Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Regina Extra freewheel maintenance?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-07, 06:38 PM
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The freewheel in my classic bike, a '84 Guerciotti, has been making a creepy noise as if it has a loose bearing ball and some sand in it grinding as it turns. I thought at first it was the hub needing repacking, but after getting it repacked, cleansed, and even putting new ball bearings just for the heck of it, I am sure it is the freewheel. Is there another bearing inside the freewheel that can be serviced as well?? Or do I just need to try to replace it with another freewheel altogether? It is a 6 speed (13-21) Regina Extra by the way. The guy at the LBS did not seem to know what to do with it other than tell me he thought it was the freewheel too. Just in case, I ordered another already froma guy on ebay, but I would like to salvage this one as well if at all possible.
Old 10-22-07, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You can try and take the freewheel off of the hub, hold the center and spin the sprockets while dripping light oil in the crack to relube the bearings.

Or.....

https://sheldonbrown.com/freewheels.html

scroll down for freewheel rebuilding
Old 10-22-07, 06:56 PM

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here are some extra ebay auction links for an regina 6 speed

https://cgi.ebay.com/NOS-Regina-Extra...QQcmdZViewItem

https://cgi.ebay.com/NOS-Regina-Extra...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-22-07, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
For a time, I was shopping ebay for a five speed 14 x 28 Regina freewheel for my '72 Raleigh International. I eventually found one, but I also noticed it was common to see the Regina freewheel mechanisms for sale by themselves.
Old 10-23-07, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DDYTDY
You can try and take the freewheel off of the hub, hold the center and spin the sprockets while dripping light oil in the crack to relube the bearings.

Or.....

https://sheldonbrown.com/freewheels.html

scroll down for freewheel rebuilding
You can also (and easier) do that without taking the freewheel off the hub: just take the wheel off, hold the axle in your hands and spin the wheel to see if the grittiness is indeed not in the hub bearing. This done, put the wheel on its side, freewheel up, and spin the freewheel. Drip light oil in the gap between rotating and fixed parts. If you have a freewheel removal tool, you can take it off and do the same on the inside as well. This works most of the time. Keep in mind the freewheel bearings are never under rotating load, they are only loaded static when riding, and low rotating load when freewheeling. Most of the issues are with the pawls freezing and failing to engage.
Old 10-23-07, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
You can flush out any crud with wd40 then re-oil.
Best to remove the freewheel (using tool-in-bench-vice method), place small cog down in a small plastic tub and introduce the fluids though the rotating gap.