Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for cheap full-fingered gloves?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-07, 08:48 PM

Bikes: Frankenstein 1980 (?) Takara 1x7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My knuckles... they get cold. I need gloves. I'm kinda poor. Help me.
Old 10-15-07, 09:06 PM
Mooninite

Bikes: $53 Walmart Special

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Mechanics glove from your auto/hardware store.
Old 10-15-07, 09:58 PM
lunatic fringe

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, mechanics gloves like these. They are about 12 bucks in the auto parts store. I have used them for a year and they are still in good shape. minimal padding in the palms and an extra layer of light padding over the knuckles. They're not waterproof.
Old 10-15-07, 10:35 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Funds lacking and cold hands? Been there, done that. Many times.

Mechanics gloves are nice. But warmer, cheaper, and more sturdy leather gloves are available at your nearest hardware store. I use leather work gloves all the time for all sorts of things. 5-7 bucks for medium duty leather gloves. Warm enough, and great for riding. Just make sure you look at the sizes and get the best one.
Old 10-15-07, 10:49 PM
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
yep. leather work gloves. put some (any) liners underneath for even greater warmth.
Old 10-16-07, 04:12 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Old 10-17-07, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Buy a pack of cloth gardening gloves. By a pair of cheap extra large mittens. Use, and lose, the gardening gloves as needed. If it gets really cold use the gloves with the mittens.
Old 10-17-07, 11:21 AM
You need a new bike

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by destro713
My knuckles... they get cold. I need gloves. I'm kinda poor. Help me.
Your local X-mart discount store? Wally world should have inexpensive gloves for hunters in the sporting goods department. Look for some that have good wind resistance.

Or, perhaps a local thrift store?
Old 10-18-07, 02:17 PM

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
I just bought a pair of gloves at a hardware store for 5 and a half dollars, and they are excellent.
They are grey nylon stretch material and the palm side is coated with polyurethane.
They are labled as "weed pulling gloves".
Old 10-18-07, 04:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like any glove will work... so is there anything special in a cycling glove compared to a mechanics glove or work glove?
Old 10-19-07, 07:15 AM
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I put on the cheap, brown-jersey work gloves over my regular bike gloves. About $3 a pair. I still have padding where I need it, and if my hands overheat I can take off the extra layer.
Old 10-19-07, 07:16 AM
You need a new bike

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
You are comparing an MTB glove, designed to protect the hands from impacts with objects along the trail wih a gardening glove.

The OP is concerned about protection from cold. I often ride in winter with fleece hiking gloves. while they don't have the gel padding in the palms, they work fine. The main criteria is that the gloves provide some wind resistance and some insulation.

The OP also indicated that he didn't have much money. So, a pair of bike-specific MTB gloves are probably not within his budget. So, some compromises might need to be made so he can have warm fingers.

BTW, those gardening gloves might work pretty well in moderate temperatures. the dots are similar to some that I have seen on cycling gloves and should provide good grip on the bars. They certainly look breathable. Not too good for rain, but then, neither are the MTB gloves shown.
Old 10-19-07, 08:33 AM

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
Performance Bike used to sell (maybe they still do but I haven't looked) some light fleece biking gloves with a faux-leather palm area. I think I got a pair for $5-$7. Off the bike, they looked like any other fleece glove. I think I finally lost mine on a ski trip to Italy.

What made them nice from a biker's standpoint is that the palm area protection was in the spots where you need it to protect from wear from gripping the handlebars. I've had some non-biking gloves that looked almost the same except they would catch and wear on the edge of the palm protection, and the seams against the hand, especially in the thumb-to-palm V, would be uncomfortable and I could see them causing blisters over the long term.

My point being, if you plan on using the gloves on the bike for extended periods make sure that there are not some drawbacks due to the glove being designed for something else. I'm sure that many of the suggestions made above will work fine, but just thought I would ad my experience so you don't purchase something that won't work well for your intended use.
Old 10-19-07, 08:42 AM
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've discovered layering for hands.

I have:

regular cycling gloves, smartwool glove liners, any regular long fingered glove, and Thinsulate pop top mittens. With the right combo, I can ride in any temps. Below zero I'd go with the liners under the pop tops.

btw, none of these were expensive.