Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

FSA stem warning (OS-115)(RD-120)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-07, 09:33 AM
The mods changed this...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you ride these stems on a carbon steerer, pull it off and check your steerer tube. We've had 3 broken forks (at the steerer) due to these stems in the past 4 weeks. All on different bikes, but all with carbon steerers.
It seems that there isn't enough contact area between the stem and the steerer. The pressure of the stem when clamped to the steerer creates a pressure ridge and can crack the steerer tube. One we noticed when the stem itself broke and were changing it out. The other two sheared the steerer off completely.
All three stems were installed as instructed and torqued to FSA spec...
Old 10-21-07, 10:00 AM
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Yeesh. Good to know. I have a Deda Newton on there right now, but I do have a spare FSA that I'll now be more reluctant to use...
Old 10-21-07, 10:10 AM
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Cervelo S2, 2001Trek USPS 5200, 06 Cervelo P3 Alum, 1999 Schwinn Pro Stock BMX, 1987 Schwinn Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats kinda scary. Imaging one breaking off on a 50mph decent. Bad news, and possibly career ending injuries. I am now reluctant to buy a carbon steerer fork too, even if it will only be used with my Syntace stem.
Old 10-21-07, 10:40 AM
The mods changed this...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OCLV Assassin
Thats kinda scary. Imaging one breaking off on a 50mph decent. Bad news, and possibly career ending injuries. I am now reluctant to buy a carbon steerer fork too, even if it will only be used with my Syntace stem.
One of the guys is one of our Cat3 sprinters. He was warming up in Greenville for the race. He said his bars felt loose, so he stopped. He pulled on them hard and the freaking steerer just broke OFF! I can't imigine pulling them off in a 40mph sprint. That has bad news written all over it...

If you have one, look at where the inside of the stem contacts the steerer. You'll notice that there isn't a large contact area...! When clamped, they seem to pinch versus distributing the pressure.

I hate to say it, but the only FSA products I've ever had luck with are headsets...
Old 10-21-07, 10:58 AM

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why would the contact area be any less with an FSA?
Old 10-21-07, 11:06 AM
The mods changed this...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dubbayoo
Why would the contact area be any less with an FSA?
The material inside of the stem, where the steerer passes through, is minimal. It has been designed that way for some strange reason. The only contact points are the very top and very bottom. There is NO material in the middle of the stem making contact with the steerer tube. Specialized stems have a sleeve so the steerer has constant, even pressure when the stem is tightened. Thomson also has a large contact area.

If you have one, it may be worth the 5 minutes it'll take to make the check...
Old 10-21-07, 11:10 AM
Lurker for Life

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe it's the beer talking, but have you brought this up with FSA?
Old 10-21-07, 11:18 AM
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Cervelo S2, 2001Trek USPS 5200, 06 Cervelo P3 Alum, 1999 Schwinn Pro Stock BMX, 1987 Schwinn Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by damocles1
The material inside of the stem, where the steerer passes through, is minimal. It has been designed that way for some strange reason. The only contact points are the very top and very bottom. There is NO material in the middle of the stem making contact with the steerer tube. Specialized stems have a sleeve so the steerer has constant, even pressure when the stem is tightened. Thomson also has a large contact area.

Yeah my Syntace is sleeved too.
Old 10-21-07, 11:24 AM
The mods changed this...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Obviously, yet they say nothing is wrong...

Here's a pic...

See the rear of the stem (inside)...you can see daylight. The upper clamp and the lower clamp are not connected in any way. All of the tightening force has to go through those two small (@8mm) surfaces. There is no real dissipation of the torque, other than the two highlighted areas.

See the Thomson X4...
The small amount of alu between the clamps is contact area and help to distribute the pressure on the steerer.

Old 10-21-07, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
See the rear of the stem (inside)...you can see daylight. The upper clamp and the lower clamp are not connected in any way.
I'm sure it's light though. But their weight calculation probably doesn't take into account the sling you'll need for your shoulder after you launch headfirst over the bike.
Old 10-21-07, 11:53 AM
The mods changed this...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by serpico7
I'm sure it's light though. But their weight calculation probably doesn't take into account the sling you'll need for your shoulder after you launch headfirst over the bike.
Yeah, the plates and screws in your collarbone make up the difference in weight...
Old 10-21-07, 01:35 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, the plates and screws in your collarbone make up the difference in weight...
They hardly ever operate for collarbone injuries. Mine was broken in 2 spots even, no surgery.
Old 10-21-07, 01:43 PM

Bikes: Pedal Force RS2, Canyon, Basso, Tommaso, Rock Racing, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the FYI.

My Easton EM90 only has one clamp bolt area, but the sleeve covers the whole area over the steerer tube.
My buddy said he would never trust one bolt securing stem to steerer. I have 1200 miles on it with no problems.
Old 10-21-07, 02:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThinLine
Thanks for the FYI.

My Easton EM90 only has one clamp bolt area, but the sleeve covers the whole area over the steerer tube.
My buddy said he would never trust one bolt securing stem to steerer. I have 1200 miles on it with no problems.
+1

Thanks for the heads up. It seems that FSA has a lot of issues.
Old 10-21-07, 05:36 PM
The mods changed this...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OCLV Assassin
They hardly ever operate for collarbone injuries. Mine was broken in 2 spots even, no surgery.
I have a little extension ladder looking piece of metal on top of mine...
Old 10-21-07, 06:39 PM

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I had a K-Force that was solid like most other stems. I sold it anyway.
Old 10-21-07, 06:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Friends FSA stem cracked his carbon steerer tube ... that stems faceplate now serves another function as a modified "dogs tooth" on his MTB race rig. That being said ... it sure is lite!

spatz
Old 10-21-07, 06:54 PM
James

Bikes: 2005 S-Works Roubaix Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The more and more I hear about and deal with FSA, the less and less I want to buy their product.
Old 10-21-07, 07:02 PM
A Little Bent

Location: Struggling up a hillside in Vermont, USA... ..........................................
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have FSA 115 stems on all three of my bikes and a total of 5 hanging around the house...

Two of my three bikes have carbon steerer tubes...

I guess it is time to find some new stems...
Old 10-21-07, 07:08 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yoo
fsa is crap. look at their cranks falling off. now this. fsa= ******** sh*ty a**hole.
Does that really happen? If so that sucks, I really wanted their new K Force crank....
Old 10-21-07, 07:26 PM

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i have a os-115 stem and i've had no problems with it on a carbon steerer. I'm not using it now, so i guess it might not get used anymore.
Old 10-21-07, 08:42 PM
j.w

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First thing I noticed when I installed mine but didn't think it would make a difference. I think all of their stems are like that not just the OS-115. Mine's an OS-150 and it's the same. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by j.w; 10-21-07 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-21-07, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Couple of things jump out. Assume the stems were all installed to the correct torque?

Isn't this something that should be reported to some government comsumer protection agency? American Classic had an entire hub recall over one faliure.
Old 10-21-07, 09:30 PM
CERVEL-LIZED!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride the OS 110 but it has a full clamp on it meaning it doesn't have a hole on the clamp area so that there is a complete tightening area over the clamping surface. It is not the same design as the one pictured however it is not as light.
Old 10-21-07, 10:47 PM
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm using an OS-115 on two of my bikes and an OS-150 on the third. I just ordered a Syntace F119 to swap out the one sitting on a CF steerer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.