Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Computer problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-03, 07:07 PM
Da Big Kahuna

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Computer problem

I have a Cateye Astrale bike computer which I've been pretty happy with. However, a couple weeks ago, it got rained on and, unless its coincidence, I think that might have caused some problems.

When I started riding it after the rain, it stopped registering speed, etc. I suspected the sensor had gotten out of position (both the cadence and speed went out so that is two different sensors). It still didn't work. That's when I suspected the water problem, though I've occasionally gotten caught in light rain before without problems.

I removed the module and wiped everything as best I could. Eventually it started working again. However, even since then I can't be sure it won't lapse again. Often it will do so for a few seconds. Other times it will be longer - generally just pulling the module off and them putting it back on gets it going again. But this problem makes it impossible to do accurate measurements.

Any ideas on how this can be made to work more reliably? If not, any recommendations of what to get which would allow input of old odometer info (I don't think the Astrale allows you to do this for some reason)? I have to have the usual speed, distance, odometer, max, avg, plus cadence. I have considered getting one that includes a heart monitor so feel free to make recommendations on that too.

Bob
Old 08-15-03, 07:30 PM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
As someone who rides in the rain a lot, I've dealt with this on a few occasions. I think some corrosion has managed to get into the electrical contacts that your unit and your handlebar mount connect with. I've heard that spraying it with some WD-40 and leaving it for a while can work. Sometimes just wiping it won't be enough if you have a substantial build up of corrosion there (as it sounds like you might)

That is all.
Old 08-15-03, 09:38 PM
The Red Lantern

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A classic geek(slotcars) trick is to clean the contacts with a pencil eraser. Gets them as clean as sandpaper and is shaped to reach in there.

I am in the woods and I have gone crazy.
Old 08-15-03, 11:22 PM
Da Big Kahuna

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking at the contacts, they don't look like they have a corrosion problem, but maybe - gotta be something.

Just before checking for responses, I did try the pencil eraser. I used to play with slot cars too! It may be awhile before I'll know if it worked. I've made rides of 25 miles with no noticeable problem. I can tell because I always get very consistent readings of 12.52 miles one way. It might sometimes say 12.51, but nothing else unless it is acting up.

If the problem isn't solved, I guess I'll looking into the WD40 approach.

Thanks to both of you.

Bob
Old 08-15-03, 11:39 PM
road siklista

Bikes: Custom Knolly Chilcotin Limited Edition Orange, Dartmoor Wish, KHS 7500, Custom built Specialized Camber, S-Works Road, Cannondale Trail mtb, Polini MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i had that problem with a trek computer...

The problem was intermittent.. Cleaning the contacts was no help..

So I took out the battery, and discovered that the battery contacts had corroded a bit..
Old 08-15-03, 11:56 PM
Da Big Kahuna

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, I never thought about the battery. Good point to check if the other things don't work. Since, so far, it has worked for at least a short time when I take it off and put it right back on, I hope that is all I have to do. If the battery needs to be taken out, I don't think I can set the odometer to the old numbers (I assume it will reset to zero), so hopefully I won't have to do that.

Bob
Old 08-16-03, 05:21 AM
road siklista

Bikes: Custom Knolly Chilcotin Limited Edition Orange, Dartmoor Wish, KHS 7500, Custom built Specialized Camber, S-Works Road, Cannondale Trail mtb, Polini MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by TheRCF
Oh, I never thought about the battery. Good point to check if the other things don't work. Since, so far, it has worked for at least a short time when I take it off and put it right back on, I hope that is all I have to do. If the battery needs to be taken out, I don't think I can set the odometer to the old numbers (I assume it will reset to zero), so hopefully I won't have to do that.

Bob
I don't know about the cateye's but on my sigma sport computer i can set the odometer back to the prev. setting before i took out the battery. Just take note of your odometer reading before taking it out though..

Good luck.