Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Need a new hybrid bike...help please?

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-07, 08:59 AM
Apprentice Peddler

Bikes: Giant Nutra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am 56 years old and currently own an older Giant Nutra bike which has served me well over the years. I think at the time it was considered a cross bike. Times change and so does technology and I am looking to upgrade. My riding consists of mainly 30 mile and under trips on either pavement or crushed limestone trails. I think I prefer an upright position rather than drop handlebars.

I am thinking I need a hybrid or comfort bike from what I have read but I really don't know. Since I do not presently have fork or seat post shocks on my bike I am not sure if I would even want them. I am a tall rider 6'3" with a 32" inseam. and I weigh about 245 lbs. After going to the cycle shops locally I have not really made any decisions. It seems many of them try and sell you what they have in stock instead of what you need.

Are there some bikes for taller riders generally accepted to be good that I should be looking at? I would like to stay under $700 if possible.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Old 10-06-07, 01:21 PM

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Super Sport, 2003 Trek 7500FX and 5500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might look at the FX bikes from Trek. They omit the shocks on the fork and seat post, and ride more like road bikes than mountain bikes. If the crushed limestone is large, then you might want 700x35 tires rather than the stock 700x32's.

The 7.5fx is a 9 speed and lists for $789 but you can probably find a one for less since the new models are on the way.

I have the 2003 version, 7500fx and it has been great. BTW, I am 6'1" and weigh 205.
Old 10-06-07, 03:03 PM

Bikes: Just sold my Raliegh Alyeska :o(

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I second that moition, THe FX should be nice. I too have just started looking and tried a few treks and a Giant. Non cannondale yet. THe Trek Fx just flowed nicely, really felt great with the flat bars. THen I tried another brand with shocks and it is a lil' sluggish. I'd still like to have a bike with shocks, but I'd rather flow smoothly on the road, around town and pulling the kid in a trailer.
Old 10-06-07, 04:13 PM
Hybrid Fan

Bikes: 2008 Trek 7500 hybrid & 1994 Trek 830 dirtbike with road biased tires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought the 2008 Trek 7500 because I wanted a good quality bike that would be decent on both the road and gravel trails while still remaining comfortable. I paid $729 at my local dealer and that included a kickstand.

The 2008 Trek 7.5FX and 7500 are very similar. The 7.5FX is more road biased, has a smaller/lighter seat, no suspension (but carbon fork) and a 25mm rise on the handlebars for a slightly more upright position than flat. I believe the tires are 700 x 32 size.

I chose the 7500 because the seat was more comfort oriented, it had a 50mm rise on the handlebars (even more upright), suspension seatpost, and a relatively lightweight integrated front suspension. What pushed me over the edge was the 700 x 35 tires which can handle rail trails, where as the 700 x 32's on the FX should probably be exchanged for the 35's if gravel is in your future.

From what I can tell, the price and level of components are very similar. So I highly suggest you check them out and see which one matches your riding style and body best.

One warning...it seems like when you mention comfort bicycles many shops assume you want something cheap. In my case, this wasn't necessarily true. Both of these series also have a 7.3 or 7300 model for about $550. However, from what I can tell, the component upgrades were definitely worth $200.

Good Luck!
Old 10-06-07, 05:36 PM
Apprentice Peddler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by doghouse
You might look at the FX bikes from Trek. They omit the shocks on the fork and seat post, and ride more like road bikes than mountain bikes. If the crushed limestone is large, then you might want 700x35 tires rather than the stock 700x32's.

The 7.5fx is a 9 speed and lists for $789 but you can probably find a one for less since the new models are on the way.

I have the 2003 version, 7500fx and it has been great. BTW, I am 6'1" and weigh 205.
Actually the limestone is very fine so it's not a rough ride at all. The only things I need to look out for are road debris such as fallen stick etc. My current bike has 700x38c tires and they seem just right for me.

