Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Walmart E-zip?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Walmart E-zip?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-07, 07:23 PM
Change=inevitable. ?=+/-

Bikes: MTB, 700c commuter, BMX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Walmart E-zip?

I don't know if this is in fact the same as the Schwinn Izip or what. I saw one in wal-mart last weekend and liked how it had an optional second battery spot, and up to 40mile range with both batteries.

https://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=6339293

I might get one for those days I am not up to riding but must to get around. And maybe my dad will get back into riding with an easier method.
Old 11-01-07, 11:51 PM
Hooligan

Location: Base of the Rocky Mountains, Canada. Wonderous things!

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Hooligan 3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wouldn't expect a lot of performance or longevity out of it, but thats the cheapest complete e-bike i've ever seen.
Old 11-02-07, 08:10 AM
Pedaling fool

Bikes: 07 Schwinn Voyageur GSD, Next Avalon, 2007 Dahon Yeah

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There's been a couple of posts here about these currie equipped kits as having problems once they get to your door. Controllers fried, dented parts, etc. Customer service is good about getting parts to you, but you can count on a delay of 1-2 weeks for every part that they have to get to you.
Old 11-03-07, 08:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
most of the curries are pretty much the same,i have that ezip but im now converting mine to get more speed and range and that gunna cost just as much as new bike,the curries are cheap if you only want to do short trips on flat ground they are ok my ezip cost me $450 aussie,it runs ok but like i said if you want to get serious buy something with a bit more power and range,the ezip is a very heavy bike with those two 24 volt lead acid batteries
Old 11-06-07, 02:01 PM
velotaffer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
man, this thing's been hit with an ugly stick. though the price is right.
Old 11-09-07, 01:15 PM
Thread Killer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow went to the new highland village walmart and they had 7+ iZIPs in 2 or 3 different models/prices. They also had a $249 tandem!?! $1800 road bikes and a full bike shop. One of the people in there I know wrenched at a LBS. Their iZips were cheap enough to cannabilize and still be far ahead $$s. It looked pretty decent actually and when we go tonight to get dunkin donuts I might try it out. (haven't had DD since leaving Connecticut 3 years ago I want my bostom creme!!)
Old 11-10-07, 12:33 AM
Change=inevitable. ?=+/-

Bikes: MTB, 700c commuter, BMX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe I have convinced my girlfriend to get me the bike for Christmas. Atleast I am pretty sure since she recently put something on layaway at walmart. I'll be in Albuquerque till Christmas break however, so I am guarenteed to not be able to play with the bike.
Old 11-17-07, 10:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Save your money buy a nice road bike. The bugger weighs a ton on your own effort you can hit 15 mph and the motor will give you another 3 mph for a total of 18 mph?
Old 11-18-07, 12:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah i thought i would have been better spending my dough on a fast light road bike but then again i could not go to the shop without having to pedal and thats the fun of these ebike,but i agree a road bike will get you there faster.
Old 04-06-08, 02:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
walmart e-bike

Please to let me know if u get the walmart bike..I have been looking at the "e-trike" they have for sale to run errands around town..according to the ad it would do nicely as I have 1 miles to go both ways to do everything I need..I have yet to know of a person who has purchased one..the only two catches I can think of is that Walmart items arent known as "quality" goods..and if they break down ..they dont repair them there..so the bike will be shipped off and repaired somewhere and it could take months if its anything like their mowers being repaired....a few ppl I know have had experience with walmart mowers being repaired and they unloaded the mowers at bargain basement prices when they finally got them back...to get a brand that has its own service..but you cant beat the walmart prices out th door..the only experiences I have read about with the "trikes is one lady is pleased with it..and another lady bought one and the rear axle broke on her..these ladies are both senior citizens..these r "comments" I read supposely on the trikes by the ladies..the thing with me and where I live...the nearest dealer for an ebike dealer is 90 miles away one way so if I did go to a "dealer"bought one and and it did break down..I can figure a 3 hr drive round trip taking the bike back to them for repairs..and if Im really lucky..they can fix it that day..so I can count on a whole day shot probably..if not..then it will be 6hrs round trip to pick it up and get it when its ready..and feeding a f-250 ford gas for a 6 hr ride + the repair bill for the bike if not under a warrantee..could add up quickly..and then u know if these ebikes catch on the govt will have to get their fingers in the pie somewhere..I better stop before I talk myself out of the idea of getting one
Old 04-08-08, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hmm. Looks interesting in writing at least. The question begs to be asked - why a mountain bike? Think of all the juice being used to shlug those heavy tires. Since it isn't actually designed for off-road, why not switch over to lighter, more efficient wheel? My guess is that it would extend the range at least.

