Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter / touring bike recommendations

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-24-07, 05:08 PM
dpr
Insect magnet.

Bikes: Trek 2008 Madone 5.5 Pro, Bianchi 2008 Axis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all, can any one recommend to me a bike or frame and fork that I could use as a winter training bike and touring bike?

Requirements:

Cheap.
Clearence for full mudguards/fenders and 32c tires.
Accepts a rear pannier rack for touring duties. A front rack would be a real bonus too but the absence of one wont be a deal killer necessarily.
Attachment points for two bottle cages. A third would be nice, but again not too important.
A front disc brake or facility for one on the fork would be very handy. Is this unusual?

In terms of bikes (as opposed to frames and forks that I would equip myself), lower end component groups would be fine. Sora, Tiagra or the Campagnolo equivilants. A compact (50/34) would be preferable to a triple and a double is certainly out as I want to multi-task the crank, not have two!. 8, 9 or 10 speed is preferable but will consider 7.

Weight isnt too important. I would hope to keep the total bike weight under 25 lbs if possible (assuming no racks installed and lighter wheels for my training rides). Of more importance is comfort and longevity. Given that I dont want to spend much more than £400/$800 USD on a frame or £800/$1600 USD on the bike, I expect I will be limited to Steel only. I don't want too mushy a bike though. Devon is hilly, as is Italy where I might be going touring next summer.

Something that had crossed my mind is a cyclo-cross frame. But which would be recommended and which will carry atleast a rear pannier rack, if not front as well?

I think that covers everything. I'll add any other stuff as I think it up.

I have also posted this in winter cycling and touring to get as much exposure as possible. I looked but couldn't find any rules prohibiting cross-posting. My reason is that some people might not read other sections of the forum regularly, it at all.

Last edited by dpr; 11-26-07 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-24-07, 08:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jamis Nova
Old 11-25-07, 03:43 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by dpr
Hi all, can any one recommend to me a bike or frame and fork that I could use as a winter training bike and touring bike?

Requirements:

Cheap.
Clearence for full mudguards/fenders and 32c tires.
Accepts a rear pannier rack for touring duties. A front rack would be a real bonus too but the absence of one wont be a deal killer necessarily.
Attachment points for two bottle cages. A third would be nice, but again not too important.
A front disc brake or facility for one on the fork would be very handy. Is this unusual?

In terms of bikes (as opposed to frames and forks that I would equip myself), lower end component groups would be fine. Sora, Tiagra or the Campagnolo equivilants. A compact (50/34) would be preferable to a triple and a double is certainly out as I want to multi-task the crank, not have two!. 8, 9 or 10 speed is preferable but will consider 7.

Weight isnt too important. I would hope to keep the total bike weight under 25 lbs if possible. Of more importance is comfort and longevity. Given that I dont want to spend much more than £400/$800 USD on a frame or £800/$1600 USD on the bike, I expect I will be limited to Steel only. I don't want too mushy a bike though. Devon is hilly, as is Italy where I might be going touring next summer.

Something that had crossed my mind is a cyclo-cross frame. But which would be recommended and which will carry atleast a rear pannier rack, if not front as well?

I think that covers everything. I'll add any other stuff as I think it up.

I have also posted this in winter cycling and touring to get as much exposure as possible. I looked but couldn't find any rules prohibiting cross-posting. My reason is that some people might not read other sections of the forum regularly, it at all.
Fuji touring, $900. Surly LHT complete from Jenson USA for $900. The LHT is a far better touring bike than the Fuji, too. Both are steel frames.

I'm not sure what the price in England would be for a Cannondale Touring Classic but if you can find one, it's going to be on the high end of your price. Comes with everything you want so you shouldn't have to spend much to get it where you want it. I'm not thrilled by the drivetrain but that can be changed. Worth a look.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-25-07, 05:28 PM
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Since you're in the UK I'd recommend you check out the Thorn stuff sold through SJS. Lots of good options there.
Old 11-25-07, 06:40 PM

Bikes: 1986 Trek road bike (steel, downtube shifters), Rockhopper mountain bike, Seven steel/Campy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Surly LHT that I've set up with fenders, lights, and rack. I have 28s but it'll take larger tires. I'm running a 50/34 compact with a 11/34 nine speed in the rear. It's very comfortable and you could probably build one up or find one for purchase for around $1200 US if you're careful and don't need top end components.
Old 11-25-07, 07:50 PM
www.markreynoldsfund.org

Bikes: 1993 Titanium Miyata Elevation 8000, Scattante XRL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I built up an older steel hybrid Specialized Crossroads frame into a pretty cool winter/commuter beater.

I have less than 500 in it total including the powdercoat job.

