Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

English thread freewheel to fit Italian thread hub?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-10-07, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I just purchased a NOS freewheel style Mavic 550RD rear hub sight unseen which the seller claimed had English threads. It turns out that they are actually Italian thread 35mmX24 tpi. Will I be able to fit a normal English thread Shimano freewheel onto the hub? I haven't tried because I want to be able to give it back without scratches for a refund if it doesn't fit.
Old 11-10-07, 08:14 AM
nowheels

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
No....

Old 11-10-07, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Sheldon says the only difference is the thread pitch, and it will work. But once you do that, it seems you shouldn't go back and forth between English and Italian threaded freewheels. Look in Sheldon's glossary under "Italian," he discusses it there.
Old 11-10-07, 08:38 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by well biked
Sheldon says the only difference is the thread pitch, and it will work. But once you do that, it seems you shouldn't go back and forth between English and Italian threaded freewheels. Look in Sheldon's glossary under "Italian," he discusses it there.
The difference isn't exactly the thread pitch (i.e. the number of threads per inch) which is the same, but the thread form. English threads have a 60° included angle while the Italian threads are 55°. As noted they will work with each other but once you make the change, stick with the new thread form.
Old 11-10-07, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
The difference isn't exactly the thread pitch (i.e. the number of threads per inch) which is the same, but the thread form. English threads have a 60° included angle while the Italian threads are 55°. As noted they will work with each other but once you make the change, stick with the new thread form.

Ah, I was confusing pitch with angle, thanks. For the record, Sheldon didn't say pitch, he said angle.
Old 11-10-07, 09:09 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great advice!

Thanks for the advice. I checked out Sheldon Brown's glossary, and he adds that since Italian freewheels are basically extinct, the issue is moot there. After hearing from you, I greased the threads and slipped on the freewheel-- it fits no problem. You're the best!
Old 11-10-07, 09:18 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks

Right, thanks. Btw, for anyone else interested in this issue, I found the following on CampyOldy.com:
Will a freewheel fit English/BSC and Italian thread hubs?

It is my personal opinion that if any freewheel will screw on the intended hub using only your fingers then it is satisfactory. There are 25.4mm = 1”. Italian hub thread is 35mm diameter. English is 1.370; multiply that by 25.4 = 34.798mm. Both are 24 teeth per inch.