What are the grey boxes hanging off of the rear carrier? Are those batteries? If so, a 15 mile range for those honking batteries doesn't seem like much. Again, maybe lighter more efficient wheels/tires would improve the range.

I too am looking forward to hearing some feedback from owners of these machines.

Old 04-08-08, 08:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mike, Im not sure if this is the 2008 eZip now avail from walmart. I did buy the 2007 model and had site-to-store shipping(free shipping). then called Currie directly and bought the 2nd battery. They do slide and lock into the rear carriers as the picture illustrates. I have only performed one test on a kinda windy day..Im guessing about 10 miles and I really did NO pedalling. then I switched to battery 2. Ill be putting a speedo on it for a few more tests, I still say go for it !! The 2008 model at walmart looks good. Side note, My 2007 has road tires w/o the usual mountain bike tread so the bike does roll good. Im liking it !
Old 04-10-08, 04:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mike -

I also have access to a 2007 E-Zip Mountain Trailz purchased online from Wal-Mart. Since the bike is mostly preassembled, your odds of receiving a quality bike from the manufacturer is much better than receiving one assembled at your local store. The bike is solid, weighs about 70 lbs. with ONE battery pack, and works fairly reliably. This bike's power comes from a 24v 450W, brushed motor driven by 2 12V SLA batteries wired in series in each case. Each battery pack will normally transport you about 10 miles in a wind speed of about 20mph if you assist by peddling, but the pack will be drained beyond recommendations for a SLA. Consider a range of 7-8 miles the limit for each pack if you drain them to about 1/4 capacity, or 3/4s of their full charge. For the price, the bike is worth it, but only you can say for sure and remember, YMMV. Good luck.

Last edited by tpreitzel; 04-10-08 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-10-08, 05:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have already built an Ebike but for this price i could use this as a backup for commuting. My thoughts are to replace the battery pack with my LifepO4 battery to get back the range needed.

But when i follow the link it says "Not Available Online", "Not Available In Stores".
Does someone now of another way i could get 1?

thx jim......
Old 04-10-08, 06:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jim124
I have already built an Ebike but for this price i could use this as a backup for commuting. My thoughts are to replace the battery pack with my LifepO4 battery to get back the range needed.

But when i follow the link it says "Not Available Online", "Not Available In Stores".
Does someone now of another way i could get 1?

thx jim......
Forget buying the 2007 model from Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart is now selling the 2008 model of the E-Zip, but at substantially higher price, $348 versus $299 for the 2007 model. However, the price is still reasonable.

Some differences between these two models, e.g. tires, seat:
MTB- https://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8467094
https://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=8467096

Last edited by tpreitzel; 04-11-08 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-11-08, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tpreitzel
Mike -

I also have access to a 2007 E-Zip Mountain Trailz purchased online from Wal-Mart. Since the bike is mostly preassembled, your odds of receiving a quality bike from the manufacturer is much better than receiving one assembled at your local store. The bike is solid, weighs about 70 lbs. with ONE battery pack, and works fairly reliably. This bike's power comes from a 24v 450W, brushed motor driven by 2 12V SLA batteries wired in series in each case. Each battery pack will normally transport you about 10 miles in a wind speed of about 20mph if you assist by peddling, but the pack will be drained beyond recommendations for a SLA. Consider a range of 7-8 miles the limit for each pack if you drain them to about 1/4 capacity, or 3/4s of their full charge. For the price, the bike is worth it, but only you can say for sure and remember, YMMV. Good luck.
Good info. Thanks.

I wonder why the bike weighs 70 lbs? Is the battery and motor/drive that heavy? I am thinking that the total battery+Motor/drive+drive-train hardware can't be more than say 20 lbs. That leaves 50 lbs for the bike. HEAVY.