Please donate to the Mark Reynolds Memorial First Bike Fund at www.markreynoldsfund.org
Old 11-26-07, 01:13 PM
dpr
Insect magnet.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rodrigaj
Jamis Nova
Thanks. I took a look at the Nova Pro, Aurora and Aurora elite information on the Jamis USA website. The Aurora Elite looks promising and I have enquired to Jamis about price and shipping to the UK. It would seem they have dealers for Cyprus, Ecudor and Lithuania; but not the United Kingdom!

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Fuji touring, $900. Surly LHT complete from Jenson USA for $900. The LHT is a far better touring bike than the Fuji, too. Both are steel frames.

I'm not sure what the price in England would be for a Cannondale Touring Classic but if you can find one, it's going to be on the high end of your price. Comes with everything you want so you shouldn't have to spend much to get it where you want it. I'm not thrilled by the drivetrain but that can be changed. Worth a look.
The Fuji looks good. I have emailed the UK distributor asking about a price. The Surly is also promising. I have found a source to buy one from in the UK, but will wait to conclude my research into other models. I'll be making further enquiries to find a retailer for the Cannondale Touring Classic.

Originally Posted by marqueemoon
Since you're in the UK I'd recommend you check out the Thorn stuff sold through SJS. Lots of good options there.
Too expensive.

Originally Posted by Mudu93
I built up an older steel hybrid Specialized Crossroads frame into a pretty cool winter/commuter beater.

I have less than 500 in it total including the powdercoat job.
Getting one new looks to be unlikely / too much hassle. It seems Specialized dont offer any sort of Touring / Audax type frame. Shame.

Thank you all for the replies. Once I have some prices, Ill narrow it down to two or three bikes and start looking for personal accounts of ride characteristics, durability ect.
Old 11-26-07, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out the pages from the Adventure Cycling Guide. It has lots of great touring bikes.

https://www.adventure-cycling-guide.co.uk/bike4.htm
https://www.adventure-cycling-guide.co.uk/bike5.htm

One American company that isn't listed is Rivendell. The Atlantis is popular for touring.

James Welle
https://www.erck.org
Old 11-26-07, 01:36 PM
Rollin' road block

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dpr
It seems Specialized dont offer any sort of Touring / Audax type frame
Their new tricross frames come ready to accept racks/guards etc. A few people on the uk forums are using them for light touring/commuting
Old 11-26-07, 01:48 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dpr

Too expensive.

Getting one new looks to be unlikely / too much hassle. It seems Specialized dont offer any sort of Touring / Audax type frame. Shame.

Thank you all for the replies. Once I have some prices, Ill narrow it down to two or three bikes and start looking for personal accounts of ride characteristics, durability ect.
Not I bike I have experience of but we all know the name- DAWES. Well into Audax Bikes and I know my LBS has a couple Of Dawes Audax bikes in stock. Retail just within your upper price but a well known bike that will last. May be a bit heavy but see a lot on the open Audax events over here in Sussex.

https://www.dawescycles.com/dawes/audax-sport.htm

Spike Milligan
Old 11-29-07, 04:40 PM
dpr
Insect magnet.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you jameswelle for the websites. Some very useful info that helped clear up a few things for me.

The Specialized Tricross looks good. Thank you. Looks like Spec have considered tourers a little after all.

Theres very little information on the Dawes website, but fortunately I know of two Dawes dealers in Exeter. May go pay them a visit. Thanks.
Old 11-29-07, 04:53 PM
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about a Raleigh Sojourn? Pretty cool looking bike, seems to meet the criteria.

I had a Giant OCR Touring - it was a great all-weather bike. A little heavy. It sold on Ebay for $800.
Old 11-29-07, 05:15 PM
dpr
Insect magnet.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phantoj
How about a Raleigh Sojourn? Pretty cool looking bike, seems to meet the criteria.

I had a Giant OCR Touring - it was a great all-weather bike. A little heavy. It sold on Ebay for $800.
The Sojourn looks very interesting but I couldnt find it on the UK Rahleigh website, only that of the USA. Are they even the same company? Front and back disc brakes as standard are a particularly strong selling point. I'll make some enquiries with Rahleigh UK.

I couldn't find the Giant OCR touring on the Giant USA, UK or International websites.
Old 11-29-07, 05:34 PM
Master Surfer of Curbs

Bikes: Whats it to ya?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Surly Cross Check
Old 11-29-07, 08:44 PM
Juicy

Bikes: Waterford, Surly Long Haul Trucker,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I just bought a Surly Long Haul Trucker. I let you know how it rides.
Old 11-30-07, 10:09 AM
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dpr
I couldn't find the Giant OCR touring on the Giant USA, UK or International websites.
I forgot to mention that they only made them in '02 and '03 (i think).
Old 11-30-07, 10:33 AM
going roundy round

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Phantoj
I forgot to mention that they only made them in '02 and '03 (i think).
Giant OCR touring. That is what I'm riding now as my commuter. The Trek Portland is very similar but more expensive.
If you can find a Giant used, it will serve you well.