Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

100mm Reba Team shrank to 80mm ???

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-07, 04:39 PM
Amish Warrior

Bikes: '05 Santa Cruz Chameleon, '06 Voodoo Erzulie SS, '87 Schwinn LeTour Fixie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently purchased a RockShox Reba Team fork. I believe it's a 2007, and it was new in the box. The travel was set at 100mm when I installed it. After the first ride, I can clearly see my travel has shrunk to 80mm! I have a pic of the bike before the first ride, and the difference is obvious. What the??? The fork seems to function fine, but this is confusing me...

This fork came with a loose negative air stem core, which caused me some headaches. Now this happens. I'm quickly losing confidence in RockShox...
Old 11-11-07, 05:12 PM
Bicycle Rider & Mechanic

Bikes: Superlight, Dragon Team, Eclipse, Om Flyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like it's leaking air.

I'd have it checked out at the lbs, or send it to sram.
Old 11-11-07, 05:32 PM
Amish Warrior

Bikes: '05 Santa Cruz Chameleon, '06 Voodoo Erzulie SS, '87 Schwinn LeTour Fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I checked the air pressure and it's the same as it was before the ride. It doesn't appear to have lost air.
Old 11-11-07, 06:42 PM
Svr

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like the air in the positive air chamber is seeping in to the negative chamber. You could remove the positive air cap and see if the proper amount of oil is in there.

If this oil is missing, adding the right amount will probably solve your problem.

How many rides/hours are on this fork?
Old 11-11-07, 08:17 PM
Amish Warrior

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only one ride, about 3 hours. I wonder though, if air from the positive chamber is leaking into the negative chamber, wouldn't I be able to determine that from the pressure reading on my shock pump? Both chambers show the same lbs. as before the ride. If it's the problem you suggest, wouldn't the negative chamber show an increase in pressure and vice versa? Maybe there's an explanation for that as well?

Now I'm thinking it's possible the shock was originally set for 80mm, but needed to settle? The shop I bought it from had it listed as 100mm, but maybe they know not. I've read that new shocks need to "settle." Not sure though. I'm befuddled~

I'll check the oil level though, per your diagnosis. Thanks~

Last edited by andrefulci; 11-11-07 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-11-07, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by andrefulci
I'm quickly losing confidence in RockShox...
I lost confidence in them when they came out with the SID several years ago, most overpriced piece of junk I've ever seen.

But back to the point, I would suggest you put a zip tie around one of the stanchions, near the dust seal, and then after a hard ride measure how far the zip tie has moved from the dust seal. That will show how much travel you're actually using.

Another thought, since you say the fork seems to be visibly different than it was before: is this a fork that has adjustable travel? If so, maybe you've decreased the travel without realizing it-

Last edited by well biked; 11-11-07 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-11-07, 10:03 PM
Svr

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andrefulci
Only one ride, about 3 hours. I wonder though, if air from the positive chamber is leaking into the negative chamber, wouldn't I be able to determine that from the pressure reading on my shock pump? Both chambers show the same lbs. as before the ride. If it's the problem you suggest, wouldn't the negative chamber show an increase in pressure and vice versa? Maybe there's an explanation for that as well?
Not necessarily.

If the seal is bad (or the oil is missing) the pressure between the positive and negative will equalize. Because the negative chamber has a relatively small volume when the fork is topped out, the pressure reading will drop quite a bit as the air pump is connected as air must fill it for the gauge to read.

Still, have your fork checked out. It's still under warranty.
Old 11-11-07, 10:49 PM
Amish Warrior

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For Well Biked - It's not a U-Turn, so that's not the case. Thanks anyway. I have a 2005 coil U-Turn Pike on my other bike and it's worked amazingly well despite the abuse I've put it through, so I figured I could trust the Reba. Now I'm wondering if I should've bought a Fox Talas.

Thanks Svr. I'm riding tomorrow so we'll see if it gets any worse. I hate to send it off so quickly after just finishing the build, but if that's what it comes down to... so be it.

Anyone know an LBS in Sacramento that's an authorized RockShox service center? Their website's no help.