You would think that they could pare it down a bit to save weight and improve efficiency. Even if they kept the low-cost Chinese steel bike construction, they should be able to knock off at least 10 to 15 lbs.
Old 04-11-08, 11:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mike,

The bike is heavy, but it's pretty solid to accommodate the additional weight of the electrical system, e.g. the size of spokes, rims, etc. BTW, if I get a chance to measure the current voltage on the fully charged battery pack ( I don't know if I'll be permitted to open the pack to test each battery separately), it might help to give one an indication of their possible lifespan. From my understanding, the batteries (an additional pack was purchased later) have been well maintained, i.e. never left more than 3 hours in a semi-discharged state including the time on the bike. The original battery pack will be about 5 months old and the newer one about 3 months old. I'll try to get the tests done by next week. I suspect that one could commute on this heavier (80+ lbs with both packs) beast if the distance were no more than 15 miles each way and the bike was equipped with TWO battery packs and TWO 24v chargers. At work, the rider would simply plug BOTH battery packs into an outlet at the SAME time which would prevent one of the packs remaining in a semi-discharged state while the other one charged which takes about 4 hours.

Last edited by tpreitzel; 04-11-08 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-20-08, 11:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Both battery packs measure about 27.5V * after charging and then sitting for about 3 hours before testing.

The E-Zip's rack has a tendency to bend in shipping so be prepared to do a little body work with a two foot board placed diagonally through the rack to bend it so the packs fit snug, but not too tight. Each pack needs a periodic (every week at least) examination of the electrical contacts and cleaning them with your fingernail generally suffices. Also, the bottom bracket has a tendency to loosen and it should be checked about every couple of weeks and tightened as necessary to protect the bearings. BTW, the bearings are well packed with grease from the manufacturer and with care an owner shouldn't need to worry about them for the first year of operation.

* On average, the bike has probably been ridden about every other day for about 7-8 miles over the past 6 months.

Also, the bike will probably be ridden daily throughout the summer so we're hoping that the original batteries last through September, but I doubt it. Maybe, I'll post another update around September on the condition of the bike and their batteries.

Last edited by tpreitzel; 04-21-08 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-23-08, 08:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Currie Technologies' customer service says that the rack bending is due to distributors like Wal-Mart improperly stacking the bicycles which leads to warping. Seemingly, the warehouse chaps don't understand, "This side up".

BTW, the E-Zip uses aluminum for wiring which doesn't pose a problem generally. However, the E-Zip which I bought for someone had a harness in which the wires were too short to the battery packs. Within 4 months, one connection on each side of the bike broke. Since the wires were so short (which lead to the failure), we had to buy some copper wire and solder it to the broken wire on each side in order to lengthen them and to reattach connectors. The splice was shrink wrapped and I don't foresee any problem adding copper to aluminum in this case. The bike's been running better than ever since these changes. However, Currie needs to pay a little more attention to packaging these bikes since they know that distributors won't necessarily do the right thing, and Currie needs to ensure quality control allows a harness of sufficient length in case some connectors break. The bike has been selling itself even after I mention some of the problems so it's a great value.

Last edited by tpreitzel; 04-23-08 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-29-08, 08:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whats the size of the frame?
Old 05-29-08, 12:39 PM

Bikes: eZip Trailz (given to nephew), Trek 3700 (non-e), eZip Ecoride (soon!)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had this bike for about 5 weeks and I am quite happy with it, especially considering that all other electric bikes I've seen were over $1000. I live 13.5 miles from work, and it is hilly. I am in decent shape, but on a regular bike, the trip exhausts me, I'm slow due to the hills, and I would need a shower upon getting to work. With the ebike, I still get some exercise, but I can keep my speed on the uphills over 14 or 15 mph and I don't get totally burnt out. I weigh 127 pounds, and the battery lasts 14 miles to work, with me putting in a decent effort - I am helping the motor by pedaling on the uphills enough to get tired, but not so tired that I can't bike home again. I take the battery off and charge it at work. A few times, it does seem like the battery is petering out right at the end, so based on how hilly my commute is (significantly), how much I weigh, and how much I'm willing to help the motor by pedaling (a decent amount), 14 or 15 miles is about the limit of the battery. So, in short, this is what I wanted it to do - allow me to ride to work in less than an hour (about 15 mph average), without getting totally exhausted.

My only complaints so far is that the bike is heavy (but then I knew it would be when I ordered), and also I don't find the handlebar grips to be very comfortable. They seem rough (including the shifter on the left) and not very padded. I wouldn't mind if it had one more higher gear - when I'm going downhill and the speed gets much over 20 mph, I can't really add any more speed by pedaling because the highest gear isn't high enough.

