Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

The One Ride That 'Sticks Out' This Year?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-07, 04:31 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

What is the one ride this year that 'Sticks Out' among the rest? I think the ride that sticks out in my mind in 2007 was a solo ride up 39,lil GMR to the Village then back the same way. I had never ridden up that direction before till I did the Bloat Ride. After doing a couple of forum rides on that rt., I decided to do it alone but return via EF and 39. The ride was 70'ish miles. I remember thinking EF and 39 were going to be all downhill. I was surprised. Who put uphills on the downhill? But I think the most punishing part of that ride was the unexpected winds on the roads I had underestimated.

Big GMR had been closed during construction that day. I was expecting to see other cyclist up there but only managed to see one other. It was a long isolated ride. Thought it would never end! I'm not really sure why, but this ride just stick in my head!
Old 10-21-07, 04:35 PM
no more nellie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's at tie:

Hemet and Sea to Summit.

Hemet was the toughest mentally (and being a double, the miles added to this) and without my ride partner being there, I would have quit.

Sea to Summit was the hardest physically (and with the climbing involved, this added to the difficulty) but the most rewarding, and without my ride partner being there for me and me for my ride partner, we both might have quit.

Sea to Summit wins as my favorite. I put lots of hair on my chest with that one and proved something to myself. I also rode with one of my favorite ride partners who doesn't sugar coat it and "gets it" in the same way I do with respect to the ride "experience." I think that synergy, if you will, was the perfect combination for a ride like that.
Old 10-21-07, 04:37 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Isn't it a bit early to be reflecting on the year? More than two months left! I should probably say Everest Challenge, but honestly the first thing that popped into my head was doing the Grand Tour the day after my food poisoning... It took me about a month to recover from that.
Old 10-21-07, 04:41 PM
no more nellie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, and no. I think the Doubles are winding down. I realize Steve that EVERY ride you do is epic and that you'll probably put in 200 miles on Christmas day. But the rest of us mortals are entering less aggressive ride days until January. I do have the Tour de Francis coming up that will kick my butt, but other than that, I can't imagine anything coming close to Sea to Summit for me.
Old 10-21-07, 05:10 PM
Does Not Exist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They've all blended together. None really sticks out that much.
Old 10-21-07, 05:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first century in March or April. And the PV ride with thomson and M.E. and the chili spaghetti afterwards. Can't remember the last time I laughed so hard or so long.
Old 10-21-07, 05:20 PM

Bikes: 1999 Norco ht mtb/2006 C'dale road bike/2007 Colnago CLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stagecoach at the start of the year. I think that's why I now have a small collection of winter cycling gear. I'm going to sign up again next year hoping I can beat it w/o limping to the finish line.
Old 10-21-07, 05:22 PM

Bikes: IRO Jamie Roy (fixed-gear commuter), Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS, Trek Madone 5.5, Specialized Allez Comp, Marin Mt. Vision Pro, Specialized M2 Hardtail, beater Nishiki fixed-gear conversion, Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking back on it, I actually had quite a few good rides/races this season. It's hard to pin down a favorite, but Kokopelli Trail Race, and Cascade Cream Puff would definitely be in the running for highlights of my season.

Both were really tough, but in slightly different ways.

Kokopelli Trail Race was an unsactioned, unsupported (in fact the governing rule of the race is: *no outside assistance*), mountain bike race running the length the Kokopelli Trail from Fruita, CO to Moab, UT. 142 mi. on a singlespeed mountain bike. ~18 hrs. One of the hardest things I've done on a bike, but it was a frickin' incredible ride.

Cascade Cream Puff is a 100 mile mtn. bike rice in Oakridge/Westfir, OR. 100 mi. 18k ft. of climbing over three laps on an incredible course. Some of the best singletrack I've ridden. That one took a little over 12 hrs, but it was a *hard* 12 horus. I also went home with an unwelcome souvenir from that one, in the form of nasty poison oak rash all over the place. Took at least a couple weeks for that to go away.

Then there was a non-race ride/hike trip that me and a couple friends took in the local mountains. We left Redlands at 10:30 p.m. and rode mountain bikes from Redlands up to the old South Fork Trailhead, at the top of Poop Out rd. Arrived at the trailhead around dawn, and summitted San Gorgonio peak, on foot, via Dollar Lake Trail. Returned via Dry Lake trail, and then climbed back on the bikes and rode home to Redlands, on the Santa Ana River Trail. Don't remember the mileage or vertical gain #s, for that one, but it took around 17 hours. We weren't going at race-pace, so it wasn't quite as grueling as KTR or the Creampuff, but it was a long night/day, and a hell of a lot of fun.

And of course there's Everest Challenge. But there's little I can add, that others probably hadn't already said about that one. It's definitely a tough one. Actually, I think Everest Challenge might be the toughest of all of them, mentally, just because I don't find grinding along on pavement quite as *fun* as a trail or dirt road out in the woods. I enjoy the challenge, but I don't get quite the same high on a road-bike that I do on my mountain bike, out in the middle of nowhere.

So, yeah, I had pretty good season.
Old 10-21-07, 05:23 PM
no more nellie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Happytime
My first century in March or April. And the PV ride with thomson and M.E. and the chili spaghetti afterwards. Can't remember the last time I laughed so hard or so long.
Well, now, if we're going to go by the fun times...that was one of my favorites too. I must say, through Bike Forums, I've met so many wonderful people. I had many great rides this year based on the company alone (and the chili spaghetti ).

