Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Kenny Souza DNF at Furnace Creek

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-07, 02:26 PM

Bikes: Moots, Trek, Kona

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kenny Souza DNF at Furnace Creek

Kenny Souza is listed as "DNF due to mechanical."

Is this a bike issue?
Or a crew vehicle issue?

Anyone have any information?

I have a few acquaintances racing; but the website hasn't had updates with respect to a large percentage of the racers since about 5am this morning. Anyone have news???

JP
Old 10-08-07, 08:39 PM
labeled rude by nOObs

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Pinarello Tandem, Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixed Gear, Serotta CSI Custom, Bianchi Campione del Monde, Cervelo P3 Carbon

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JP1971
Kenny Souza is listed as "DNF due to mechanical."

Is this a bike issue?
Or a crew vehicle issue?

Anyone have any information?

I have a few acquaintances racing; but the website hasn't had updates with respect to a large percentage of the racers since about 5am this morning. Anyone have news???

JP
Do you have any clue where this race is held? Many of the "towns" we roll through look like ghost towns. In addition, there many (read most) sections that don't have cell coverage let alone wi-fi to do computer uploads. Take a look at the course and you will see how remote it is. It is this isolation that makes it the ideal racing platform for a solo ultra racer. Solitude just me and my bike. OH AND THE BEST CREW IN THE BIZ!!
Old 10-09-07, 01:35 PM

Bikes: Trek T900, GT Outpost

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vireo, I wouldn't be too hard on him. Most people don't realize this race is out in the middle of f'in nowhere. I only know it because I recently drove up 395 with some friends from LA to Reno and got to see first hand how desolate it is.

In any case, I'm assuming you're the same Vireo that completed the 508 on a fixed gear this year. Congrats on the great ride!

Rick
Old 10-09-07, 01:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, a real 508 racer. Nice to meet you. Hats off for doing it fixed, too! That's gotta be brutal.

Having driven from socal to Reno (where I live) a number of times, and knowing how many roads just never seem to end... its like the MOON out there, but with roads!
Old 10-09-07, 03:13 PM
labeled rude by nOObs

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Pinarello Tandem, Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixed Gear, Serotta CSI Custom, Bianchi Campione del Monde, Cervelo P3 Carbon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Buckshot77
Vireo, I wouldn't be too hard on him. Most people don't realize this race is out in the middle of f'in nowhere. I only know it because I recently drove up 395 with some friends from LA to Reno and got to see first hand how desolate it is.

In any case, I'm assuming you're the same Vireo that completed the 508 on a fixed gear this year. Congrats on the great ride!

Rick
Thank you it is me. My totem is RED EYED VIREO but I go by Vireo for short. It was very difficult for me with a 49 x 17 about 77GI. I've done some pretty extreme things on my bike before but this was the hardest thing I've done on my FG.

The course is very remote and that is what appeals to me the most.
Old 10-09-07, 03:15 PM
labeled rude by nOObs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rykoala
Wow, a real 508 racer. Nice to meet you. Hats off for doing it fixed, too! That's gotta be brutal.

Having driven from socal to Reno (where I live) a number of times, and knowing how many roads just never seem to end... its like the MOON out there, but with roads!
Thank you. This is my second Solo finish in as many attempts. It goes without saying but ...IT WAS ALOT TOUGHER FIXED!!
Old 10-09-07, 04:20 PM
labeled rude by nOObs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
JP1971 got your PM. No need for PMs I'm a big boy you can post on the board. Since I "muddle through endurance racing" then maybe you can share with us your resume.
Old 10-09-07, 06:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vireo
Do you have any clue where this race is held? Many of the "towns" we roll through look like ghost towns. In addition, there many (read most) sections that don't have cell coverage let alone wi-fi to do computer uploads. Take a look at the course and you will see how remote it is. It is this isolation that makes it the ideal racing platform for a solo ultra racer. Solitude just me and my bike. OH AND THE BEST CREW IN THE BIZ!!
Does anyone have any clue about what any of this has to do with the question the OP asked?
Old 10-09-07, 08:59 PM
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ConstantRider
Does anyone have any clue about what any of this has to do with the question the OP asked?
Methinks he's pointing out how difficult it is to get more info until the dust has settled.
Old 10-11-07, 08:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ConstantRider
+1

