Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

rock shox help

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

rock shox help

Old 11-11-07, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rock shox help

i have a pair of rock shox forks they have a valve at the top of each bar its the same valve like on car wheel but when i try pumping up with a foot pump the air comes out as i remove the pump head do i need the proper rock shox pump
Old 11-11-07, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
The RockShox air forks I've used required very high pressures. I definitely needed a shock pump to air them up, but not necessarily a RockShox brand pump. The valve you're talking about is called a Schraeder valve.

Writing without capitalization and punctuation makes it more difficult than it should be to interpret what you mean. Why not make at least some effort to do it right?
Old 11-11-07, 07:51 PM
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
You need a shock pump. Shock pumps are low volume, high pressure pumps that will let you accurately attain the needed pressure. They also have an O-ring that seals around the valve body and prevents air from escaping as you unscrew the pump from the valve.
Old 11-11-07, 08:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok Thanx i will have to get one then. Wonderd why the foot pump did not work.
Old 11-11-07, 08:12 PM
Amish Warrior

Bikes: '05 Santa Cruz Chameleon, '06 Voodoo Erzulie SS, '87 Schwinn LeTour Fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently purchased a RockShox Reba. The negative air stem came with a loose core and I lost air pressure every time I removed my shock pump. You should try tightening the valve core. You can buy the little "tool" you need at any auto parts store for about $1-$2. And yes, buy a shock pump. Check out this link for pictures and more info on schrader valves.

https://www.geocities.com/cyqlist/valve.html