Old 11-07-07, 09:55 PM
Tony V

Bikes: Apollo Mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cycling in Greece

I hope to be going to Greece for a few weeks in about six months time.Does anybody out there know if there is a cycling culture out there? I'm from OZ.
Old 11-12-07, 04:38 PM
3 summits of Athens

Bikes: SCOTT AFD/KLEIN MANTRA/BMC SSX Streetfire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony V
I hope to be going to Greece for a few weeks in about six months time.Does anybody out there know if there is a cycling culture out there? I'm from OZ.
not many cyclists on greek roads and certainly not a bike culture but you'll be respected by most motorists and you won't face rude or offensive behaviour. Greek drivers tend to verbaly or physically assault each other thank god.. Don't expect any cycle lanes anywhere but expect a very mild winter and many warm sunny days to ride esp. on central mainland and on the aegean islands. April and May are excellent times to ride just before it gets too hot. If you'll stay in athens you will enjoy excellent climbs on 1000m alt summits at the city periphery, very safe and try exciting night climbs too. Don't ride in city traffic it's an ordeal to the novice
Old 11-12-07, 05:02 PM
philip4703

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I just got back from 4 weeks in Athens. The pollution & traffic are horrendous in the city but there is good climbing to be had nearby. However, getting out of the city safely can be a major problem depending on where you're staying...the best way is via subway however not all the subway lines allow bicycles and it's only during certain times. Another problem is the stray dogs. They'll either lie in the middle of the street where you least expect them or try to bite as you ride by.

Old 02-06-08, 08:58 PM
FSU Bulldogs Red Wave

Bikes: Bottecchia, Rocky Mountain, TREK, Bridgestone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Born and raised there, I hate to say anything bad about my homeland. However, I don't think the country is very cycling friendly. There are a lot of bikes around, for sure, but not like here (in SoCal). Athens is definitely worse than the rest of the country, and the rural areas can be challenging.
Whatever you do, don't challenge or try to assert your 'right of way', especially in the city...also, wear a helmet if it's the only cycling-related apparel you wear.
If you tour, the locals will simply be fascinated by the 'craziness' of going everywhere on a bike.
Old 02-12-08, 05:15 PM

Bikes: Loads of Marin's Favourite, My Wolfridge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cyprus is part of Greece!!

Yeh, come visit us in Cyprus if you like pomms!
Old 03-19-08, 01:20 AM
Tony V

Bikes: Apollo Mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gekko
Yeh, come visit us in Cyprus if you like pomms!
No, not really !