Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Come on winter!!!

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Come on winter!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-07, 08:07 PM
Friend of Jimmy K

Bikes: A lot: Raliegh road bike, 3 fixed gears, 2 single speeds, 3 Cannondales, a couple of Schwinns

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Come on winter!!!

I know this is asking for it, but I'm ready for the cold. I have the sweaters out of storage from the dry cleaners, my scarf has a moth hole, my smart wool socks are at the top of the drawer, I washed my lined tights, ordered a pair of Perl Ozumi Lobster gloves, I'm ready. Come on Old man winter do your damnedest I can't wait, well I can, but I'm dying for the cold again, as much as I dislike it, I can't wait for it to get here, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's the days get longer, and the cold just gets colder, by February I'm ready for Summer to get here.

Just some wishful thinking on a wonderful autumnal night.
Old 10-29-07, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
It is a nice evening. Started a fire in the fire pit and had an extended round of bedtime stories with the kids by firelight.

I look forward to winter each year too, but alas I don't have my winter bike ready yet. It would only take a night though ;-)

See you on the trails...
Old 10-29-07, 10:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why do so many of you guys have "winter bikes?"
Old 10-29-07, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by gosmsgo
I have two bikes, - a mountain bike and a road bike. The "Winter Bike" is my mountain bike, although if I had a need for a mountain bike during the summer that's what I'd use. It currently needs a new chain and the front derailleur needs some work. The mountain bike is about 12 years old and the road bike is about 20.

I've been thinking that having narrower tires might be an advantage in the slop I sometimes ride in so if I had the garage space and some extra cash I actually wouldn't mind having two winter/beater bikes.

I'd use my current road bike as an alternate during the winter but I want to keep at least one of my cycles in decent shape so I keep the road bike off the salty winter roads.
Old 10-30-07, 02:07 AM

Bikes: Surly 1x1 with Nexux 8 "Red line"

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We had our first drop of snow this yesterday. I don't think we even had a full centimeter of it. I'm anxiously waiting for my bike shop to call to say they got my tires.
Old 10-30-07, 06:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I must be hypersensitive to the cold this year. I'm already wearing tights and two shirt layers in the low 60's, but I'm comfortable which translates to more enjoyable miles.
Old 10-30-07, 12:06 PM
Biscuit Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The snow came and then went with a Chinook wind. So after hurridly getting my Icebike ready I've been riding on dry pavement for a week. It BITES! I want SNOW. I want SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW. I'm sick of this balmy 40 f. wind from the south. If I wanted that kind of weather I'd move to Florida.
Old 10-30-07, 08:40 PM
ǝıd ǝʌol ʎllɐǝɹ I

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yup, snowed last nite here. I was out about midnite - 1am and there was ticking rain mixed in with some snowflakes. Not good, my icebike ain't ready yet.

pluc, in what part of the city are you to have gotten accumulation on the ground?

Old 10-30-07, 09:28 PM
Living the n+1

Bikes: 2019 RM Blizzard, 2013 SuperX, 2007 Litespeed Vortex, 1970 Falcon Olympic, 2008 RM Metropolis IGH, 2004 Specialized Enduro, 2006 Langster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Because we can....
Old 10-31-07, 06:20 AM

Bikes: '98 Rhygin SS road,'99 Fat Chance Ti Fat, '95 Azonic Mtn bike, '88 Giant Sedona.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have winter wheels with nokians on them. Slap them on the Fat and my winter bike is ready to go.
Old 10-31-07, 07:05 AM

Bikes: Surly 1x1 with Nexux 8 "Red line"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeanCoutu
pluc, in what part of the city are you to have gotten accumulation on the ground?]
I'm in Loretteville just by Wendake's entrance. It stayed partly overnight but it melted soon in the morning.
Old 10-31-07, 10:35 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't relish winter's arrival but i know it's coming. There are obviously parts of winter cycling that i really enjoy but it drags of for FAR too long for my benefit. Maybe it drags on too long because we try and start it too early. Winter is almost 2 months away.
Old 10-31-07, 12:09 PM
Biscuit Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well winter should be here now if we're going to get our full six months. Instead we're getting more winds off the Gulf turning all the snow to rain. I could have kept the slicks on for another two weeks! I'm fair sick of cold rain.
Old 10-31-07, 12:55 PM
Soma Lover

Bikes: one bike for every day of the week

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because when the Soma is set up for cyclocross: knobbies, no fenders, no rack; I need something else to commute on. Enter the full fendered, always rack equipped, Jamis Aurora with 35/37c tires.
Old 11-02-07, 05:38 AM
Friend of Jimmy K

Bikes: A lot: Raliegh road bike, 3 fixed gears, 2 single speeds, 3 Cannondales, a couple of Schwinns

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We have snow in our forecast, looks like a chance on Monday. I do think I road with some flakes the other night. Either it was ash or snow, but it was so sparse that I couldn't catch a flake to know for sure.

And as far as having a winter bike, I just have a lot of bikes, and living in a city that throws salt down it is nice to have a bike you don't mind getting all cruddy and eaten away by summer (it hasn't happened, but there is always the paranoid fear that it will one day happen).

I have noticed that there are a lot less orpahned bikes around since the price of gas has gone up. I have always been able to find one or two Schwinn World Sports or Travelers in a dumpster, but not this year, maybe it is the new bike shop at the end of the block with all the used bikes. They have got to be somewhere.

Last edited by naisme; 11-02-07 at 05:43 AM.
Old 11-02-07, 01:34 PM
Biscuit Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm yoiking for snow.
Old 11-08-07, 07:52 AM
1coolrider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cosmoline
Well winter should be here now if we're going to get our full six months. Instead we're getting more winds off the Gulf turning all the snow to rain. I could have kept the slicks on for another two weeks! I'm fair sick of cold rain.
Cos,

I'm still riding w/ my summer tires on only because I've been too lazy to switch to my studs. I guess when we get a real dump of snow I'll be forced to change them out. Actually the riding has been pretty good lately. Not much traffic on the trails. But I'm with you, think Snow!
Old 11-08-07, 11:41 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The correct number of bikes to own is...

N = n + 1

Where,
N = the number to own, and
n = the number you have

I have a single-speed commuter for half the year and turn my touring/roadie summer bike into a winter bike with just fenders, lights, racks and have two sets of wheels -- one for 28mm rain tires and 50mm studded tires for snow/ice days.