I look forward to 2008!
Old 10-21-07, 06:03 PM
Racerboy Douchebaggery

Bikes: 2007 Cannondale systemSix, 2008 Bianchi Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Central Coast Double was the hardest and most painful for me, it took me weeks to recover.

The Easter Sierra Double was probably the one I enjoyed the most, though.
Old 10-21-07, 06:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool Breeze Century. My first time riding 100 miles in a day. Natch.

Jim
Old 10-21-07, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jpconrad
The Easter Sierra Double was probably the one I enjoyed the most, though.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one! Fighting headwinds, solo, on a rough road with big canyon-sized cracks every 18 inches (on my tooth-jarring aluminum frame). Aside from that, though, I'll agree with you.
Old 10-21-07, 07:02 PM

Bikes: Waterford 2200

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Taking an hour off of my triple time I think is the one that sticks out the most.
Old 10-21-07, 07:11 PM
riding once again

Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure. Either Breathless Agony or my Pie Ride today.
Old 10-21-07, 07:26 PM
Racerboy Douchebaggery

Bikes: 2007 Cannondale systemSix, 2008 Bianchi Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VanceMac
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one! Fighting headwinds, solo, on a rough road with big canyon-sized cracks every 18 inches (on my tooth-jarring aluminum frame). Aside from that, though, I'll agree with you.
I have already forgotten that part, willingly.
Old 10-21-07, 08:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Horseshoe Meadows and Whitney Portal.
Old 10-21-07, 08:16 PM
Marrield as of 11/07/09

Bikes: 2010 Giant TCR Advanced SL 2, Mercier Kilo WT, Ibex Trophy 770 Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vertical bob
Horseshoe Meadows and Whitney Portal.
My most memorable ride too. Does it count as one ride if I stopped for lunch in between? If not then just Horseshoe Meadows.
Old 10-21-07, 08:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Entropy906
My most memorable ride too. Does it count as one ride if I stopped for lunch in between? If not then just Horseshoe Meadows.
Mandatory lunch stop..I had mine on the tailgate of a pickup at the campground. Oh, and don't forget a large coke.
Old 10-21-07, 08:46 PM
Embracing the fredness

Bikes: Habanero Ti ,Trek Pilot 2.1 , Niner Jet9 29'r, Giant Cadex 380

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSANYYZ
Stagecoach at the start of the year. I think that's why I now have a small collection of winter cycling gear. I'm going to sign up again next year hoping I can beat it w/o limping to the finish line.
Dave...Mark andI are doing Stagecoach in April this time....January is just too cold...even with winter gear..
Old 10-21-07, 09:04 PM
Marrield as of 11/07/09

Bikes: 2010 Giant TCR Advanced SL 2, Mercier Kilo WT, Ibex Trophy 770 Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vertical bob
Mandatory lunch stop..I had mine on the tailgate of a pickup at the campground. Oh, and don't forget a large coke.
I just went to that pizza place in Lone Pine but yours sounds much better.
Old 10-21-07, 09:43 PM
Does Not Exist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trevor, those MTB rides sound brutal. How long was the hiking portion up to San Gorgonio?
Old 10-21-07, 09:46 PM
Giddyap

Bikes: 2006 Kuota K Factor, 2003 Fuji Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Solvang Century in March, my first organized century ride.

(Hey! Who rotated the smilies?!?)

Visit my blog: Live from La Quinta
Old 10-21-07, 11:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Barrio Logan Grand Prix. This the state criterium championships. I have always enjoyed this race. It is an awesome technical course in an area of San Diego. Part of what makes it so cool is the support that the barrio shows for the race. I had good form last year and was taken out by another rider and unable to continue about half way in to the race. This year it was not one of my priority races but I had a reason to want to ride well. Early into the race a promising break went that I was able to follow. After about a lap I looked around and saw the five other guys that were there and I knew that I made the winning move. I was hoping for a top five and figured that with the guys that were there I would be lucky to get it. Oh well, I thought, sixth at the state championships is pretty good. Two of the guys in the break were professionals, so if I could at least beat one of the other cat 1s, I could medal (pros are inelgible for state champ. medals). The pace was very fast and suddenly two of the guys were out the back, including one of the pros. Now I knew that I would at least get the top five I hoped for and would for sure medal. When we came into the last lap it was obvious that the remaining pro was riding to help his brother get the state championship jersey. I chose what I thought was my best option and rode smart enough to beat the other guy in the break and get 3rd place in the race and the silver medal for the state championships.
That was my most memorable race. I remember most of my rides since I enjoy them. Even days like today, riding four hours in the mountains in the howling wind.
Old 10-21-07, 11:11 PM
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 275 Posts
prolly my 1st time playing catch up on the GMR ride was great, 2nd catchup ride just kicked my butt, was having a bad day on the bike.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 10-21-07, 11:26 PM

Bikes: IRO Jamie Roy (fixed-gear commuter), Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS, Trek Madone 5.5, Specialized Allez Comp, Marin Mt. Vision Pro, Specialized M2 Hardtail, beater Nishiki fixed-gear conversion, Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by efficiency
Trevor, those MTB rides sound brutal. How long was the hiking portion up to San Gorgonio?
I'm not sure about the total round-trip time. Was about 4 hours to the summit. I would guess 2 1/2 - 3 hrs. back down to the bikes, as we were moving at a pretty good clip on the return hike, and didn't take any breaks on the way down. On the way up we took a 15 minute or so break, about halfway up, and probably one or two 5 minute breaks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.