Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Riding through camp pendleton

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-07, 09:00 PM

Bikes: Lemond Chambery, Giant OCR A0, scott scale 30, kona kikapu dlx, gary fisher rig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding through camp pendleton

Ok it has been a week since i have been on the bike and since it showerd some today the air quality has gotten way better. So since I have been on lock down in fallbrook since I did't evacuate I plan on riding from fallbrook to san clemente and back through camp pendleton and was just wondering if anyone has ridden it today or knows if they are letting cyclist though so i know if i can do this ride.
Old 10-27-07, 09:24 PM
LIVIN'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I heard they do, just bring some form of identification like your CA driver's license.
Old 10-27-07, 09:33 PM

Bikes: Lemond Chambery, Giant OCR A0, scott scale 30, kona kikapu dlx, gary fisher rig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OH i have ridden through camp pendleton pleanty of time I am just wondering with the fires and all if they have it open to cyclist
Old 10-27-07, 11:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's always the freeway shoulder if the base is closed, but I usually like riding through the base better.
Old 10-28-07, 09:56 AM
Cat None

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by igoyippy4skippy
Ok it has been a week since i have been on the bike and since it showerd some today the air quality has gotten way better. So since I have been on lock down in fallbrook since I did't evacuate I plan on riding from fallbrook to san clemente and back through camp pendleton and was just wondering if anyone has ridden it today or knows if they are letting cyclist though so i know if i can do this ride.
Air quality is horrible along the coast. Smelled like smoke big time this morning (I live in Oceanside about 6 miles from the coast).

Anyway, I've ridden through camp Pendleton many times. All you need is your driver's license and they'll let you ride through the base. You can always call them, they'll let you know if the base is open to civilians or not.
Old 10-28-07, 10:20 AM
Directionally Challenged

Bikes: 2000 Turner Burner, MTB, 2007 Turner 5 Spot MTB, 08 Bianchi Axis CX bike, Giant TCR 01 Carbon Road,Surly 1X1 ss MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We had some friends go through yesterday, they were told to wait at the gate for 20 minutes before they got the okay. MP's were not sure if they were letting bikes thru.
Old 10-28-07, 10:22 AM
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
I was about to ask how the air was out there, was debating on driving to the coast to ride. Air in Esco SUCKS!!! smoke settling in around here. Guess no riding early today. I'll have to wait and see what it does after the charger game
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 10-28-07, 10:29 AM

Bikes: 1999 Norco ht mtb/2006 C'dale road bike/2007 Colnago CLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure about the camp. I can smell smoke inside the car when I drove through the 5/405 merge area and the nuclear plant area last night.

I didn't smell smoke when riding the SDBC C+ 50 miles route yesterday (PCH south of La Costa).
Old 10-28-07, 10:47 AM
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I didn't smell smoke, or see smoke, either on the SDBC route yesterday, except for one spot just before we hit the coast. I think it's called del mar highland valley, or something like that. There seemed to be a little pocket of ugliness there. But the coast seemed significantly improved.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-28-07, 11:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not gonna ride on the freeway.. I know you can but I don't know how people do it...you have to be insane... I will give camp pendleton a try to see if they are letting cyclist though and if not then I guess I will just ride back home.
Old 10-28-07, 12:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The freeway sounds worse than it is - to me there's little difference between riding on a freeway shoulder versus riding in a bike lane on the high speed roads in my area. Probably the worst thing about the freeway is the noise, and also the debris on the shoulder if it's not swept. The latter is enough to make me prefer the base, though.