Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Got me a pretty new seatpost today.

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 10-12-07, 04:12 PM
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts

My new seatpost arrived for my MotoLite II today. I decided that it might be nice to not have to stop and drop the seatpost every time I came to a downhill. I have never had this problem in the past with my cross country bikes, however the higher bottom bracket on this bike really puts me up in the air when the seatpost is in it's normal location.

It does weigh a little more than my Extralite post though. I am hoping I'll be able to ebay the Extralite and recover some of the money I paid for this one though.

Tomorrow will be my first ride with it, looking forward to it.

Oh yeah, weight is 511 grams.

Old 10-12-07, 04:16 PM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCel
I decided that it might be nice to not have to stop and drop the seatpost every time I came to a downhill. I have never had this problem in the past with my cross country bikes, however the higher bottom bracket on this bike really puts me up in the air when the seatpost is in it's normal location.
Can't you just get behind the saddle on those downhills? Please let us know how it works for you.

... Brad
Old 10-12-07, 04:17 PM

Bikes: Scott CR1-Gary Fisher Sugar-Litespeed Ultimate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet...let us know how it works.
How much does it drop?
How much effort & travel needed on thumb lever to raise again?
Old 10-12-07, 04:19 PM
Custom User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'll love it...it's the best thing I have put on my trail bike. And I was extremely impressed about how you can fine-tune the setup/perform regular maintenance.
Old 10-12-07, 04:20 PM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pete Fagerlin
It's faster and much more fun with your saddle lowered.
That's what she said. (sorry, I couldn't resist)

I've never lowered my saddle on the trail. Perhaps I'll give it a shot the next time out.

... Brad
Old 10-12-07, 04:20 PM
Custom User

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pete Fagerlin
It's faster and much more fun with your saddle lowered.

+1 on that...plus, I wouldn't want to do some of the descents around here with the saddle at climbing height!
Old 10-12-07, 04:41 PM
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't find the Moto-Lite too tall to run the post at normal height. All my bikes have a similar pedal-to-seat height, and I've just gotten used to getting behind the saddle. I have to admit that flipping the TALAS to 140 makes steep descents a bit easier.
Old 10-12-07, 04:55 PM
Custom User

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pinkrobe
I didn't find the Moto-Lite too tall to run the post at normal height. All my bikes have a similar pedal-to-seat height, and I've just gotten used to getting behind the saddle. I have to admit that flipping the TALAS to 140 makes steep descents a bit easier.
By dropping the saddle you can pump the bike a lot more, lean it and throw it around in the turns, and just ride faster overall. With the Gravity Dropper, I find that I ride with the saddle in the lowered position a lot more because I can flow with the trail.
Old 10-12-07, 05:31 PM
Throw the stick!!!!

Originally Posted by pinkrobe
How far up do you have your saddle? From the center of the crank to the top of my saddle is a hair over 30". With all of my other bikes this wasn't a problem, however with this one I just don't feel confident, actually I almost feel trapped. It just wasn't working out for me so I had to do something.
Old 10-12-07, 05:32 PM
Throw the stick!!!!

Originally Posted by bac
I've never lowered my saddle on the trail. Perhaps I'll give it a shot the next time out.
Neither had I until I got this bike but wow, what a difference it makes. However, it wears my legs out in just a couple of minutes. Not sure how those downhill guys do it.
Old 10-12-07, 05:33 PM
Throw the stick!!!!

Originally Posted by BLIZZ
Sweet...let us know how it works.
How much does it drop?
How much effort & travel needed on thumb lever to raise again?
This is the "turbo" model so it drops 4". I'm installing it now so I'll let you know how much effort it takes in a few minutes.
Old 10-12-07, 05:34 PM
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Wow, now you really are turning into a hard-core freerider, LowCel What's next, baggy shorts, a tat and a buzz cut?

Nice piece there. One of the more useful bits o' bling around.

