. Yet, the ride can only be described as stately. Even 50+ pounds of groceries on the rack don't upset this bike in the least. It maintains its composure, rides and handles like the load isn't even there and doesn't mind hauling when it's hauling.

I don't recall if Kyle's bike has rack or fender mounts. I swapped-out the Portland's fenderettes for full coverage SKS P-35. Much, much better.

Either bike is a winner, although the Poprad will probably impress your friends a bit more, and the Portland will impress you a bit more.
Old 10-04-07, 09:47 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
cool, I was waiting to hear from you
Old 10-04-07, 10:01 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Originally Posted by Banzai
I run Avid BB7s, and I've had no problem. After you set them up, they're pretty hassle free.

What is, to me, questionable about both bikes is those silly wheels. I don't do cyclo-cross, but I do commute.

And I would do neither on wheels with such silly low spoke counts.
The only issue I've had with the brakes are due to the fact this bike sat on the LBS's showroom floor unsold for two years. Everything dried out. After we recabled it and gave the calipers some loving, and all is well. I love these brakes, BTW.

I certainly had qualms about the wheels before buying the bike. They are 24-spoke wheels, not quite so few to qualify as a true low-spoke-count wheel, but there are still eight fewer than most wheels. The hoops are pretty hefty on them to compensate. I've talked with other Portland owners and have heard no reports of wheel failure or need for truing any more than is expected with machine-built wheels.

With a few hundred miles on mine, which include bunnyhopping a few curbs and a couple of off-road excursions which included chasing MTBs down hills, I'm cautiously optimistic.
Old 10-04-07, 10:12 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a guy who posts in the cyclocross forum who has done multiple mountain bike and a gazillion 'cross races on his stock low spoke count Poprad wheels. Pretty strong (though anecdotal) testimony to their durability.
Old 10-04-07, 10:14 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Originally Posted by dauphin
cool, I was waiting to hear from you
Yeah, I can't say which amazes me more--

A) that a bike could actually be this nice, or
B) that I own one.
Old 10-04-07, 10:29 PM
El Duderino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I May be wrong, but i thought the poprad came with a 105 front deraileur, while the portland came with an ultegra... can anybody confrim or disconfirm this, and what does that mean performance wise? Also, i LIVE in Portland, and it constantly rains, should i worry about a steel frame rusting in this type of weather? and how do you feel about steel frames in general compared to aluminum. I know that steel ( in general) is heaver than aluminum, but what are the pros and cons of each?
Old 10-05-07, 05:30 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

My Portland has an Ultegra triple FD. I haven't paid attention to what's on the Poprad, but the web site says 105. There's not a huge difference, especially on FDs. There's a bigger difference between triple and double FDs than there is between groups.

My 56cm Portland was 23.1 pounds before I started accessorizing. Much of the excess is in the wheels, which weigh a ton--at least as compared to the handbuilts on my other bike. This is due in part to heavier hoops and in part to the disk brake hubs and rotors.

I don't know what the Poprad weighs, but since it's intended for racers who have to *run and carry* their bikes on part of every lap, it's safe to assume LeMond has wrung out all the excess gravity.

To my mind, the Portland certainly puts to rest the old wives' tale that aluminum is a harsh ride. My other two Alu bikes certainly are harsh. The Portland, not at all. The difference is due to the $1000 between them. As for steel frames rusting, look around at all the old bikes you see. They're all steel. Have they rusted?

Why not just go to your local Trek/LeMond shop and try one of each? I can rave about my Portland until the cows come home, but all my words won't make it the right bike for you. Only you can determine that, and only through some saddle time.

I'm sure there are several Trek/LeMond dealers in Portland. If you can't find one that lets you have a decent test ride of at least an hour or two, find another. Go on test rides at each of the dealers for that matter. If you can find a dealer--like mine--that does a full fitting before letting you test ride the bike, so much the better.

Edit:

If I may, at this point I think you've begun to over-think this. Intellectually, you can narrow it down to a few bikes. After that, you have to let your azz, feet, hands and especially your heart, tell you which one is your bike.

