Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Track Sizing

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-07, 08:27 AM
IRL Banhammer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Track Sizing

So I want to do some track racing, maybe some local 'around the block' type fixed races. Not looking for a commuter bike, so the geometry can be steep, but also have a budget.

Right now I ride a '99 Trek 2500 54cm, with a 54.5 TT. I've noticed that other frames in the equivalent size have a much shorter TT length, whether or not they're compact. For example, the Trek T1 in 54 has a 53.6 TT, while the 56 has a 54.3 TT, much closer to the TT length I ride now. My actual inseam is 32"

For other information, I ride with a 120mm Ritchey WCS 4-axis stem (in case you were curious of the +/- degree), and WCS bars (if you were wondering the total reach). I have found this pretty comfortable. Would not like to go below a 100mm stem for the bike I end up getting.

Not so much specifically for me, but how should sizing go? Same as road? I saw a thread where people suggested same or even smaller (depending on your riding type) sizes, but never 'bigger'
Old 11-05-07, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I ride pretty much the same size as road. Totally different frames now though-- my road bike is traditional big triangle and the track bike is compact. The measurements to where I connect to it are pretty much the same.
Old 11-05-07, 12:34 PM

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In the past I went 1cm shorter in the top tube for a track sprint bike. I'd stay the same for a points bike. You could just move the seat forward to decrease the reach.