Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Arghh...Mezzo Capreo hub disaster nonsense

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 11-15-07, 05:33 PM
To fold or not to fold?

Bikes: Mezzo, DT IXFS, Raleigh 20 (soon...)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Got myself a nice new wheel,built around a Capreo hub. Purpose being to give me a bit more high gear on my Mezzo. A nice 9 tooth high end rather than the 11 tooth on my current cassette. And a Capreo cassette, and the special Capreo lockring tool. Total cost...around £170.

Everything arrives today. I sweat buckets (and get blisters) squeezing a tyre onto the new Sun CR18 rims (evil they are - avoid), and then try to drop my new wheel in. B*llocks. ******** thing is about 4-5mm too wide. Just won't fit. Bah!

Old 11-15-07, 08:09 PM

Bikes: Early Cannondale tandem, '99 S&S Frezoni Audax, '65 Moulton Stowaway, '52 Claud Butler, TSR30, Brompton

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Remove offside spacers?
Old 11-16-07, 01:30 AM
To fold or not to fold?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LWaB
Remove offside spacers?
You sir are a genius. Well nearly. Got up bright and early, popped off the smaller spacer and it fits a treat. But...as a result of losing the wheel runs slightly further to the off side. And as a result is just soooo close to the built in fender on the Mezzo. Enough to rub my Marathons when running at lower pressures. This may stilll be heading for expensive disaster...
Old 11-16-07, 01:36 AM

Bikes: Early Cannondale tandem, '99 S&S Frezoni Audax, '65 Moulton Stowaway, '52 Claud Butler, TSR30, Brompton

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just redish the wheel to recentre the rim between the locknuts, it isn't that hard.
Old 11-16-07, 01:39 AM
To fold or not to fold?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LWaB
Just redish the wheel to recentre the rim between the locknuts, it isn't that hard.
I think I'm going to have to give up on my DIY attempts at bike mending (runs off to look up "redishing" on sheldonbrown.com...)
Old 11-16-07, 01:45 AM
To fold or not to fold?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by matt52
I think I'm going to have to give up on my DIY attempts at bike mending (runs off to look up "redishing" on sheldonbrown.com...)
Ahhh...oh...going to require prising the tyre off possibly the least helpful rims ever for that sort of thing (bending three plastic tyre levers to point of uselessness trying to get it off last night). May be time to take a trip to the LBS, which is a shame, as they are quite often as useless as me, though a fair bit more expensive.
Old 11-16-07, 06:26 AM
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

You don't need to pull the tire off the rim. Just turn the spoke nipple where it pokes out of the rim. If you aren't sure what to do take it to your LBS and let them solve the problem for you.
Old 11-16-07, 10:47 AM
To fold or not to fold?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vik

You don't need to pull the tire off the rim. Just turn the spoke nipple where it pokes out of the rim. If you aren't sure what to do take it to your LBS and let them solve the problem for you.
I'll have a go tonight. But I fear its the LBS for me. Sigh...

Thanks all for advice!
Old 10-10-08, 10:37 AM

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
does the chain clear the bottom triangle on the 9 tooth spocket ? as Mezzo Uk said that it would not to me.