Search this Thread

Old 10-29-07, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Skyline BLVD Highway 35

Hi All
I'm new to bay area and I am living in San Francisco ( Outer Sunset)
I have just started biking out Skyline BLVD and was wondering what the easiest and safest way
to get past the section of the 280 just after the San Bruno Ave junction so I can get back onto Syline at
Trousdale Drive,

Also if anyone can recommend some good rides out of San Francisco i would appreciate the help, I have done the Golden Gate Sausalito route but just looking for more safe routes out of the City,

Thanks in advance

Last edited by bigtruck; 10-30-07 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-29-07, 05:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, first off, it's not THE 280, it's just plain old 280. Just like it's not THE Skyline Blvd.
Now, that said... right at San Bruno Ave and Skyline there is a bike path -well, a MUP, really- that parallels Skyline and goes UNDER 280. It also has the added benefit of running alongside Crystal Springs, a most beautiful ride. Keep following that and you can end up at the Black Mountain Road exit (I think) and run on down to Canada Road.

And, welcome to the incredible SF/Bay Area/Peninsula region!
Old 10-29-07, 06:46 PM
I hate stinky cars !!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to The CIty. That's the route around 280 but I think that route sucks. I always seem to get flats on Skyline Blvd between the beach and Hickey because of all the debris. I'd go North if I were you. Lots of places to ride there.
Old 10-29-07, 08:49 PM
Senior Moment Member

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite Double & 2008 Look 555

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi! Welcome to the Bay Area! Where'd ya move from?

Keep your eyes peeled in this forum and you'll find several rides in the bay area.

Or, if you want to do a ride post up in this section also and see who can ride with you. Most times you'll find a riding partner to kick it with. I've been on a few ride with the NorCal folks and everyone has always been really cool and hospitable.

Again, welcome!
Gary
Old 10-29-07, 10:50 PM
Direct Hit Not Required

Bikes: Leopard DC1, Ridley X-Fire, GT Zaskar 9r

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigtruck
Hi All
I new to bay area and I am living in San Francisco ( Outer Sunset)
I have just started biking out Skyline BLVD and was wondering what the easiest and safest way
to get past the section of the 280 just after the San Bruno Ave junction so I can get back onto Syline at
Trousdale Drive,

Also if anyone can recommend some good rides out of San Francisco i would appreciate the help, I have done the Golden Gate Sausalito route but just looking for more safe routes out of the City,

Thanks in advance

Hi, Welcome to the Bay Area.
There are two sections where you can hit 280. Here is a route from San Bruno Ave@Skyline to Trousdale@Skyline that stays off 280.
https://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1421299
See you on the road sometime.
Henry
Old 10-29-07, 11:38 PM

Bikes: Vitus 979 Cilo, Cannondale CAAD9, Specialized Rockhopper, Trek 760

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello.. I live in Daly City and one of my favorite routes is Skyline/Hickey Blvd to Crystal Springs Rd and back. Right past San Bruno Ave, you can actually ride on the side of 280 freeway (bicycles are allowed per sign), exit on Larkspur Dr left, right on Skyline, and enter the freeway again at Hillcrest and exit at Trousdale Dr. The "bicycle" part on the prohibited signs are whited out. The mup right past San Bruno ave is too crowded sometimes. Check it out; check the signs. See ya there...
Old 10-30-07, 08:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help Guys/Girls

Gee3, I just moved here from New Zealand

WagonRX, I know what you mean about the Debris especially bad on Mondays after the weekend

JesusGarcia, Wow ride on side of 280 , Sounds scary but will check it out
Old 10-30-07, 09:29 AM
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help Guys/Girls

Gee3, I just moved here from New Zealand

WagonRX, I know what you mean about the Debris especially bad on Mondays after the weekend

Join us for one of the BF rides! They're social rides and always has great company!
Old 10-30-07, 10:47 AM
Tandem Mountain Climber

Bikes: Calfee Tandem, Litespeed Gravel, SuperSix Evo HM, Larry vs. Harry Bullitt (e-cargo)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

You only do it from like one exit to the next. Trousdale to Larkspur, I believe.

Don't miss the exit, like I did the first time I tried it. A CHP Officer came over and asked me what the hell I was doing.
Old 10-30-07, 11:22 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10428 Post(s)
Liked 11,902 Times in 6,097 Posts
I used to ride up Sawyer Camp trail to Millbrae, then back via Skyline. You get on at the Millbrae Ave/Larkspur Ave on-ramp, and right off again at the Trousdale off-ramp. you're well away from the cars, but still - 4 lanes of traffic zooming by at 60-80 mph is freaky.

IIRC, the reason you're allowed to ride on 280 for that short stretch is because there's no direct non-freeway route, and the law requires that bicycles be allowed to use the freeway if there's no other direct path.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-30-07, 11:44 AM
Ride the lightning

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi and welcome to the Bay Area.

I've been living in the Peninsula (San Mateo/Foster City) for about 7 years, and just recently moved to San Francisco, so I'm also learning my way around the city (although I keep doing most of my weekend rides in the Peninsula).

Here's a map that can be helpful. It's from the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition. You can buy a printed version on some bike stores.

There's also a good book in Amazon for $9 that list several routes around San Francisco, from easy to moderate to hard. I haven't had a chance to try them all, but I liked the way the routes are explained. You can browse through some pages on Amazon.
Here's the link.

But as Alan (SesameCrunch) mentioned, the best way is to join the BF rides. Last weekend (during the Mt. Tam Ride), I learned 2 new (and easier) ways to get to/from the Golden Gate.

Hope this helps

Angel.

Hi All
I new to bay area and I am living in San Francisco ( Outer Sunset)
Trousdale Drive,

Thanks in advance
Old 10-30-07, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
Instead of turning around in Sausalito, continue through town and down the MUP all the way to Mill Valley and then go east to do a loop around Tiburon. You get great views of the bay (especially in the fall).

You've just moved to a verifiable cycling mecca. Enjoy!
Old 10-30-07, 11:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Niknak, Just read your blog, Man you must have got wet biking around New Zealand at that time of the year, But looks like you had a good time, Its a shame I did not know about your ride as I could have arranged so much for you ie free accommodation etc, Did you go to any Rugby games ?? Loved the sheep photos LOL

Zorrov99, Already have the map and have just booked the book at the library , Thanks