Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Deep Vs 1,000 miles in

Old 11-13-07, 08:29 AM

Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Deep Vs 1,000 miles in

Thought I'd share, as many of us have talked about wheel challenges...and I've been through my share.

By way of background, I'm around 6'4 / 230, and often use the bike to commute (38 miles round trip). So, between me, 2 water bottles, the bike and a bag that includes the laptop, weights can push 270. I'm pretty strong, and have been known to pop wheels out of true when standing to climb, which I do a lot. Bike is a kona JTS, and I have the deep vs as summer / distance wheels. I go through chains every 800 miles, and have in the past broken several spokes, a rim,bent a chaingring and destroyed 2 bottom brackets.

The wheels were handbuilt by SpinLite, and I'm running 36h in the back and 28 in the front, on Ultegra hubs. I clean them when I clean the rest of the bike, and have ridden them in the rain and on dirt trails (hey, it's a cross bike). I'm running 700x28 conti ultra gatorskins. Other than that, I've got reflective tape on the V section to make me more visible at night. I did not have them re-tensioned after 100 miles, as they didn't need it. They are also the first new wheels I've ever had that didn't "pop" when i first rode them.

After 1,000 miles, I figured I'd put the stock wheels back on the bike (wanted more grip on the wet leaves that the 38s on there afford) and bring the wheels to a local wheel builder who has a great reputation. I went by to pick them up last night. His assessment -- perfectly true, in great shape. He upped the tension on the front a little, but that was it.

Getting these has in a way "saved" cycling for me. I used to be tentative, and always look back after a bump or a climb to see how my wheels were. It was no fun, and it actually led me to not ride at times.

These are the stiffest and strongest wheels I've ever ridden, and I've stopped worrying about them. They are heavy, but I kind of like the way they carry momentum. I can't overstate the difference this has made, and the value of a quality hand-build using good parts (rims, spokes, nipples and hubs).
Old 11-13-07, 10:48 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Great and may I say. "told you so!" I have been prechin' Deep V for years to all my clyde friends. If even only on the rear. Some ave given up cycling as a result of failing wheels. But for some silly reason, they aren't willing to try the V. I can't understand why heavy guys insist on the cool looking lite stuff. I'm out to ride rather than to flash the cool factor.

I'm glad you took them to a good rep wheel dude that retensioned them for you. 100 miles is early, I've always done it at 400 or so, 1000 is great! One of the biggest problems is that riders don't take them back for a retension, glad you did. I have about 10,000 on the wheel I built with ZERO problems now and I run 23 Continentals.

Isn't it heaven to ride your bike without the thought of sucky wheels in the back of your mind?
Old 11-13-07, 07:02 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am glad to hear this as I have ordered Deep Vs with ultegra hubs for my Cannondale. I cant wait! Especially, since I have broken two spokes so far.....
Old 11-13-07, 08:38 PM
Man, Myth, Legend,Bigfoot

Bikes: 09` Motobecane Cx - 07` Dawes LT1000 - 82` Trek 412

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
100+ on the Deep V's ..I ordered mine after popping spokes constantly and
they have been a dream ever since. I followed Mr.Beans advice too..haha
Old 11-13-07, 10:48 PM

Bikes: Roubaix S-Works SL2, Redline Conquest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've also been eyeing a pair of Velocity Deep V's on Ultegra hubs from a local wheel builder. I've also heard the the DT Swiss 1.1 is as strong as the Velocity Deep V, but just a little lighter. I don't usually worry too much about saving weight, except for possibly rotating wieght. Any thoughts?
Old 11-13-07, 10:54 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Well, the rotational weight, on a long steady pace ride is actually an advantage. Flywheel effect.....less energy required to maintain the pace. As to the sprint? A Clyde can generate a tremendous amount of torque and the few grams saved have little effect.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 11-13-07, 10:59 PM

Bikes: Roubaix S-Works SL2, Redline Conquest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, so after coming up to speed the extra rotational weight is an advantage? Good point. What about climbing? Advantage, disadvantage or negligable?
Old 11-13-07, 11:05 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Originally Posted by Daveyboy
OK, so after coming up to speed the extra rotational weight is an advantage? Good point. What about climbing? Advantage, disadvantage or negligable?
Negligible.

Old 11-14-07, 08:00 AM

Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like everyhting, it's a trade-off.

I did a lot of research, and had open pros for a while...which i couldn't keep trued.

Deep Vs have been really quite extraordinary so far (no tension needed on the rears after 1,000 miles), and there seem to be plenty here with the same experience. I think the DT Swiss is simply much rarer, so there's not much experience with them. But I can tell you that a wheel you don't worry about is a truly great thing.
Old 11-14-07, 10:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, help a novice here.

Are deep v's a brand or the name of a type/design, that spans different manufacturers? And if the later, which of the brands of rims seem best? Appreciate your patience here with a possibly stupid question.
Old 11-14-07, 10:03 PM

Deep V's are a type and a Brand, from Velocity. There are other names for the type of rim, but the Velocity seems to be the best for the $$.

