Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Reynolds Alta Aero Race vs. Aero Comp

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-07, 02:34 PM
Glorified Blender

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I just picked up a set of Reynolds Alta Aero Race wheels online, and they were delivered today. Now for the big question... did they send me the wrong wheels?

The rims are labeled Alta Aero Comp, which first started my suspicion. I haven't seen the Aero Comps in sliver rims though. Both have the same spoke count/lacing pattern..

I pulled out my calipers and measured the rim depth, which came out to be the same as what the wheels should have been (30mm) but when I measured the spokes, they came out to be what should have been used on the Aero Comp wheels.

I don't have access to a scale, or else I'd just weigh them and figure out what I've got (200ish gram difference).

I wouldn't worry about it too much, except that there's a $300 difference in MSRP, and a $150 difference in the price at the retailer I got them from.

So, anybody with either of these wheels have some clear pictures of the labels on the rims so I can make a comparison, or some other easy way to tell the difference?

Thanks a bunch! Put my mind at ease!
Old 10-30-07, 03:02 PM

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/233828-reynolds-difference-between-alta-race-aero-comp.html
Old 10-30-07, 03:23 PM
Glorified Blender

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Zing! A winner! Thanks.

So what I basically gather from that is, they're the same wheels, different rims? Well, my rims are as advertised, and the spokes are not the Sapims, which is explained by that year old thread (still haven't updated product listings? Sheesh!).

Either way, sounds like I got what I ordered, more or less.

Thanks again!