The OP is obviously familiar with the 508.
Old 10-11-07, 01:23 PM
labeled rude by nOObs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
Methinks he's pointing out how difficult it is to get more info until the dust has settled.
yes thank you.
Old 10-11-07, 01:24 PM
labeled rude by nOObs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Goonster
+1

The OP is obviously familiar with the 508.
I seriously doubt it.
Old 10-11-07, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I think the point is that we do try to be civil to one another on the LD forum, even if we are "competitive" LD riders.
Old 10-11-07, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
I think the point is that we do try to be civil to one another on the LD forum, even if we are "competitive" LD riders.
+1

Pointing out the rigors of the course in this race is one thing. Being kind of an ***** while doing it is another. It is possible to point out the remote nature of this race while being polite at the same time.

-D
Old 10-11-07, 02:46 PM
labeled rude by nOObs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by derath
+1

Pointing out the rigors of the course in this race is one thing. Being kind of an ***** while doing it is another. It is possible to point out the remote nature of this race while being polite at the same time.

-D
I think you are all being too sensitive. In time you will get to know me--or not--your choice. I don't mince words or actions. My posts are "matter of fact" type and I debunk myths. Maybe you are taking offense because of my direct manner of speaking. I speak from experience and don't comment on things I know nothing about. I defer those topics to the subject matter experts. I have made my fair share of mistakes in my 5 years of Ultra riding and have a few successes as well and subsequentlyI have a lot to share.

Last edited by Vireo; 10-11-07 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-11-07, 03:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vireo
I think you are all being too sensitive. In time you will get to know me--or not--your choice. I don't mince words or actions. My posts are "matter of fact" type and I debunk myths. Maybe you are taking offense because of my direct manner of speaking. I speak from experience and don't comment on things I know nothing about. I defer those topics to the subject matter experts. I have made a fair share of mistakes in my 5 years of Ultra riding and have a few successes as well and subsequentlyI have a lot to share.
There is a difference between "matter of fact" and "lack of tact"

And given this is an internet forum (for which we only know each other by what we type) how we get to know you is in fact largely your choice.

-D
Old 10-11-07, 04:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Indeed, there is a fine line between telling someone they are open minded and telling them they're an airhead. Tact is about making friends without making enemies.

But, we ALL need to remember that its just the interweb. Arguing on the internet is like winning the special olympics. Sure, you won, but you're still ********.

[edit: THAT was not tactful. HA.]
Old 10-11-07, 05:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rykoala
[edit: THAT was not tactful. HA.]
More tactful than posting the picture

Old 10-12-07, 07:39 AM

Bikes: 1991 (?) Trek 1420; 2006 Trek 2100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This may irk some folks, but who is Kenny Souza?
Old 10-12-07, 08:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From Kenny Himself

Souza posted this on Slowtwitch about his DNF:
Ok i just sucked... at 200 miles i felt good in 3rd place, but when i got on my climbing bike the chain got sucked up in my back wheel i had to get back on my tt bike i changed out the cogs on the dics wheels to ride the tt for the nrxt 300 miles but i needed a road bike to do the climbs. but in all honesty i needed 4 more weeks in the saddle of tranning. All the athletes who raced were awesome and if you ever want to do an EPIC event race this one www.the508.com
Kenny Souza

For the person who asked who Kenny Souza was, he was the Agassi of duathlon many, many years ago. He was known for his long flowing hair, and his pink speedo. He is one hell of a cyclist and runner. He seems to be focusing on LD cycling now.

https://souzapower.com/
Old 10-12-07, 07:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He was HOT - WAY back in his duathlon days ;-)
And derath, your "poster" is in very bad taste - but i'm still laughing.
Old 10-12-07, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Yeah, the pink bikini deal... It was said that he put the "bi" in "biathlon". Also that he was the reason the skiing/shooting guys took their name back. But that's neither here nor there, I suppose...