Old 11-15-07, 12:43 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Glad to hear it - I'm pulling the trigger on those soon too

It's the year of the enema!
Old 11-15-07, 02:52 AM
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have an old set of ultegra/mavic cxp30s that are deep section rims. Unfortunately they're 9spd or I'd be riding them because they're way better than the Bontrager Race wheels that came with my Lemond, the rear failing at 6000 miles.

At any rate, Trek finally sent me a new rear wheel, replaced the chain and cassette, and I can ride again.

Cannondale also sent me a replacement frameset (see below) after about a year of bickering with them.

It feels like Christmas. Except that it is about to snow up here in North Dakota and that means no more riding for me.

But I will be down in Texas after Christmas so I will be back on the bike soon!
Old 11-15-07, 05:44 AM

Are they 10 speed compatible? Have you looked into conversion?
Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001
I have an old set of ultegra/mavic cxp30s that are deep section rims. Unfortunately they're 9spd or I'd be riding them because they're way better than the Bontrager Race wheels that came with my Lemond, the rear failing at 6000 miles.

At any rate, Trek finally sent me a new rear wheel, replaced the chain and cassette, and I can ride again.

Cannondale also sent me a replacement frameset (see below) after about a year of bickering with them.

It feels like Christmas. Except that it is about to snow up here in North Dakota and that means no more riding for me.

But I will be down in Texas after Christmas so I will be back on the bike soon!

Old 11-15-07, 07:49 AM
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
Are they 10 speed compatible? Have you looked into conversion?
Tom, I know you asked this already knowing the answer. All 9 speed hubs will accept a 10 speed cluster with the addition of the 1mm spacer. Its 10 speed specific hubs that will not accept a 9 speed cassette because the splines are taller.
Old 11-15-07, 09:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did anyone buy them prebuilt online (say, with an Ultegra hub)? I'm thinking of taking advantage of the Cnd. dollar and maybe investing, but need a good source.
Old 11-15-07, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by WheresWaldo
Tom, I know you asked this already knowing the answer. All 9 speed hubs will accept a 10 speed cluster with the addition of the 1mm spacer. Its 10 speed specific hubs that will not accept a 9 speed cassette because the splines are taller.
Actually, I couldn't remember which way it worked .

Since that's the case, Viking, why not convert them

Old 11-15-07, 10:44 AM
Hip to the Game.

Bikes: Kona Lava Dome, Kapu 853

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good to hear these are durable rims.

FWIW, I had a set of old (late '90's?) Mavic Cosmic Expert (the all-silver version), 18-hole front and 20-hole rear.

My riding weight varied from 210 lbs to 240+ during the time I had these wheels. Never once did I have the slightest problem or hiccup from the wheels. Then I ran over them following a groggy early-morning ride...

I thought I could get a similar product from a Ritchey 20-spoke hub/rim, but the rim just isn't strong enough. I was having to true them after nearly every ride. Those will now go to the wife. She's half my size.

I'm now on a set of Zipp/Velocity Deep-V's (20F/28R) and I'm very happy after my first few rides. The hubs are smooooooooooooooooooooooth as buttah, and no rim stength issues at all.
Old 11-15-07, 04:15 PM
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Since that's the case, Viking, why not convert them
If I did, I wouldn't have a nine speed wheelset for my commuter, otherwise I'd gladly swap them for the time being.

My plan is to destroy this new Bontrager wheel (it should last me season) and then upgrade once I have more money. Right now funds are pretty tight.
Old 11-15-07, 04:18 PM
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bcart1991
FWIW, I had a set of old (late '90's?) Mavic Cosmic Expert (the all-silver version), 18-hole front and 20-hole rear.

My riding weight varied from 210 lbs to 240+ during the time I had these wheels. Never once did I have the slightest problem or hiccup from the wheels. Then I ran over them following a groggy early-morning ride...
Those Cosmics were very nice. I always wanted a set but I couldn't justify the upgrade from my cxp30/ultegras.
Old 11-15-07, 07:22 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 996 Posts
Originally Posted by adrien
The wheels were handbuilt by SpinLite, and I'm running 36h in the back and 28 in the front, on Ultegra hubs. .
How long did SpinLite take to get them built and to you?

Old 11-16-07, 05:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
How long did SpinLite take to get them built and to you?
as i recall, i think it was about a week
Old 11-16-07, 06:55 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 996 Posts
Thanks.

Old 11-16-07, 09:42 AM

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I love my deep V's but have been a little more love for my DT Swiss RR 1.1's. They have the same lateral and overall stiffness as the deep V's but weigh 100 grams less per rim.. Coupled with my american Class rear hub and Chris King Front hub at 36h, make for a great wheelset..

The new AC hubs only go up to 32 hole, but the high flange makes for a solid build and they are very lightweight.. https://www.amclassic.com/rd_205_s.html

I also have a handful of Open Pro's and the Deep V's and DT Swiss have a more solid feel on the road..
Old 11-16-07, 12:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, the rotational weight, on a long steady pace ride is actually an advantage. Flywheel effect.....less energy required to maintain the pace. As to the sprint? A Clyde can generate a tremendous amount of torque and the few grams saved have little effect.
This is not true. Look at it from an energy balance persepctive and you will see.

I wanted a strong wheelset so I got the Velocity Fusions withe 32/36 spokes. Lighter than the Deep Vs, but extremely strong!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.