Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Long Distance Recumbents

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Long Distance Recumbents

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-07, 08:50 AM
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Long Distance Recumbents

I posted this already in the LD Cycling Forum, but I thought some folks here might enjoy the site as well:

LD Bents
Old 10-08-07, 09:32 AM
dam this is fun !

Bikes: Hurricane Low Racer ! and a Masi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
good info there, thanks
Old 11-03-07, 05:49 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by pprayers
I guess what it really shows me that I seem to be in a totally different league than what I've seen on this forum.
I'd agree with that statement. Brevets and long events are totally different from Forrest Gump going around the world twice. It's the difference between doing a long ride on a weekend or taking two months off work. If you want a page devoted to the kind of riding you're doing, well... it seems you have a web site that's available.
Old 11-22-07, 09:54 AM

Bikes: EZ Sport AX- Specialized Expedition Plus eight others for wife and others that come down

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pprayes I thought about you yesterday as I met a guy on what I am pretty sure was a EZ Speedster headed down high way one about fifteen miles south of Daytona Beach.
Wink
Old 11-24-07, 10:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My question to you is what are you doing to make your fellow passengers on this planet better?
If you meant "... to make your fellow passengers CIRCUMSTANCES better." Fair enough.

If not, how can a minister of the gospel be as arrogant & prideful to suggest anything within themselves can make other people better. Any true believers I've met have always given the kudos for helping people to their Lord.
Old 11-26-07, 07:15 AM

Bikes: EZ Sport AX- Specialized Expedition Plus eight others for wife and others that come down

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HI Wink,

If it was earlier in the year, it might have been me but I was actually heading north to Maine. I'm in Waveland, MS right now doing relief work at the Katrina Relief Center. I rode between Edgewater and North Daytona mostly on U.S. 1 back on March 18th. You would have known it was me since I was on a blue recumbent with a lot of gear on the back of the recumbent and I had a square orange safety sign fastened on the back with a graphic of my ministry logo with a cross on it and my website URL. The mileage listed on my sign would have been 167,000 miles. I'm over 176,000 miles now.
You were with in a few miles of me when you got to the main stop light in New Smyrna Beach.At One and Canal St.
Wink
Old 12-08-07, 08:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got your message Wink. Sorry that I missed it. I'm in SW Louisiana getting ready to cross into SE Texas tomorrow. I'm looking at maybe riding in FL in March. If you are still in NSB let me know. I'd like to stop in and meet you.

We don`t intend to move.We about decided this is our last stop on this earth.We have good friends good neighbors and good weather.Now and then a hurricane comes by and puts a few trees in the house but other than that every thing is great.Come on down.
Wink
Old 12-09-07, 06:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the invite Wink. Why don't you send me a PM with your address and phone number. I'll put in my address book. I was interviewed by the newspaper in New Smyrna Beach back on March 18, 1995. I was thinking that I might have had a link to it on my website but I don't.

It is in your mail box.
Wink
Old 12-10-07, 12:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that your LD Bents blog is okay but what about extreme-long distance touring? Don't we qualify also?

I recently completed a 5 month long tour through 27 states in the USA with a distance of 9,000 miles. A coast to coast trip for me is a short trip.
You might find something you like at this site https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/ Just scroll down to Journals by Category and click on recumbents. For example https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?..._id=2358&v=1GU Being the off season there's not many touring riders out but there's a load of archives to read and thousands of great pictures. Although it's not a bent, Joff Summerfield's world tour on a high wheeler (Penny Farthing) is a good read.

Bob
Old 12-15-07, 09:51 PM
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbaxter
You might find something you like at this site https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/ Just scroll down to Journals by Category and click on recumbents. For example https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?..._id=2358&v=1GU Being the off season there's not many touring riders out but there's a load of archives to read and thousands of great pictures. Although it's not a bent, Joff Summerfield's world tour on a high wheeler (Penny Farthing) is a good read.

Bob
Hey Bob,

crazyguyonabike is a great site... I've been reading for years. Lots of interesting long distance tour journals on there.

A few good ones I've read lately are:

- a tour from California to Malaysia via Europe, Turkey and a number of the 'Stans.

- a tour from Alaska down to the tip of South America

- a tour from Inuvik to Seattle

It is a great spot to drop in and read about other people's cycle adventures...

Thanks for that bent tour link I'm going to have a read and forget about the cold weather outside...

Last edited by vik; 12-18-07 at 02:46 PM.