Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Best Wireless Cyclocomputer?-Sigma RDS Sucks!

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-07, 09:42 AM
use your best eye

Bikes: '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have been using the Sigma (1600) RDS Wireless. I have to check often to see that it's operating, and then have to fiddle with the sensor position a lot to get it working/reading again. Needless to say, it's a hassle to have to do this. This is Sigma's older generation system- I don't know anything about their newer ('digital?') incarnation, perhaps someone here does.

I've done a search here and what I've come up with is that the Cateye Micro has a well-favored status with MTB BikeForum users. I'm leaning toward it, what have you to say on this?

And yes, I DO consider just riding and having fun my main focus on the bike- but I also like having the computer info as well.

Your opinions and recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-09-07, 09:52 AM
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- interesting... haven't had a problem w/the four Sigma RDS setups on my rides...

- *but*, when the CR2032 in the sender unit went out on each after two years, i replaced each w/the wired Sigma harness...

- wired == simpler for me, requiring only one battery for the 'puter...

(i only care about having a resettable odometer, mph, time of ride, so the low-end Sigmas are fine for me - YMMV)
Old 10-09-07, 10:32 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll just say that OP isn't the only one to experience issues with that hardware.
Old 10-09-07, 10:51 AM

Bikes: Specialized XC Comp M4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wireless Cateye has been going strong for the past few years. Never had a problem with it. And it's seen all the different weather conditions as well.
Old 10-13-07, 11:35 AM
use your best eye

Bikes: '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Everyone- Thanks for your postings here. I picked up a Cateye Micro wireless and it functions very well, beats the pants off the Sigma. I highly recommend this computer!
Old 10-14-07, 10:19 AM

Bikes: 21 spd Univega - duallie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just finished shopping around for a decent computer that wouldn't break my bank. I ended up going with the Cateye (not the wireless) but the majority if reviews for cateye computers were positive and their cost is very competetive.

If you don't mind waiting a week or two for the item then check them out on Ebay.
Old 10-14-07, 03:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cateye? VDO?
Old 10-14-07, 11:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Trek computer and it works better than my Sigma ever did and it was only $40. USD.
Old 10-15-07, 03:46 AM
proud of his bunny

Bikes: 2006 Masi Gran Corsa Premio custom build: Full 105, Easton EC70 fork, Easton Circuit Wheelset // 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper (stock for now)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using a wireless Cateye Micro on my road bike for over a year with not a problem. I would highly recommend it! I'm going to get one for my Stumpjumper soon (as soon as I have money )

The only issue I have with the Cateye is that I forgot how to program it after not touching the settings for a year, and I can't figure out how to reset the trip counter. Yes this is definitely user error. When I get my next Cateye, I'll be sure to hang onto the tiny manual they bundle with it.

Set it and forget it is nice. But reset after forget it is a bit twisted. Not like easy. More like how this text box keeps moving around. These are bizarre perceptions...
Old 10-15-07, 05:32 AM
BFG
Just say no to brakes.

Bikes: All the TGMBG mums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im thinking about getting a computer for the DH bike.

Just to see my speed, avg. speed and top speed mainly at the end of the run (Bugger looking down at a computer mid run!), just to see how im progressing, if i am at all, what being a noobie and all to DH.

Hot dang i need a job.
Old 10-15-07, 06:27 AM
Official Website Waterboy

Bikes: a lot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinn-X
I've been using a wireless Cateye Micro on my road bike for over a year with not a problem. I would highly recommend it! I'm going to get one for my Stumpjumper soon (as soon as I have money )

The only issue I have with the Cateye is that I forgot how to program it after not touching the settings for a year, and I can't figure out how to reset the trip counter. Yes this is definitely user error. When I get my next Cateye, I'll be sure to hang onto the tiny manual they bundle with it.

Set it and forget it is nice. But reset after forget it is a bit twisted. Not like easy. More like how this text box keeps moving around. These are bizarre perceptions...
https://www.cateye.com/sites/cateye/u...C100Wv2ENG.pdf
Old 10-17-07, 01:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you don't mind spending the money, the Garmin Edge 350 is my favorite cyclocomputer. I bought the deluxe package on eBay that has both the heart rate monitor and cadence sensor for only $275 shipped. It also has adaptors for TWO bikes! No more figuring out wheel diameter or such. Just plug it in and go!

I've been uploading the collected data into Motionbased.com and downloading turn-by-turn routes from Geoladders. Much more informative than the $25-$50 option.