Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Which mask to use for outdoor activity during fire season?

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Old 10-24-07, 01:33 PM
mac
They see me rollin'

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale T2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was thinking of using the 3M 8293 P100 Respirator while lifting, running, and cycling outdoors. The smoke from the various fires has spread to my area and it smells like a BBQ. If I use a NIOSH 100 mask, would I be putting myself at risk by working outdoors, especially heavy/deep-breathing exercises?
Old 10-24-07, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was going to suggest a Lucha mask...
Old 10-24-07, 02:43 PM
Queen of France

Bikes: Look 565, Trek 2120

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mac
I was thinking of using the 3M 8293 P100 Respirator while lifting, running, and cycling outdoors. The smoke from the various fires has spread to my area and it smells like a BBQ. If I use a NIOSH 100 mask, would I be putting myself at risk by working outdoors, especially heavy/deep-breathing exercises?
Yes you would. While that's about the best disposable maske there is, it still won't filter out all the really small particles in smoke. It would be better than nothing if you insist on heavy exercise now but it you be best to wait a bit.
Old 10-24-07, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you never used a respirator before, then buy that model to try it out for light exercise. It's more of a dust mask with an exhale valve than anything else and a less expensive dust or surgical mask would work just as well. And the air you breathe through the mask will be warm to hot, plus some people may feel bothered with the slight extra effort in breathing.

The 3M 6000 Series half mask (or most brands of half mask respirators) with replaceable cartridges is better, filters out more stuff, and is easier to breathe with. Plus you can buy a variety of different filters for different environmental conditions to make the mask more versatile.
Old 10-24-07, 02:49 PM
Live To Ride Another Day!

Bikes: Pig with lipstick (Trek Pilot 2.1 Ulterga Group/Compact Crank)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mac
I suggest mascara after looking at your avatar. You need to blend it in with those eyebrows dude! And stay in doors.
Old 10-24-07, 03:37 PM
europoseur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear this:

Chicks dig it!
Old 10-24-07, 07:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedee
I wear this:
Chicks dig it!

That's hot.

Wait a sec... didn't I see you wearing that while riding down Piuma? Or was it Via Coronel?
Old 10-24-07, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sci-Fi
The 3M 6000 Series half mask (or most brands of half mask respirators) with replaceable cartridges is better, filters out more stuff, and is easier to breathe with. Plus you can buy a variety of different filters for different environmental conditions to make the mask more versatile.
I'm holding out for the carbon fiber version...
Old 10-24-07, 10:13 PM
Spinning like a gerbel

Bikes: Seven

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I've been watching CNN, and one doctor was recommending something called N95, which filters out the small particulates that doesn't get caught by the normal masks. After watching that, it makes reading reports of other people riding out there so incredible. Be careful out there everyone, and wear those masks!

My Cycling Blog
Old 10-24-07, 10:36 PM

Bikes: '06 Specialized Allez Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you never used a respirator before, then buy that model to try it out for light exercise. It's more of a dust mask with an exhale valve than anything else and a less expensive dust or surgical mask would work just as well. And the air you breathe through the mask will be warm to hot, plus some people may feel bothered with the slight extra effort in breathing.

I've got an older model 3M half mask, and I can't imagine trying to do any meaningful cycling using it. The flow is nominally better than one of the plain jane filters, but the throughput isn't enough for anything beyond light effort. The filters do work, but clog relatively rapidly when you use them in conditions with a lot of fine particles, and the harder/faster you breath, the faster it clogs. You could probably do something akin to a recovery ride wearing one, but no hills, speed work, etc. Best bet would be wait until the air clears, and check out a spinning class at the local gym in the interim.

You do get the Darth Vader sound effect when you have to breath hard through it, though.
Old 10-24-07, 10:37 PM
mac
They see me rollin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the air you breathe through the mask will be warm to hot, plus some people may feel bothered with the slight extra effort in breathing.

The 3M 6000 Series half mask
Yeah, I have this other flexible mask and it is a pain to breathe, especially while doing heavy lifting, etc. I was looking at those 3M 6000 masks. Any recommendations on the Small, Medium, or Large model? I wanted to order them over the Internet but I figure I need to try them on first for the best fit. Know of any retail store that carries them?

Originally Posted by spingineer
one doctor was recommending something called N95
N95 is a lower standard than N100.
Old 10-24-07, 10:45 PM
Catherine

Bikes: Trek 1600 WSD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spingineer
I've been watching CNN, and one doctor was recommending something called N95, which filters out the small particulates that doesn't get caught by the normal mask
That is the one they are giving away at the evacuation center (El Toro high school).
Old 10-25-07, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mac
Yeah, I have this other flexible mask and it is a pain to breathe, especially while doing heavy lifting, etc. I was looking at those 3M 6000 masks. Any recommendations on the Small, Medium, or Large model? I wanted to order them over the Internet but I figure I need to try them on first for the best fit. Know of any retail store that carries them?
Try Home Depot, Lowes, or one of those Tool Supply stores. The usually carry a few brands and models you can try on.
Old 10-25-07, 01:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedee
I wear this:

Chicks dig it!
These aren't the droids I'm looking for.
Old 10-25-07, 07:44 PM
mac
They see me rollin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I went to Home Depot and bought the AO Safety Professional Multi-purpose Respirator.

It's NIOSH 100 rated and can be used for asbestos. I rode it on my trainer out back on the patio and it worked fine. The only issue is that I had to go into the house whenever I wanted to drink, however, I think a CamelBak hose could be wedged in. It would temporarily break the seal, but I'm not working with asbestos.

I tried weightlifting with it, but it kept getting in the way when doing Olympic movements. So I'm pissed I can't workout until the sky clears (2 weeks?). Gold's/World's, etc. are for bodybuilders and they won't let me use chalk nor do they have bumper plates or platforms. I supposed I could close my garage, run my portable HEPA filter all night in there, then workout the next day with the door closed. Hopefully the air in there would be okay, but the temperature would be over a 100.