One important note - the battery charger says the charge time is 6-8 hrs, but it also says red light = charging, green light = done charging. I unplugged it when it was green, and then had the battery die on me on my commute. Turn out you need to leave it plugged in longer even after the light is green.

So, for the price, as an entry-level electric bike, I'm quite happy with it. It's a win win situation - I save gas, save the planet, get some exercise, and have fun.

I bought it in April, from Walmart, and it said 2008 model, and mine is black. I think the blue version is the MOUNTAIN Trailz Hybrid which had nubbier tires, I think. My tires are pretty smooth.
Old 05-29-08, 11:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vermontcathy
One important note - the battery charger says the charge time is 6-8 hrs, but it also says red light = charging, green light = done charging. I unplugged it when it was green, and then had the battery die on me on my commute. Turn out you need to leave it plugged in longer even after the light is green.
In our experience, 8 miles is about maximum for the battery with slight hills and good wind (20+mph). Your comments about leaving the battery on the charger after it's green is interesting, but we probably will continue to leave it on until the green light remains steady which is normally about 3 1/2 to 4 hours of recharging. We still have good voltage on the batteries, but your experience might help someone search for the absolute maximum distance from a battery pack. For a 15 mile commute, I, personally, would have TWO battery packs since I don't want to discharge the batteries over 75% which will shorten life considerably, and I try to be frugal with my money so I can help others and still carry on my work in other areas, e.g. on-board solar designs. From my experience with Currie's e-Zip, I'm thinking of buying one for myself this time. Although the e-Zip has its problems, it's a solid value and you're using it wisely, i.e. making money without spending much, getting exercise, and mainly enjoying the refreshing commute.

Last edited by tpreitzel; 05-30-08 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-30-08, 07:23 AM

Bikes: eZip Trailz (given to nephew), Trek 3700 (non-e), eZip Ecoride (soon!)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tpreitzel
In our experience, 8 miles is about maximum for the battery with slight hills and good wind (20+mph). Your comments about leaving the battery on the charger after it's green is interesting, but we probably will continue to leave it on until the green light remains steady which is normally about 3 1/2 to 4 hours of recharging.
Maybe you're right, but it's not just my imagination. I just got to work today and it was SOO much better with the battery having charged for over 6 hours, rather than 3.5 or so. It made a huge difference - I just barely noticed it getting a little weak towards the end, as opposed to two days ago when it totally crapped out and I literally walked the bike up the last hill and was exhausted. It is a pain not knowing when to unplug it, but I reviewed my high school electricity formulas, and even with it plugged in 8 hours, I think it would use less than 2 KWH which is less than 25 cents for me.

And just for the record, a lot of people talk about the distance the bike will go with just the motor - little to no pedaling, but I am pedaling a LOT. For a lot of the time, I am just putzing along in a low gear, just pedaling, at 12 mph or so. And even on hills, if it isn't too steep, I'll use the motor a little (with pedaling), then just pedal a little, etc.

Cathy
Old 05-30-08, 11:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vermontcathy
Maybe you're right, but it's not just my imagination. I just got to work today and it was SOO much better with the battery having charged for over 6 hours, rather than 3.5 or so. It made a huge difference - I just barely noticed it getting a little weak towards the end, as opposed to two days ago when it totally crapped out and I literally walked the bike up the last hill and was exhausted.

Cathy
No, you're probably right about leaving the battery on the charger longer as these low cost, "smart" chargers aren't all that smart. We haven't ruled out checking further, but you'd likely notice the reduced charge earlier than us since you have steeper hills and a longer distance to travel. If we test (possibility), we'll use your target of 7 hours on the charger as a baseline.

Last edited by tpreitzel; 05-30-08 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-30-08, 08:55 PM
Not A Senior Member

Bikes: 2007 Jamis Dakar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am seriously considering this bike. One question if you please:

Do you think I can change over the drivetrain over to another frame? I have my full suspension wal-mart special and was hoping I could use that....

I know there are other issues, like location of other components, etc. I am not affraid of fabbing a couple mounts, etc.

I just want to know is this system integrated into the chassis, or mostly removable?

Great info here, thank you all for contributing so noobs like me can make an educated decision!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.