Thanks for the recommendations gentleman.
Old 10-06-07, 07:33 PM

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Super Sport, 2003 Trek 7500FX and 5500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Actually the limestone is very fine so it's not a rough ride at all."

Then you owe it to yourself to at least try out the 700x32 tires. They will do well on fine gravel and smoke your current tires on the pavement! Not saying you will chose them, but at least test ride 'em.
Old 10-06-07, 08:11 PM
Apprentice Peddler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by doghouse
"Actually the limestone is very fine so it's not a rough ride at all."

Then you owe it to yourself to at least try out the 700x32 tires. They will do well on fine gravel and smoke your current tires on the pavement! Not saying you will chose them, but at least test ride 'em.
While I enjoy riding I truly am a novice when it comes to picking equipment. That is why I came here for advice. I have had my present bike for about 10 years and I really don't know what's available out there. I suppose what I need is to find a good bike store to get some professional help. It's hard to really test a bike well at the dealer without using it for an extended period. My intentions are to try a variety of bikes.
Old 10-08-07, 02:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've Ridden a Specialized Sirrus for years, and it's been great: https://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...64&language=US

I've recently added a road and a TT bike to the lineup.
Old 10-09-07, 06:44 AM
wll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look at the Novara Safari !

I just got into biking and my first bike was a Specialized Crossroads Elite, a very nice bike. I'm 59 and thought I needed this type of style for comfort.

Last month I bought a Specialized S-Works E5 (a 2006 Bike new) and it is a racing machine, but ...... the bike that I would ride the most would be a hybrid, but no one seemed to make it like I wanted (was very much considering buying a Surly Cross-Check and building my own) ........ until I saw REI's Novara Safari.

What an incredible bike, with very good components, can be used for commuting, dirt roads, back roads, and maybe light touring, has a GREAT handlebar set up and is priced right. Because of this I'm selling my Crossroads. No need for it, and I'll use that money to get the Safari.

Go on REI's web site and take a look, or better yet, go down to there shop (if you have one near you) and look at it yourself, I think you will be impressed.

wll
Old 10-11-07, 11:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi. I'm currently on my third "real" bike. I've gone from a Specialized Rockhopper to a Specialized Expedition Elite to my current bike, an '08 Trek 7.5fx.

We've had several bike paths built in our area in the past couple of years, and I was looking for something that would be suitable for paths and allow me to keep up with my wife. I really like my 7.5fx. It's fast, light yet responsive.

The LBS replaced the stock Bontrager handlebar with a Bontrager handlebar with more rise. I also replaced the seat with my Terry Liberator. Finally, I installed the Ergon GC2 grips which are really nice for my wrists, since I've been using computers for the past 24 years.

I don't miss my seat suspension at all, but I could notice the difference of not having a front suspension when running through debris on the back path. The 700x32 tires may have also contributed to my noticing the difference. Note that while I noticed the difference, I do not have a preference towards having front suspension.

At your height, I imagine you'd fit the 22.5" or 25" Treks. The 22.5" was right for me (6'2"/240 lbs/33.5" inseam).

The key thing is, find a bike that fits you! One LBS here didn't even have me try different size bikes. The guy just said "20". When asked if he had any 22" on display, he said "No." This led me to believe he was just trying to sell me a bike, not a bike that fit me (the same impression you had during your buying experience). The Trek store OTOH, had me try the 25" after I had rode the 22.5" ("just to be sure").

Good luck and let us know what you buy.
Old 10-12-07, 08:22 AM
No weenie bikes here!

Bikes: Rans Velocity Squared

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
See my other post....

I'm posting my experience with a Specialized Expedition. They come in different frame sizes, so fitting you should not be a problem. The Specialized Crossroads is a 700C bike which is very similar. Both have a front shock, and a slightly suspended seatpost. I'm coming back to diamond frames from recumbents, and have found this frame to fit me well. I might also recommend the Giant Cypress, if you want to stay with 700c tires.

Good luck!