When I was getting fitted on the Portland in the trainer, and everything began to feel good, I was pleased and excited. When I got it on the road and it sang its siren song to me, it no longer mattered which groupset was on it, how much it weighed, what it was made of, how many spokes were in the wheels, or what anyone else thought of the bike. I knew it was *my* bike and nothing else mattered any more.

That feeling was exactly what I was looking for in a bike. You may get that feeling on a completely different bike than me. When you do, *that's* the bike to buy.

Last edited by tsl; 10-05-07 at 06:14 AM.
Old 10-05-07, 10:10 AM

Bikes: Gunnar Hyper XF, Jamis Dragon Race, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
I've been impressed with the lower-spoke Bontrager wheels that came with my Poprad. I use that wheelset for offroad riding and have a separate Ritchey wheelset for road rides (beats having to swap tires all the time).

The Poprad would make a fine commuter (and has for me from time to time). I ultimately decided to build up a more dedicated commuter when I realized I wanted rack and fender mounts. My Poprad has rear eyelets for a rack, but not corresponding holes at the top of the rear stays, which seems odd. (In other words, you can attach the rack below, but have to come up with a workaround to attach it at the top.) Nevertheless, it's a great bike.
Old 10-08-07, 11:58 PM
El Duderino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, guys, i FINALLY bought my trek '08 at my LBS for $1550. Its well worth it. My only complaint is that the handlebars are black, instead of the orange/brown color you see online, as well, the seat is black. Other than that, i am totally in love with it. I put full fenders on it (which are working to perfection) and i am "set to jet". Besides a little rubbing of my front disc break (which i will have the LBS look at) the bike is perfect. Thanks to all of you for helping me find my dream bike! - Thomas
Old 10-09-07, 12:01 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
damn I wanted to buy that brown seat
Old 10-09-07, 01:24 AM
El Duderino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was something with the brown bartape and the brown of the seat not matching, so it looked like ****. I guess i'd rather have all black then some mix and match bartape...
Old 10-09-07, 11:18 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

I'm glad you like it. I love mine.

The disk brakes take a hundred miles or so to settle in. Expect to have to adjust them.

They're remarkably easy to adjust. Have the LBS show you how.
Old 10-09-07, 11:25 AM
big ring

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a 07 Poprad disk. 22lbs of Platinum OX steel. It's great off road and dampens road vibrations like nobody's business.

I am racing cross this season but I got it as a fall/winter season training bike mostly. No complaint so far.. I've had it 2 weeks and put 230 miles on it.
Old 10-09-07, 11:50 AM
big ring

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's a photo. Fenders look so goofy but it's rainy here.

Old 10-09-07, 12:09 PM

Bikes: Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by guitardude7889
Well, guys, i FINALLY bought my trek '08 at my LBS for $1550. Its well worth it. My only complaint is that the handlebars are black, instead of the orange/brown color you see online, as well, the seat is black. Other than that, i am totally in love with it. I put full fenders on it (which are working to perfection) and i am "set to jet". Besides a little rubbing of my front disc break (which i will have the LBS look at) the bike is perfect. Thanks to all of you for helping me find my dream bike! - Thomas
Isn't a picture required in these instances?
Old 10-09-07, 02:28 PM
El Duderino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, i'll post one as soon as I find my camera...
Old 10-09-07, 02:39 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

While we're waiting for guitardude, here's my Portland:

Note: Although I bought new it last month, mine's a 2006 model. You could say that it sat around the LBS rejected and unsold, or you could say it waited for me to mature enough as a cyclist that I could appreciative it. Naturally, I prefer the latter explanation.
Old 10-09-07, 02:47 PM
big ring

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So obviously the Portland takes racks. My frame has no provisions for them.
Old 10-09-07, 08:54 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Originally Posted by MIN
So obviously the Portland takes racks. My frame has no provisions for them.
Yeah, but you don't really need a rack when you go out and do this:

This is my friend Kyle on his 2008 Poprad Disc at this past Sunday's Rochester Cobbs Hill Cyclocross race. That's the same bike he rides to work.

Last edited by tsl; 10-09-07 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-09-07, 09:18 PM
big ring

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^ HAHA. Yep I would never put racks on my bike but I figured I'd throw that caveat out there since this is the commuter forum.
Old 10-10-07, 01:25 AM
El Duderino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.