Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trek1200 stolen on ABUS Granit X-Plus 54 today!!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-07, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

so the story goes like this...cuz i m movin into uni's hall and my hall doesnt have bicycle parkin so I would have to lock it on the street...so I thought I would get a good lock before I put it on the street...so I got my lock(and kryptonite cable to lock up the front wheel) JUST YESTERDAY from cyclexpress.co.uk...then today after I went to sainsbury(supermarket in uk) and got back to the hall and lock it to one of the lamp posts just outside my hall at 1600pm. Then at 1830 I had to leave for dinner...so i was expecting to see my bike just outside the door...but then i was overwhelmed...it was not there...i was like WTF!?? how could this happen...even with such expensive lock...and in such a short period of time!!! just 2 hrs !!! and even I just started lockin it up there a day ago!!! that thief must live around...

what do you guys reckon??
and anyone knows if it's the police who has taken it away? cuz it was a lamp post...but it's a late afternoon on Saturday!!...not possible i know...

bits of info of my bike:
TREK 1200 2007 model but with 2006 frame...with blue fizik arizone seat

and my location:
south kensington, london, uk

if anyone sees this on sale elsewhere please let me know...thanks!!!...any advice given would be greatlyyyyyy appreciated!!!!
Old 10-21-07, 01:07 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Did they cut the lock or just lift it above the lamp post? How did you lock it?
Old 10-21-07, 06:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think they hv picked the lock rather than cuttin it or liftin it above the lamp post....cuz there's no sign of metal powder left over on the ground and the lamp post is about 1.5-story high

i dunno if i made a mistake tho cuz i didnt lock it to the lamp post by the u-lock but rather wrap around the lamp post by the kryptonite cable thru the 2 wheels n lock the 2 ends..but i m sure it's secure i.e. the thief couldnt just remove it by twistin around..

thanks for askin!!
Old 10-21-07, 06:44 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Technically you were only locked to the lamp post by the cable. Oops. Your home owners insurance may cover the loss of your bike.
Old 10-21-07, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FWIW the method used to break U locks usually involves twisting it with a "Gorilla bar".
Old 10-21-07, 09:34 PM
``````````````

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by geo8rge
FWIW the method used to break U locks usually involves twisting it with a "Gorilla bar".
Methods to cut cables, however, are far more conventional.

The thief didn't pick the lock, he cut the cable. Never rely on a cable to secure your whole bike. Cables can be cut in seconds and a bike can be tossed into a truck in a few more. Cutting U-locks takes much larger equipment and causes much more commotion.

Sorry to hear. Definitely follow up with police and see if insurance, or your parents' homeowners insurance, will cover the loss.
Old 10-22-07, 06:24 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, he could have cut the cable, put the bike in the back of a truck or a van and driven off, so he can grind through it at home at his leisure. A bike isn't secure if it's only secured to a fixture by a chain or cable - it has to be a U-lock at least.

OT: Excellent set of drums! Is that a Stage Custom Nouveau? I love the finish. Vic Firth sticks too. I'd be happy if I go to university with a drumset and a bike.
Old 10-22-07, 07:02 AM
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zevot
i think they hv picked the lock rather than cuttin it or liftin it above the lamp post....cuz there's no sign of metal powder left over on the ground and the lamp post is about 1.5-story high

i dunno if i made a mistake tho cuz i didnt lock it to the lamp post by the u-lock but rather wrap around the lamp post by the kryptonite cable thru the 2 wheels n lock the 2 ends..but i m sure it's secure i.e. the thief couldnt just remove it by twistin around..

thanks for askin!!
Yes, you made a big mistake. A lock is only as secure as it's weakest link, and using a cable to lock your bike is very weak security. Always use a high quality U-lock or chain as your MAIN locking device and a cable as a secondary device.