Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Fundraising

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-07, 01:38 PM

Bikes: 2007 Norco Katmandu, building a 2006 Norco Bigfoot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fundraising

Hey, first of all, this isn't really about bikes, but I didn't know where else to say this so...

I'm doing a school fundraiser, selling magazine subscriptions (new ones or renewals), and was wondering who I can sell to. I've sold 11 subscriptions so far, but there's other people ahead of me for the top seller prize, which is an iPod (forget which one). I've gone door-to-door, called the local library, but now I'm stuck. Can anyone give me some ideas?

Thanks!
Old 10-11-07, 02:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anyone?
Old 10-11-07, 02:17 PM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The winner is usually the person who:

a) Has parents who have the most influence at work and exploit it.

b) Has the most relatives.

and/or

c) Is the most obnoxious.

Very rarely is it someone who actually works the hardest.

Good luck!

I would suggest simply hitting the streets and asking everyone you see. Set up a table at a busy street corner. Ask a parent or other adult relative to sell subscriptions at work... Post on community bulletin boards if any are available.

Don't push the "Help me earn an iPod" angle except to people that care about you... Sell the magazines. Push how great a deal it is on wonderful magazines. Learn the product! Be a salesman/woman. Be enthusiastic about the product. Watch a few infomercials... see how it is done. Seem sincere...

Also push the school group (or whatever you are raising funds for) as well. but don't just say "I'm raising money for the bandl" Be excited... "We're raising money to get the best possible trombone for the band" or whatever you can express the most passion about.

I'll be honest, to ensure winning the iPod, you will work as hard as if you actually got a job and earned the money... So you really should want to raise money for the cause as well, otherwise, just earn the money!

Just my three cents worth!

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 10-11-07, 03:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin
The winner is usually the person who:

a) Has parents who have the most influence at work and exploit it.

b) Has the most relatives.

and/or

c) Is the most obnoxious.

Very rarely is it someone who actually works the hardest.

Good luck!

I would suggest simply hitting the streets and asking everyone you see. Set up a table at a busy street corner. Ask a parent or other adult relative to sell subscriptions at work... Post on community bulletin boards if any are available.

Don't push the "Help me earn an iPod" angle except to people that care about you... Sell the magazines. Push how great a deal it is on wonderful magazines. Learn the product! Be a salesman/woman. Be enthusiastic about the product. Watch a few infomercials... see how it is done. Seem sincere...

Also push the school group (or whatever you are raising funds for) as well. but don't just say "I'm raising money for the bandl" Be excited... "We're raising money to get the best possible trombone for the band" or whatever you can express the most passion about.

I'll be honest, to ensure winning the iPod, you will work as hard as if you actually got a job and earned the money... So you really should want to raise money for the cause as well, otherwise, just earn the money!

Just my three cents worth!

thanks! Well, my Step-dad doesn't want to take it to work, for a reason that's really long, and my mom's a student at a university (My biological Dad pasted away in 2000). I don't promote the "help me win an iPod" part, but that I'm helping to raise money for our new gym and band/music room. The band (which I'm part of) has to do it's own fundraisers.

People can buy subscriptions online, and enter the seller's name, but I'm not sure if our school is checking the online stuff. I guess I should ask tomorrow...

So does anyone have ideas of who I should sell to?, like the library, but that didn't work out.
Old 10-11-07, 04:27 PM
Stratiotika ktemata

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
College apartment complexes. College kids love cheap magazines and if you look like a crack head they will probably pity you and buy extra.
Old 10-11-07, 04:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nikephoros
College apartment complexes. College kids love cheap magazines and if you look like a crack head they will probably pity you and buy extra.
nearest university (I'm Canadian) is a 40 minute drive, so that wont happen. Even though my mom goes there, it wont work.
Old 10-11-07, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Sell the magazines. Push how great a deal it is on wonderful magazines. Learn the product! Be a salesman/woman. Be enthusiastic about the product.
If these are like other magazine sales deals there are two routes. Give friends the catalog and time or sell strangers. It is definatly a mixed bag. Some are great deals, others not. Some are new subs only others allow renewals.

Now thnk about it. If I really want a magazine I probably have already subscribed. Memorize which ones allow renewals. Ask if they already subscribe, ask what their interests are and be able to turn to that page in the catalog. Oh and learn the best deals and point those out.
Old 10-11-07, 05:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith99
If these are like other magazine sales deals there are two routes. Give friends the catalog and time or sell strangers. It is definatly a mixed bag. Some are great deals, others not. Some are new subs only others allow renewals.

