Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hi from Ontario

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-07, 10:30 AM

Bikes: True North custom touring bike, small Dahon folder, ancient CCM trainer bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi from Ontario

I am a newcomer to this forum, although I have been lurking for a couple of months mostly on the Athena and over 50's forums. I am female, been riding about three years and well "over the hill" at 72! The bike is a Rocky Mountain hybrid, and most of my riding is on roads, with the odd rail trail at times. Along with a good friend I am working towards my metric century. Almost got there last fall, but spent this spring working the kinks out of my knee replacement over the winter. I will make it this spring all being well, although most of my winter riding will be on the trainer when we get icy conditions typical of this part of the world. Biking really helps me with my exercise program and weight reduction and also makes me feel better about using an environmentally friendly form of transport. My other outdoor activity is kayaking. I really like the encouragement you give newbies in the Clydesdale/Athena forums.
Liz
Old 11-20-07, 10:33 AM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Hello Liz, trust us, there is no such thing as being 'over the hill' if you are still riding a bike--especially as you are out there having had a knee replacement AND you kayak as well! Did you know that there is a kayaking thread in the C/A forum? You are not the only Athena out there who kayaks .

Welcome to BF!

East Hill
Old 11-20-07, 09:57 PM
Blasted Weeds

Bikes: Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by East Hill
Hello Liz, trust us, there is no such thing as being 'over the hill' if you are still riding a bike--especially as you are out there having had a knee replacement AND you kayak as well! Did you know that there is a kayaking thread in the C/A forum? You are not the only Athena out there who kayaks .

Welcome to BF!

East Hill
Wow!!! I didn't even catch that!

Liz - yer an awesome woman! And definitely keep it up! Luv kayaking and would love to do more (and oh yes go-carts, more white water, etc etc, etc). A bike is great for the knee - and kudos for the metric. Definitely post what you do - we're interested!!!
Old 11-20-07, 10:26 PM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
Wow! Welcome to Bike Forums! I hope to be able to cycle into my years and make this a life long committment. I think this is absolutely wonderful that you aren't letting any hills keep you down!

I hope the knee recovery is going well for you, it seems like you may be the type not to let things stop you, am I right?

You keep on cycling, Liz!
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 11-20-07, 10:32 PM
Sister Annie

Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums Liz. I hope to be still cycling when I'm in my 70s too and I've found riding a bicycle to be a great way to maintain my fitness and improve my health as well. I'm sure you'll complete that metric century and when you do we all want to hear about it.

Annie
OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Old 11-20-07, 10:41 PM
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome, Liz. It's such a pleasure to meet a bikey person who's found themselves at last.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 11-20-07, 10:46 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Liz... you rock.

Welcome to bike forums.
Old 11-21-07, 07:15 AM
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isn't "over the hill" a good thing? I mean, it means you made it up the hill. So it must be all downhill from here! And we know how much fun that can be...

Welcome!
Old 11-21-07, 07:45 PM
Beauty Everywhere

Bikes: 2006 Giant Anthem, Specialized Dolce Elite 05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to Bikeforums and its SOOO exciting to have you join us other women of all ages here!!!

Interested in the Women's Forum? Send me a PM for more information.