Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Geoffrey Butler frame

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Geoffrey Butler frame

Old 10-13-07, 05:43 AM

Bikes: Raleigh M-Trax - 80/90s? Goldtec flipflop rear hub + Mavic rims modified for some extreme road commuting;Raleigh 531 1970s? - Ultegra set up - wrecked by a motorist! Looking for new frame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Geoffrey Butler frame

I got knocked off my bike in Brixton a few weeks back and my bike was wrecked - although I'm fine!

Hopefully, the drivers insurance will be paying out, so I'm looking for a new frameset to transfer my Ultegra groupset to that. Looking to spend about £500 (max £600) on frame and forks maybe 2nd hand.

I ride in london and can secure my bike in a garage at work so on street secruity is not an issue, but durability is due to the terrible condition of South London roads. I don't club ride (yet) but do clock up 50-100 miles p.week. I'm not too worried about weight - my last frame was a mint cond, 1970s(?) Reynolds 531. I enjoyed the steel frame and I always thought the weight was good training for when I did upgrade plus with an Ultegra set up riding was a joy.

I've got a fixed/single speed too so I want to move my geared bike to a more modern frame but really enjoyed the individuality of my last bike and the pride of building it myself.

Wondered if anyone has any suggestions and what you thought of the ideas/links below:

I got my insurance quote from Geoffrey Butler and they suggested one of their own frames, which is heavily reduced. I know GB have a pedigree for track and in the past steel frames, but not sure about their new own brand stuff. What do you make of this reduced frame (the Carbon 7 one):
https://www.gbcycles.co.uk/eshop.asp?...e&wce=GBFRAMES

Alternatively was thinking of a Trek 5200 OCLV - popular choice and lots 2nd hand, but not sure if I'd rather have something more unique?

I've also looked at Bianchi, but are the less expensive frames (i.e. in my budget) any good or would I be better off with some thing else rather than paying for the brand?
But that said, I've seen a Freccia Celeste Frameset from 2005 heavily reduced to within budget.

Any help would be very appreciated

Thanks
Old 10-13-07, 05:54 AM
Good day to ride

Bikes: Look KG451, half Record, half Chorus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hear of your accident.

Never ridden a GB bike myself, though they do have a good reputation from riders I've spoken to in London. My advice if you're looking to go steel, is to get a Mercian - one of the best steel frames made in England and it won't break the bank (£500 - £700)

Otherwise if you do want something lighter, Canyon makes very nice carbon and aluminium frames
Old 10-13-07, 07:05 AM
1coolrider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Alters,

Sorry to hear about your accident. Since you are ok, this is really an opportunity to get a new bike. Take advantage of it. I'm not familiar with that brand, but I was wondering if Don Farrell or his decendants still have a shop in London? Years ago (wow, now that I think about it, decades ago, 1972) he built me up a reallly nice bike w/ his frame (I think a Wally Green lugged frame) for a very reasonable price.

Cheers
Old 10-13-07, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
You live in London...There are lots of old Reynolds frames in London waiting for a new home. My suggestion would be to compile a list of your local waste refuge/recycle center/dumps. They get bikes and often a Reynolds 531 will show up. Check your local thrifts. How about a Bob Jackson? It might stretch the budget a little bit but save your pennies and you can have one sweet ride.
Old 10-13-07, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
I take that back...It looks like the frames are in your Budget...

https://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/default.php?cPath=48

Good luck...Look at the Hetchins style curly stays...you want unique you got it!
Old 10-15-07, 03:37 PM

Bikes: Raleigh M-Trax - 80/90s? Goldtec flipflop rear hub + Mavic rims modified for some extreme road commuting;Raleigh 531 1970s? - Ultegra set up - wrecked by a motorist! Looking for new frame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the responses - I'm being worked flat our at the moment so only just had a chance to log in. I'll check those links and let you know how I get on. :-)
Old 11-06-07, 08:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, I'm really taken by a Bob Jackson custom build (9 months waiting list - eek!) I've given prices on an 853 tubeset below just for comparison but not sure if can stretch the budget or if worth it?)

Custom Super Legend (in 853 £695 + £140 = £835 (inc VAT)) but prefer the colour scheme on the custom legend (but I guess that's just a piant job that can be done to either model (can anyone tell the difference in spec on these two?)

Also, there's the option of a Mercian Vincitore (in 853 steel £760 +VAT = £893)

Any comments on comparison between the Mercian and Bob Jackson frames above and whether its worth going for 853 tubing?

According to the old Bob Jackson website the custom super legend frame must have its curley rear stays in 531 steel combined with anything for main. I guess there's little point going all the way to 853 if you have a 531 rear (as great as 531 is) in which case the Bob Jackson will be cheaper than quoted above. Standard is 631 & 531 = £695 inc VAT. Thoughts?

Thanks
Old 11-06-07, 10:34 AM
big ring

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
BF moderator onetwentyeight has a Geof Butluer.
Old 11-06-07, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
When it comes to winter training style frames for commuting, I think Kinesis are hard to beat. Kenisis is not just a rebadger, they make farmes for lots of major brands.
Old 11-07-07, 04:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There not connected as far as I'm aware. Geoffrey Butler is road bike shop in south croydon.
Old 11-07-07, 04:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MIN - thanks for the tip but onetwentyeight's is an old skool fixed gear, my fixed gear is fine, just looking for a geared bike too. I've gone off the GB now and just want to compare Bob Jackson and Mercian, I'll start a new thread for that.

MichaelW -thanks for the tip, I checked out their site but I'm looking for some thing with more of a classic feel, like I say, its Mercian or bob Jackson for me now

Thanks for help to those above