Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Heading to the LBS Today to buy my first bike, hopefully -- Specialized Hardrock!!

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Heading to the LBS Today to buy my first bike, hopefully -- Specialized Hardrock!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-07, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So as the title reads..
im heading to the LBS today to check out the Specialized Hardrock Sport, going to listen to their recommendations, ride a few bikes, hopefully, and maybe end up walking out with the Hardrock Sport if i like it!
Any recommendations from my fellow bikers as To Do's and Not To Do's -- or questions i may want to ask -- or things i may want to purchase additionally to make my riding experience better/comfortable/enjoyable??

Also wanted to see what kind of price range i should end up paying?? Dont want to get overdone by the LBS, so i need a general estimate, i know they will be on the upward side of any posted internet price, but a general knowledge of fair pricing would be excellent! Thanks in advance!

Colin
Old 10-22-07, 03:24 PM
Slumberjack

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I paid $379. plus TT&L. MIne is a 2007. '08's may be more.
Old 10-23-07, 09:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well i went to the store yesterday...
i had a little dilema i had to take care of before heading to the LBS so i got to the LBS about 10 mins. before they closed, so i walked around until a guy there asked me if i needed help, he proceeded in telling me the details on the bike (specialized hardrock)..I was excited, but decided rather than trying to fly through the whole buying experience (getting sized, test riding the bike, get proper tools and extra goodies) i told him i would be back Saturday afternoon! WOOOHOOOO Im really excited!

He had 2007 Models on clearance, and i think he was selling the Specialized hardrock w/ disc brakes, hyd. fork, etc. for $550...the base model Hardrock Sport was listed for $389, but im sure if it is a 2007 model it will be lower...as i was walking out the door i saw the bike, an XL frame Specialized Hardrock Sport (ALL BLACK)!

My question..should i go for the more upgraded model (disc brakes, etc.) for a little more, or just stick with the cheaper base model??

Thanks again in advance!
Old 10-23-07, 11:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sfy03
well i went to the store yesterday...
i had a little dilema i had to take care of before heading to the LBS so i got to the LBS about 10 mins. before they closed, so i walked around until a guy there asked me if i needed help, he proceeded in telling me the details on the bike (specialized hardrock)..I was excited, but decided rather than trying to fly through the whole buying experience (getting sized, test riding the bike, get proper tools and extra goodies) i told him i would be back Saturday afternoon! WOOOHOOOO Im really excited!

He had 2007 Models on clearance, and i think he was selling the Specialized hardrock w/ disc brakes, hyd. fork, etc. for $550...the base model Hardrock Sport was listed for $389, but im sure if it is a 2007 model it will be lower...as i was walking out the door i saw the bike, an XL frame Specialized Hardrock Sport (ALL BLACK)!

My question..should i go for the more upgraded model (disc brakes, etc.) for a little more, or just stick with the cheaper base model??

Thanks again in advance!
Can always upgrade later, I didnt go with the disc brakes, and mine stops on a dime.
Old 10-23-07, 02:15 PM

Bikes: 2002 Seven Axiom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Upgrades such as disk brakes are less expensive if you get them with bike.
Plus you then have the warranty, ervice etc.

Question is, do you need them?

You decide

Ride hard

Rob
Old 10-23-07, 04:39 PM
Vorsprung durch Technik

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Crossroads, 1985 Raleigh Sportif

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Disc brakes are mainly designed for offrad riding in heave mud and dirt where the rims get to dirty for a std brake to work. I wuld g with regular brakes if you are riding gravel or pavememt.
Old 10-26-07, 09:28 AM
WWE Champion

Bikes: 1988 REI Special BananaBike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a base model hardrock from 2002, and the upgrades I've done are:

Pedals - stock ones are too small $20
Seat - Didn't like the stock seat for long rides - $60
Fork - the stock fork bottomed out too easily - $200
Bottom Bracket - Broke last year $15

So, about $300 extra over 4 years. No issues with the stock brakes at all. As already said, if you are going to be a monster in the mud, you should look into them, but the hardrock disc brakes aren't the greatest in the world anyways. I skipped the options. You'll have to decide if you want them or not.

If you do want fancy options, I'd look at IBEX bikes, and order one online.