Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Chicago Triathlon

Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Chicago Triathlon

Old 08-28-03, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Chicago Triathlon

Thought I'd repost this one- the results of Mrs. T's (new name, but hey, we all know it's still Mrs. T's!!). I went for a bit and cheered on the people in the cycling event, and it was a fun time- standing on Lake Shore Drive and yelling and taking pictures and all. I'll post the story, then the pictures.

Title defense a struggle for Lindquist
Swim saps energy; Walton repeats as men's champ

By Ed Cavanaugh
Tribune staff reporter
Published August 25, 2003

Throughout Sunday's 21st annual Chicago Triathlon, the world's top female pro, Barb Lindquist, felt like she just didn't have it all together.

"I actually didn't feel that good at all," she said. "It was kind of a struggle. I thought I'd be able to come in and feel really strong and just be able to cruise. But that wasn't the case."

No matter, Lindquist's charmed season continued. The native of Victor, Idaho, pounded out her 10th win in 11 tries to defend her title at the Chicago Triathlon. Lindquist bounded out to a 52-second lead after the first portion of the race, a 1.5-kilometer swim in Monroe Harbor, and held off a charging Nicole DeBoom in the ensuing 40K bike ride and 10K run.

"The swim really kind of took it out of me," said Lindquist, who finished in 2 hours 1 minute 1 second, 2:21 slower than her time last year.

"I think I might've gone out a little too fast and it set me back. I didn't feel that good on the bike."

But Lindquist revealed her finishing secret: At 34, she's getting faster.

"I don't train harder, I train smarter," she said. "You have a little more rest with a very structured program. Your body gets faster when you rest, especially the older you get."

Craig Walton repeated as men's pro champion, even though success has largely escaped him this season. After eight victories a year ago, the 27-year-old has only three in 2003.

"I have had a bit of an unlucky season this year," said Walton, who has been nursing a foot injury that has impeded his training.

But for the second year in a row, Walton led the whole way. The Australian extended his 51-second lead after the swim to 2:03 after the bike transition. He finished in 1:47:07.

"When you have that sort of lead, something amazing has to happen for you to lose the race," Walton said.

Simon Lessing, a South African who hadn't competed in Chicago since he won the event in 1994, was second in 1:48.56.

Huge crowds lined the race route along the lakefront and the finish at Columbus and Balbo Drives. They cheered the more than 7,000 participants, including amateurs and pros, in the world's largest triathlon.

DeBoom, the women's pro second-place finisher in 2:02:42, is a 1990 graduate of Downers Grove South. She said the hometown crowd spurred her success.

"All these people on the course were calling me out by my maiden name [Molzahn]," the Colorado resident said. "So I felt really good and really supported out there. It kind of feels like I'm home, even though I don't live here anymore."

Copyright © 2003, Chicago Tribune

Old 08-28-03, 09:19 PM

Ok, they're a little blurry, but still... better than nothing!

Old 08-28-03, 09:20 PM

Old 08-28-03, 09:21 PM

Old 08-28-03, 09:21 PM