Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

WATERPROOF over shoe / shoe cover. do they exist?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-07, 12:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I am currently touring the globe.
I need a WATERPROOF shoe cover/over shoe.
It seems that no matter where I look online for bicycle shoe covers, there is little mention of waterproofness, but more about windproof!
I have a pair of neoprene overshoes and to be honest they are terrible, so I have no interest in buying another pair. neoprene is like a sponge after 4-5 hours in the rain. I ended up using plastic bags and cling film and duct tape with the neoprene overshoes. but this became a chore, so i am looking for a simple solution.

I was thinking of lining the inside of the neoprene overshoes with a waterproof material, but then i found these:

NEOS Villager

Gore Bike Wear MTB III

Campmor shoe-cover

Mec.ca shoe-cover

I really like the NEOS villagers, because they seem to be the ultimate waterproof, and they would be perect in camp, in muddy wet conditions. i don't mind sacrificing the spd clips during rain. but is 1.6lbs too heavy? would it be cumbersome to cycle with the NEOS villagers?

Basically the above are a selection of what i found to be a possible option.

Please give me you opinions and possible suggestions for a waterproof cover.

i dont care about sweat build up. i am more concerned about the short showers and huge rain that soaks you in seconds, in environments where you cannot dry out within a few hours.

in my opinion wet shoes is the worst part of a touring trip.

i already know about the sandals option. but i am interested in a shoe cover.

Last edited by Collie; 11-07-07 at 01:04 AM.
Old 11-07-07, 02:08 AM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have the MEC, but mostly use bags. I can see where you would be unhappy with bags on an ongoing basis. I like sandals and would try gortex sock with them. Due to an ankle injury I can't actually fit Gortex socks, but that would be my next best bet. My problem with overboots is they are bulky, and they aren't really designed to be walked in as much as your use would require. I used to make my own overboots for X-country sky boots, but there one could count on leaving them on all the time when touring.
Old 11-07-07, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do yourself a favor and avoid the campmor ones. They might work okay, but are so awkward that they should be avoided.
Old 11-07-07, 09:04 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use the MEC covers. I like them a lot. They fit over my size 14 gunboats. They don't go over the soles of my shoes, so I can walk in them normally (although with a little bit of schlumping.) They keep my feet dry. They're quick and easy to put on. They were the perfect solution for me. The only negative was that the shipping from Canada was a bit much, so it turned into an expensive purchase. But I think it was well worth it.
Old 11-07-07, 11:55 AM
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
You can be assured that any product labeled "water resistant" will leak in a steady rain. The Gore shoe cover only claims to have a "water resistant sole", not the upper. It's made from windstopper material and has a zipper, so it's going to get your feet wet.

I would be less concerned about keeping your feet dry, and more concerned with keeping the warm. No matter what you buy, you can be assured that something will ultimately go wrong and your feet will get wet. And once they get wet, they'll stay wet the rest of the day. Wet feet while riding are fine so long as you can keep them warm.
Old 11-07-07, 12:04 PM
mountain troll

Bikes: the hummer brand mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my neoprene shoe covers turn into aquariums after 1 hour pedaling in the rain... bogus!
Old 11-07-07, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
I've never had any luck keeping my feet dry in a real downpour, but neoprene covers do pretty well at keeping them warm. Anything windproof is a big help in the warmth department, so most covers will help.

Your choice of shoes and socks can go a long way toward keeping you comfortable when wet. Some combinations feel wetter and take longer to dry than others.

Something else should be mentioned... Fenders will help keep your feet much less wet since often the bulk of the water comes from the front tire.
Old 11-07-07, 12:28 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's a waterproof overshoe that i bought in Germany. They are kind of a pain to put on, so I might just go with the gore-tex socks instead.

Or another option, you could just get some gore tex spd touring shoes and forget about the covers. When it rains tho, I still need to throw on some gators.
Old 11-07-07, 12:37 PM

Bikes: 2004 Trek 4300, 2008 Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...p&feat=9992-tn
Old 11-07-07, 12:42 PM

Bikes: Gardin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the MEC ones and they are great. Regrettably, they don't fit over my latest MTB shoes. :/

I now use these Endura ones, which are good but more of a pain to get on and off.

Endura MTB Neoprene Overshoes

Last edited by Lolly Pop; 11-07-07 at 12:45 PM. Reason: adding to post
Old 11-07-07, 02:21 PM
Soma Lover

Bikes: one bike for every day of the week

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sugoi Resistors have held up well in the rain for me.

https://www.rei.com/product/725342

I live in a desert though, and when they forecast 4-5 hours of rain it often means a tenth of an inch or so. They didn't let a drop through after about 1-1/2 hours in a 0.25" storm when I rode a loop of around Richmond (that's Richmond, Utah) in the rain. I haven't had them for long though so I can't comment on their durability. They're also not the pair I use in extreme cold. Once it's below about 35F, I'm no longer willing to ride in the rain.
Old 11-07-07, 02:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also like the Sugoi Resistors so far.
Old 11-07-07, 06:54 PM

Bikes: Custom built tourer, custom electric bike, beaters everywhere

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Okay, I've got a pair of MECs and there are fine in a downpour, but when the rain turns to snow or slush, it gets up from the bottom which is open. I've since graduated to waterproof shoes and boots. They are not cheap, but once worn-in are incredible comfortable in 3 seasons (not summer).

There are lots of brands around. My first was a Rockport called Rocksport made in Portugal. They lasted almost for ever, but they can't be re-soled, so the next I bought was from Black's in England. I think they are made in Romania, although the salesperson insisted they were made in England. They have really high gussets around the tongue, so you can step into deep puddles and still stay dry. I've still got them and they are still waterproof in 4 seasons. I also have a pair from MEC that have a scuff cover on the toe. It's a good idea because I always manage to scuff the toe.

One thing the last two share is the same German made sole called a Vibram. They are so good they are almost dangerous until you get used to gripping to almost anything.

One last thing, I was in an outlet store on the weekend and saw an almost exact knock-off, even with the Vibram brand on the sole. I picked one up and it weighed almost nothing. Good boots are heavy.

I'm a little off topic, but I'd rather have a good boot than a wimpy cover.
Old 11-08-07, 02:34 AM

Bikes: Caygill Road Bike, Orange P7 mtn bike, old rigid GT Karakarom mtn bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any overshoes are going to be at the est water resistant. I'm using overshoes for riding in the UK now, as my cycling shoes are lightweight and well ventilated and hence my feet get cold in the winter months.
I'll not be taking these for touring in central america next month though.

Instead for waterproofness, I'd recommend these sealskinz waterproof socks:- https://www.wiggle.co.uk/CategoryProd...0Ankle%20Socks
Old 11-08-07, 04:26 AM
gnz
Being there, doing that

Bikes: Avanti Pioneer Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been cycling in Wales in very wet conditions with my shimano sandals! using the sealskins wp socks and they have held the rain surprisingly well. The last time after some 4 hours of constantly wet contitions they did start to feel a bit wet inside though.
Old 11-08-07, 04:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok lads,

thanks for the input. keep it coming. since i am on a break for a few weeks, i have been cycling around the markets in south korea. today i picked up some nice waterproof material. i'm gonna have an attempt at cutting a mold of the neoprene booties that i have and get it stitched and glued to the neoprene booties as an experiment!
as cool as all the overshoes are, that are on the market, i can't justify spending a large amount (when you include the time/delivery to south korea) on another semi-waterproof/still gonna get wet overshoe.
i shall update you with a pic or two if my diy job works out ok!