Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Personal milestone today

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Personal milestone today

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-07, 03:15 PM
Hills!

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Personal milestone today

I turned 1000 miles on the new bike today at the end of a 53 miler. I purchased it on 8/29/07 and began riding it on 8/30, about 6.5 weeks ago. Other than a brief jaunt around the cul-de-sac a couple of weeks ago, the ol' Marin Novato has been rather neglected. I probably rode it about 300 miles or so in August before buying the roadie.

My body is thanking me for the effort (continually sore leg muscles). And I'm loving it! I thoroughly enjoy the biking community here too.

Most of my riding is solo and may be anywhere from 15 to 64 (personal best thus far) miles a day. I try to get out 5 days a week and generally aim for 40-50 miles a day. Weather and work schedules have been very cooperative thus far. I know the light work schedule will only last so long... so am taking advantage of most every opportunity to get out and ride.

My immediate challenge is to figure out how to ride in the fall/winter without looking like the Michelin man and spending a fortune on clothes. But as long as the weather stays like this (mid-70s), I can ride with biking shorts and a ss shirt.

Anything below the low 50's is too cold for me. So I need to start thinking about the winter clothes issues pretty soon. I've found some interesting threads about that on the bike forum... so am pondering my options.

Odometer:

Bike:
Old 10-15-07, 03:58 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
The good news that here in Piedmont NC we can ride year 'round. You just layer up and take off when it's pretty cool. I actually enjoy riding when it's cool enough to make your eyes water-feels very refreshing. I've found that a good wind vest works very well to keep your chest and stomach from getting beet red. You can spend as much or as little as you'd like but I spend what I need to be comfortable. For temps below 50 degrees I like wearing a skull cap, long fingered gloves, either toe warmers or booties, tights or leg warmers, a technical undershirt, a long sleeved jersey and sometimes a wind vest. You generally know you are not overdressed if when you start riding you're a little cool. You'll warm up the first nice hill you climb anyway. Keep up the great riding!!
Old 10-15-07, 05:14 PM

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cold weather riding requires layers. Nothing bulky. Also, IPPE was correct by advising that you should feel a little cool when you start. If you are warm when you start you are over dressed.
Old 10-15-07, 05:23 PM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
You trying to wear the poor thing out?

Good effort.

Richard
Old 10-15-07, 06:01 PM
Hills!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
The good news that here in Piedmont NC we can ride year 'round. You just layer up and take off when it's pretty cool. I actually enjoy riding when it's cool enough to make your eyes water-feels very refreshing. I've found that a good wind vest works very well to keep your chest and stomach from getting beet red. You can spend as much or as little as you'd like but I spend what I need to be comfortable. For temps below 50 degrees I like wearing a skull cap, long fingered gloves, either toe warmers or booties, tights or leg warmers, a technical undershirt, a long sleeved jersey and sometimes a wind vest. You generally know you are not overdressed if when you start riding you're a little cool. You'll warm up the first nice hill you climb anyway. Keep up the great riding!!
I don't care to ride in the wet, so I just plan to deal with the cold. Thus far, I can ride in my shorts and short sleeve shirts in the early morning when temps are in the low 50's and warming. It is chilly the first 3 miles or so, but then I warm up and am good to go.

I already bought some full fingered riding gloves, but will need to shop for the balance.

Will sweat pants worn over biking shorts work or would that be too warm? I expect I'll need to find some sort of windbreaker like the vest you mentioned as well as the other stuff. I saw someone mention bib knickers recently. I might look into that too.
Old 10-15-07, 06:09 PM
Hills!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeArkansas
Cold weather riding requires layers. Nothing bulky. ...
Good. If it's too much trouble to dress, I won't go out.

Here's a thread I found in the Winter Cycling forum:
https://tinyurl.com/2q7k9h
Old 10-15-07, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Leg and arm warmers are pretty resonable and good to about 40f with a layer under your shirt. Add a windbreaker and your set until the snow flys.
Old 10-16-07, 05:52 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by speedlever
I turned 1000 miles on the new bike today at the end of a 53 miler. I purchased it on 8/29/07 and began riding it on 8/30, about 6.5 weeks ago. Other than a brief jaunt around the cul-de-sac a couple of weeks ago, the ol' Marin Novato has been rather neglected. I probably rode it about 300 miles or so in August before buying the roadie.

That's a lot of miles in a short period. Just think how many you would have if you had bought it earlier in the season

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 10-16-07, 06:33 AM
Hills!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by oilman_15106
Leg and arm warmers are pretty resonable and good to about 40f with a layer under your shirt. Add a windbreaker and your set until the snow flys.
Hmm. That may be a reasonable way to ride in 40*-50* weather. I'll check into that.
Old 10-16-07, 09:38 AM
Hanging On

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by speedlever
I turned 1000 miles on the new bike today at the end of a 53 miler. I purchased it on 8/29/07 and began riding it on 8/30, about 6.5 weeks ago.
My immediate challenge is to figure out how to ride in the fall/winter without looking like the Michelin man and spending a fortune on clothes. But as long as the weather stays like this (mid-70s), I can ride with biking shorts and a ss shirt.
Congratulations on your mileage! That's a lot of riding. As for the clothing, you won't look like the Michelin man as long as you are using cycling-specific gear. Arm and leg warmers, tights, long-sleeved jerseys, even light jackets can be used. You can cycle below 50 degrees easily and comfortably by layering. Wicking T-shirts are a good choice. Oh, yeah, gloves also. I have to go through my old gear. I've got a bunch of stuff from when I last cycled 12 years ago. It may be a little out of date but I'll use it this winter if it doesn't have holes in it...

-soma5