Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Help, is this possible to convert?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-07, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys, Im new to this site and the whole fixed gear world. I recently rode a friends fixed gear and loved it. I was wondering if converting this bike was possible and how I could do it for as little cash as possible, heres a link to the bike, https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/442844471.html Now my main concern was the rear hub. Im not exactly sure how it all works but my friend has a flip flop hub which i definitly want to be able to ride both the single and fixed, the guy selling the bike said he has extra rims for sale that are black, which Is the color I want. Now it is as simple as purchasing the bike, purchasing the rims and purchasing a flip flop hub and installing the hub in the rear tire and just swapping the existing front hub onto the new rim and putting them back on the bike? or is there alot more mechanical work that would have to be done IE a new crank and what not? I was hoping to just purchase the bike, the parts necessary for the flip flop hub and some new pedals and was going to paint the bike myself. Am I making this scenario to simple or is it alot more complicated than Im thinking it is? Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
Old 10-09-07, 07:58 AM

Bikes: DW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that's not worth $160.
Old 10-09-07, 08:32 AM

Bikes: Continuously changing assortment. Do Two Unicycles make one bike?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the main problem you might run into with that bike, is anything involving the bottom bracket. Cottered cranks are indicators of a lower end bike and I have seen a few fail. unless you are just going to use it as a frame and replace the bottom bracket (if thats possible, depends on threading and availability of parts), I would look for a Schwinn or something Japanese like a nishiki. and yes, aside from adjusting the brakes, taking off all the excess junk, and perfecting the chain line, all you need is a wheel set, which may or may not be cheaper than rebuilding one for you. Wheel sets usually go for $180 shipped.
if you find a bike frame for next to nothing, you can convert for about $300 and some change, assuming no new crank is installed and no new anything else that goes with it.

You seem like a perfect candidate for a bikesdirect bike or even better, at least an IRO while they are on sale

if you want to start from scratch though and convert,
https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/443805711.html
Old 10-09-07, 08:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i can't tell from the small picture, but you should make sure that's not a cottered crank on there. if it is, you will want a new crank.
Old 10-09-07, 09:18 AM

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
70's Boom Bike Peugeot. If you search around, you can find some serial number databases to find the exact age of your bike. I don't think it's worth $160, either but post it in the Classic and Vintage forum and they'll tell you to the dime what it's worth.

Just don't tell them you plan to convert it to fixed gear. Some of them insist on doing complete restorations on bikes that'll never be worth much.

Cottered cranks are okay, get new cotter pins from the LBS; they are cheap. Oftentimes a pain to remove, though. A new crank will be lighter and stiffer, though. You can use the inner chainring, remove the outer one. Get some short BMX style crank bolts to replace the old, longer ones.

The bottom bracket may be problematic. If it's French, keep it, take good care of it. Finding a replacement will be expensive.
Old 10-09-07, 09:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you can get Phil Wood 35mm x 1mm French Bottom bracket cups for $44 and use a cartridge BB.
and yeah $160 is way to steep for that bike.
Old 10-09-07, 09:55 AM
jack of one or two trades

Bikes: Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Offer the dude $20, then sell it to some idiot who doesn't come here first for $160.

French threadings + crappy frame + crappy parts = waste of time and money.
Old 10-09-07, 10:17 AM
Spelling Snob

Bikes: Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I saw a bike almost identical to that for $20 at a charity resale shop.
I also considered picking it up for a conversion, but the "old french"
bb size is a tough specification to work with if you want to keep the
price down.

The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!
Old 10-09-07, 01:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmm, thanks for the input guys, sounds like I still need to do some searching, I also saw a fuji track bike for sale and this one https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/443220488.html, ill attatch a pic, how does everyone feel about these options? second one seems kinda pricey though

pic of bike https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=1&at...58540a59dd9cd3
Old 10-09-07, 01:15 PM
如果你能讀了這個你講中文

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mags78
hmm, thanks for the input guys, sounds like I still need to do some searching, I also saw a fuji track bike for sale and this one https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/443220488.html, ill attatch a pic, how does everyone feel about these options? second one seems kinda pricey though

pic of bike https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=1&at...58540a59dd9cd3
we can't see the pic, but that's not a bad deal with all the parts included, assuming nothing is really wrong with the frame
Old 10-09-07, 02:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ahh sorry, Ill see if I can upload it to the forum , the more I look at it the more I kinda like it, If all the parts are there perhaps I could just ride it till I get the cash for the wheels and tires I want then just swap everything over? After doing some research on the forums I have also seen this bike suggested https://bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/kilott.htm it seems like a decent bike but I am interested in making the bike my own, theirs a certain satisfaction in knowing its yours with peices youve selected rather than just a package from a store, any more suggestions? thanks guys, hopefully Ill get one soon and be riding in no time!

Oh I forgot to add, I found this bike for sale as well and was very interested in it https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/433801411.html, Im a little worried because it says its a track bike and I wanna do some street riding, how risky do you think that is ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mail1.jpg (57.8 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by mags78; 10-09-07 at 02:44 PM. Reason: update
Old 10-10-07, 01:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol please help me so I dont make a foolish purchase
Old 10-10-07, 01:36 PM
jack of one or two trades

Bikes: Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get the Fuji. Repaint it if you must "make it yours".
Old 10-11-07, 04:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well im actually thinking of getting just the frame that was posted on craigs list and starting from scratch, any tips on taking it this route?
Old 10-11-07, 04:25 AM
fixed or bent

Bikes: 1989 Panasonic Track 4000, 2000 Burley Django (bike show prototype), 1980's Serotta Custom Criterium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is your total budget?
Old 10-11-07, 06:17 AM
Spelling Snob

Bikes: Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
ahh sorry, Ill see if I can upload it to the forum , the more I look at it the more I kinda like it, If all the parts are there perhaps I could just ride it till I get the cash for the wheels and tires I want then just swap everything over? After doing some research on the forums I have also seen this bike suggested https://bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/kilott.htm it seems like a decent bike but I am interested in making the bike my own, theirs a certain satisfaction in knowing its yours with peices youve selected rather than just a package from a store, any more suggestions? thanks guys, hopefully Ill get one soon and be riding in no time!

Oh I forgot to add, I found this bike for sale as well and was very interested in it https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/433801411.html, Im a little worried because it says its a track bike and I wanna do some street riding, how risky do you think that is ?
It already has a front brake. SS vs FG is up to you with selection of a cog or freewheel.
You dont need a chain tensioner on that bike if you go SS, but it may be good to add
a rear brake- Singlespeeds can require a bit more help stopping.

The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!
Old 10-11-07, 06:21 AM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
lol please help me so I dont make a foolish purchase
You should've bought it then post asking if it was a good deal

Last edited by operator; 10-11-07 at 06:27 AM.