Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Wagons

Old 11-26-07, 11:00 AM
gwd
Biker

Bikes: one Recumbent and one Utility Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wagons

I noticed that a garden supplies shop here caters to car free people by letting them take these 4 wheeled wagons to haul shrubs and mulch and stuff home. Maybe they put a deposit on the wagon so the customer returns it. The wagons are more sturdy than the radio flyer wagons kids use. I see people with wagons loaded with stuff walking down the sidewalks in the neighborhood.
Old 11-27-07, 11:17 AM
gwd
Biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a photo of the heavy duty wagons outside the shop. This kind of thing keeps businesses in the neighborhood and serves car free people. The alternative is to rent a car and drive out to a home depot or something when you want to buy heavy stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
wagons.JPG (73.9 KB, 34 views)
Old 11-27-07, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Pike's Nursery (large chain in the south) just filed for bankruptcy and those are the same carts they use. Wonder if I can get a few for cheep.
Old 11-27-07, 07:53 PM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I am glad to see they are offering the wagons...but those are the Chinese made POS from somewhere like Home Despot. We had one and it self destructed over a years time. I prefer the ones from Lehman's Hardware...probably 3-4 times the price but well worth every penny. We have two of these on our 40 acre farm and pull them with the smaller tractor.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 11-28-07, 12:40 PM
gwd
Biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
We had one and it self destructed over a years time.
I walked past the place today and you may be right, one of the wagons had a missing wheel. The girl at the store said they worked better than the radio flyers.
Old 11-28-07, 06:14 PM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Originally Posted by gwd
I walked past the place today and you may be right, one of the wagons had a missing wheel. The girl at the store said they worked better than the radio flyers.
She was right the current Radio Flyer is a POS too...and made in China

We use these big heavy duty Garlock wagons at work. They are pretty expensive $600 or so, but they will handle 2,000# load or more We have some that are 7 years old and they get abused on a daily basis. They are no light weight, they weigh around 190# empty What is cool about them is that they can be hitched together and pulled like a train. We had one monster project that we were using a small landscaper sized Kubota tractor on the roof and could pull 4 or 5 of them hooked together. Also when you drop the handle it acts as a brake. BTW just for reference these are called the "Little Giant" carts, the frame is roughly 30" X 60". We also buy the foam filled tires upgrade...no flats!

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon

Last edited by wahoonc; 11-28-07 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-29-07, 10:45 AM
gwd
Biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those "Little Giants" seem like over kill for people to walk their neighborhood hardware/garden store puchases home.
Old 11-29-07, 05:36 PM
Membership Not Required

Originally Posted by gwd
Those "Little Giants" seem like over kill for people to walk their neighborhood hardware/garden store puchases home.
Oh I agree, but you won't wear it out in a couple of life times If I needed a wagon for household use I would get the Lehman's, I love the one with the 4 wheel steering. If I get a nice bonus this year I may spring for one just because.

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon