Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Anyone use Forté City ST MTB Tire?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-07, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone use this tire? I have WTB velociraptors on now, very knobbie, but they were all I had laying around. I'm looking for a cheap tire, and I found these. Also, what about the Gotham ones? (Second pic)
FYI, these are for a mountain commuter, 26" wheels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
44-1656-NCL-TREAD.jpg (25.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg
50-6875-026-TREAD.jpg (17.0 KB, 44 views)
Old 10-10-07, 07:56 AM
Version 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a pair of these about 300 miles ago and I'm pretty happy with them. They're nothing to rave about but they are a decent tire. A decent ride, not too much drag and no flats to date. Not much else to ask for at that price.
Old 10-10-07, 08:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rankin116
Anyone use this tire? I have WTB velociraptors on now, very knobbie, but they were all I had laying around. I'm looking for a cheap tire, and I found these. Also, what about the Gotham ones? (Second pic)
FYI, these are for a mountain commuter, 26" wheels.
I bought these last spring. Best $12 I've spent on my bike. They roll well, corner well and, knock on wood, I haven't had a puncture yet.
Old 10-10-07, 08:28 AM
that bike nut

Bikes: 2010 Motobecane Immortal Force 90' Trek 1400; 90' Trek 850; 06' Trek 520; 01 Iron Horse Victory

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I used them for a year on my mountain bike before I switched to a road bike. They were very good tires. 1 flat in over 1000 miles.
Old 10-10-07, 08:45 AM
Trans-Urban Velocommando

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got the Slick City (same tire, no tread) on my hybrid. They came already used on a used mountain bike I bought about a year ago, and I moved them to my hybrid after switching to knobbies on the MTB. I've easily put 750 miles on them, and they were well-worn when I got them. The only flats I've gotten was from a construction staple (basically 2 nails together) and one really bad goat-head. They roll smooth and fast. If you ride on pavement, you'll love using these instead of the mud tires you've got now.
Old 10-10-07, 08:59 AM

Bikes: Raleigh Glacier MTB/Commuter. Cannondale CAAD5, Windsor Timeline fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have them and I like them alot. Of course the only thing I have to compare them to is the 2" knobbies I took off the bike. Although i wish I would of gotten the 1.25" (Slick City's?) instead of the 1.5" City ST which is what I think aXon has. The 1.5" just isnt as skinny as I thought they would be. They just look like a shaved 2" knobbie to me.
Old 10-10-07, 09:40 AM
Trans-Urban Velocommando

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yah my Slick City STs are 1.25 and they're basically 32mm road bike tires on 26" wheels. I *heart* them very much.
Old 10-10-07, 09:45 AM
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the Kevlar-belted (wire bead) version of the City ST on my commuter. Mine were actually called Cross ST because they were 700c. They worked great for me, pretty quick rolling, no flats, very confidence-inspiring in the rain and on cracked pavement. Do it!
Old 10-10-07, 10:51 AM
Warning:Mild Peril

Bikes: Cilo, Surly Pacer, Kona Fire Mountain w/Bob Trailer, Scattante

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have used those tires for going on ten years. For the price I think they are the best out there. Did they stop making the kevlar belted ones?
Old 10-10-07, 11:00 AM
The wrong side of normal

Bikes: '98 GT Agressor/ just gifted Iron Horse Maverick/ Cannondale Synapse Sport (FAST)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use them as well and have been very happy with them. I used to have a pair of Armadillo slicks, but cant find them any more...the city slicks seem a bit more goathead prone than the armadillo's but overall very good. 5 flats in 800 miles, all in one week!!!
Old 10-10-07, 11:32 AM
Cycling Skier

Bikes: 2019 Moots Vamoots DR, 2008 Pedal Force ZX3, 2006 Jamis Eclipse, 1997 Marin Indian Fire Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use 'em and love 'em.

Had one pair (the now-discontinued 1.5" City ST-K - now the 1.5" is only available in a kevlar-free version) that lasted me over 3,000 miles with only one puncture flat (and most of the riding on them was in urban conditions with fields of glass and other detritus). They eventually failed when the wire bead tore from the sidewall during one of my seasonal rotations of the tires.

I'm about 600 miles into my second set (the newer, kevlar-free ones) and they're just as good.
Old 10-10-07, 11:34 AM
Cycling Skier

Bikes: 2019 Moots Vamoots DR, 2008 Pedal Force ZX3, 2006 Jamis Eclipse, 1997 Marin Indian Fire Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Treespeed
I have used those tires for going on ten years. For the price I think they are the best out there. Did they stop making the kevlar belted ones?
Sadly, the 1.5" model isn't available in a kevlar-belted model. But the 1.25" model still is.
Old 10-10-07, 01:34 PM
not a role model

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They're "good for the price" which doesn't say a whole lot considering they're the cheapest thing on the market.

The tread and casing seemed to be on the thin side to me. I seemed to have a higher incidence of flats with these than other tires, though I didn't have them on too terribly long. I would personally spend more money on a different tire now, but for someone looking for something cheap I would recommend them.