Now thnk about it. If I really want a magazine I probably have already subscribed. Memorize which ones allow renewals. Ask if they already subscribe, ask what their interests are and be able to turn to that page in the catalog. Oh and learn the best deals and point those out.
Its hard to learn all the best deals, since there are 48 pages, and the index is 2 full pages in a fine print-ish sized font, something like 8 point. also, all of them can be renewed. I have 15 catalogs, so I can leave them with people for a couple days. I've gone around my area of town, and the town has a population of about 2000. Still got any ideas? do you think places like doctors clinics would buy any since they do put out magazines for the clients while theyre waiting?

thanks!
Old 10-11-07, 06:32 PM

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Super Sport, 2003 Trek 7500FX and 5500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The following logic worked for my boys selling stuff.

Hi, I'm "whateveryourrealnameis" and I'm helping to raise money for our new gym and band/music room. Would you please make a donation? And by the way, for a donation for "whateverdollars" you get a magazine subsciption! If you don't want the magazine for yourself, they do make good "whateverpresents/gifts", or you could choose one and have it delivered to our school library for the students to use. Wow, that would be a double Thank You!

People don't like to be sold. They like to buy. And they really like to help others and get some stuff with it, and maybe share that with others.

By the way, I know you want the Ipod, but ultimately the money is for your school. If they don't give you enough for a subscription, take their money and turn it in to your advisor. At least you don't have to split that meager profit with the magazine guys. If they give you a check, have it made out to your school, NOT to you.

Good luck.
Old 10-11-07, 06:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by doghouse
The following logic worked for my boys selling stuff.

Hi, I'm "whateveryourrealnameis" and I'm helping to raise money for our new gym and band/music room. Would you please make a donation? And by the way, for a donation for "whateverdollars" you get a magazine subsciption! If you don't want the magazine for yourself, they do make good "whateverpresents/gifts", or you could choose one and have it delivered to our school library for the students to use. Wow, that would be a double Thank You!

People don't like to be sold. They like to buy. And they really like to help others and get some stuff with it, and maybe share that with others.

By the way, I know you want the Ipod, but ultimately the money is for your school. If they don't give you enough for a subscription, take their money and turn it in to your advisor. At least you don't have to split that meager profit with the magazine guys. If they give you a check, have it made out to your school, NOT to you.

Good luck.
Well, some people do donate, but there are lots of subscriptions from $16 (lowest I've seen) to $200. most people pay by check, and it's made out to my school. I'm pretty sure people would be suspicious (I would be) if someone told them to make it out to themselves. I have had success with my "speech" so far. I know the money is for my is ultimately for my school, and I'm getting tired of playing in our "multi-useless" room. It's our second gym, but the 3-point lines overlap , and we have to use it for band practices because the band room has been condemed from practices.

I have the whole selling thing down, its just a question of who to sell to.
Old 10-12-07, 02:32 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by norco_rider77
I have the whole selling thing down, its just a question of who to sell to.
No you don't. If you had the whole selling thing down, you'd know exactly what to sell, how, and to whom.
Old 10-12-07, 04:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
No you don't. If you had the whole selling thing down, you'd know exactly what to sell, how, and to whom.
Ok, I have the whole how to sell thing down, and what I'm selling, just not the who
Old 10-12-07, 01:51 PM

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Super Sport, 2003 Trek 7500FX and 5500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"I have the whole selling thing down, its just a question of who to sell to."

"I've gone around my area of town, and the town has a population of about 2000. Still got any ideas?"

How about everybody outside your area of town that you can reach? That seems to be pretty much your total market area left.
Old 10-12-07, 02:40 PM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by norco_rider77
do you think places like doctors clinics would buy any since they do put out magazines for the clients while theyre waiting?

thanks!
If you have to ask the question, the answer is YES.

All doctors, dentists, car dealerships, oil changers, garages, barber shops, anywhere that people wait!

The true salesman doesn't ask the question "I wonder if that person is a potential customer?"

The true salesman asks, "What pitch do I use to make that person a customer?"

Figure out what their need is and let them know how your product satisfies their need!

I am not cut out to be a salesman, but I was an unsuccessful military recruiter, so I have been trained in the theory.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 10-12-07, 03:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by doghouse
How about everybody outside your area of town that you can reach? That seems to be pretty much your total market area left.
If you have to ask the question, the answer is YES.

All doctors, dentists, car dealerships, oil changers, garages, barber shops, anywhere that people wait!

The true salesman doesn't ask the question "I wonder if that person is a potential customer?"

The true salesman asks, "What pitch do I use to make that person a customer?"

Figure out what their need is and let them know how your product satisfies their need!

I am not cut out to be a salesman, but I was an unsuccessful military recruiter, so I have been trained in the theory.
Well, I guess I know where I'll be this weekend... Car dealerships, that's one I didn't think of, and I have subscriptions like Car and Driver! Hey, if they don't want to get one for the customers, they might want one for themselves!
Old 10-13-07, 06:18 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
One point: show the customer how to cancel the subscription.