How far up do you have your saddle? From the center of the crank to the top of my saddle is a hair over 30". With all of my other bikes this wasn't a problem, however with this one I just don't feel confident, actually I almost feel trapped. It just wasn't working out for me so I had to do something.
Trapped is a good way to describe it, perched to far up there. You will enjoy it - -and it sure beats getting impaled in the bread-basket by a too-high seat from getting behind it.
Old 10-12-07, 05:49 PM
Old School Rad

Bikes: Blur LT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seatpost are for sissys. Real me don't use 'em. Lowcel is the new Wade Simmons.
Old 10-12-07, 05:52 PM
Throw the stick!!!!

Okay, it takes very little effort to push the little release lever on the bars, I'm pleasantly suprised. However I did notice one thing real quick. I don't want to hit this thing by mistake when it is down, it has some power! I would hate to see what this thing could do to the boys.
Old 10-12-07, 08:52 PM
Zan

Bikes: Road: Trek 1.5 (2007). Mountain: Santa Cruz Chameleon (2008). Beater: Peugeot Recorde du Monde (1850)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I drop my saddle every time I go on the trails... I didn't realize so many people didn't do it! I find it a lot easier to ride over rough terrain with a lower seat as you can just jockey the bike over the bumps. Your shoulders and head remain level and all while your bike goes all over the place.

You might argue that you can jockey it with the seat at the normal riding position (and just be higher), but sometimes you can't. I don't know, maybe it's just me riding the trails with heavy vegetation, but there are parts where if you stood up you'd get clotheslined by a tree branch. It's nice to stay low!
Old 10-12-07, 10:04 PM
Mad Furyan

Bikes: 02 Cannondale Jekyll,06 Santa Cruz Heckler, 06 Specialized Roubaix Pro, 09 Santa Cruz Blur LT2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh yeah, weight is 511 grams.
What, almost a third of the weight of your Fuji frame? Are you Sick?!
Old 10-14-07, 05:14 AM
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

Bikes: hardtail, squishy, fixed roadie, fixed crosser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, it takes very little effort to push the little release lever on the bars, I'm pleasantly suprised. However I did notice one thing real quick. I don't want to hit this thing by mistake when it is down, it has some power! I would hate to see what this thing could do to the boys.
You can decrease the preload on the internal spring from the bottom of the post. 6mm allen head, I believe.

I use mine all the time. Great part that will be going on any new mtb of mine from now on.

Get used to being asked why you're running a suspension post an a suspension bike.
Old 10-14-07, 05:33 AM
Throw the stick!!!!

I was very impressed with it on my ride yesterday, I feel that it is a must for this type of bike. It made a huge difference in the bike. It actually took me from not really being decided if I liked the bike or not to thinking that the bike is awesome! My ride yesterday was amazing.
Old 10-14-07, 09:11 AM
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by never
By dropping the saddle you can pump the bike a lot more, lean it and throw it around in the turns, and just ride faster overall. With the Gravity Dropper, I find that I ride with the saddle in the lowered position a lot more because I can flow with the trail.
I'll admit that I'm not much of a DH guy, but for the trails that I do ride, I can pump/manual just fine. The few times I have dropped my seat haven't made that much of a difference. I guess I've adapted to having my seat high enough to pedal reasonably well, but low enough that I can get off the front/back/sides with ease.
Old 10-14-07, 09:26 AM
DNPAIMFB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My saddle height is similar on all my bikes. <runs out to measure> On the Brodie and Titus, it's 30.25", on my Cervelo, it's 30.5". I could raise it a bit more, but then it starts to get tricky to get off the back - I definitely know that "trapped" feeling you're talking about. Back in the day, I ran my saddle around 32" from BB center for both mtn and road. I was more flexible back then, and it worked okay, but as the local trails deteriorated over the years, I needed more flexibility in where I could position my body on the bike. It took a while, but I lowered the seat a bit at a time until I arrived at the current height a few years ago. If I go lower, my knees hurt and I lose what little power I have on the climbs.