Search this Thread

Old 11-02-07, 02:23 PM

Bikes: Old 12-speed commuter, When I earn enough I'll get a fixed KHS flite 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still call Australia home

Oh my, its good to be back on these bikeforums, and its good to be going back to Australia in a month.

I am a 19 year old boy who spends all his days in Australia riding around town, to the mall, to here and there and everywhere. Me and my trusty sora-geared road bike go everywhere in the melbourne south eastern suburbs. Problem is I've been away on a GAP year in Israel after finishing VCE. This is a country with a lot happening, but it is a country where no one rides bicycles, and more importantly no one single road was designed for bicycles. It is a country dominated by cars, and for the last 7 months of my 10 month trip, my one wish, my greatest desire is to hop on my trusty bike and ride around in the suburbs.

I know I'm preaching to the converted, but Australia is a wonderful place, and it took me a year-long trip to another country to realise this. Australia is a place where people truly live for play. Maybe its that we're so far dislocated from the rest of the world and its major problems. In fairness, Israel is surrounded by hostile arab states. From what I've seen in comparison, Australians work much less hours, they spend a lot of time outdoors and love their sport, and they are on the whole more relaxed and more patient.

This post has probably been a bit random and all over the place, but I just wanted to tell about how I feel about Australia after 9 months in a foreign country, it is definitely the lucky country.
Old 11-02-07, 03:19 PM
Studs Terkel

Bikes: Pinarello Paris; Avanti Blade Comp; Tommasini X-Fire; Merckx San Remo 76.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 'Lucky Country' doesn't mean what you think it does.
Old 11-02-07, 04:41 PM
Thor's dad

Bikes: 2006 Trek 5200, Avanti Corsa Pro, Giant Yukon, Ricardo Cro-Mo, 1992 Mongoose pro-comp, 1980 DiamondBack senior pro, 1980 Quicksilver... half a dozen other BMX bikes in various stages of completion.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny_Monkey
The 'Lucky Country' doesn't mean what you think it does.
Yeah, lucky to have stumbled to its feet instead of fallen on its arse...

Good on you for getting out and experiencing different places. Most head straight for London.
Old 11-02-07, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Odin
Yeah, lucky to have stumbled to its feet instead of fallen on its arse...

Good on you for getting out and experiencing different places. Most head straight for London.
Agreed on the first point... and an arse fall is still not out of the question.

London was never my first choice as an overseas destination. I was surprised when I finally got there that it was OK, but the cost of living was so exorbitant that anyone contemplating moving there had better have a good bank balance.

The one thing London and Europe and in fact most other parts of that part of the world and Asia is a cultural heritage. Australia has studiously destroyed or dismantled pre-European heritage, and while we can easily "live" post-European history, it still doesn't measure up to pubs and castles built eons ago.

Anyway, welcome back to Australia. It's the wide open spaces and sparseness of population that really sets Australia apart from everywhere else I have been.
Old 02-12-08, 01:08 AM

Bikes: GT Outpost

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So what was the first thing you did upon returning to our southern shores?