Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

converting Trek Madone to track bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-07, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
converting Trek Madone to track bike

I have a Trek Madone that I am considering converting to a track bike by use of the White Industries Eno hub. This would be used fro track racing only, no road riding. Does the hub work well? Would the geometry of the frame be ok for a starting track racer?
Old 12-02-07, 09:28 PM
Mitcholo

Bikes: 2010 Mitcholo w/ Sram Force/Red

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The problem with doing this is that most tracks won't let you race without track ends. I've seen a few guys not get on the track at Major Taylor for this reason. Your bottom bracket might also be too low.
If I were you, I'd either sell the Madone and buy something else (just about every bike maker has a nice aluminum track frame), or keep the Madone with the ENO hub for a training bike and still buy a real track bike.
Old 12-02-07, 09:30 PM
shut up and ride

Bikes: supersix hi-mod,burley duet tandem,woodrup track,cannondale cross,specialized road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not really a great solution. you need to be able to change gears for different races, training, etc. that's why track frames have long dropouts. you will pretty much be limited one gear choice or lots of chains
Old 12-02-07, 11:10 PM
oldsprinter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re your other questions. 1. The hub is great - if you're building a road-going "fixie."
2. The geometry is wrong - bottom bracket too low, angles a tad too relaxed. It would force you into bad habits as a rider - you'd be less explosive and slower in sprints, which means you'd end up riding track races like a roadie - looking for long breakaways.
Old 12-03-07, 09:28 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldsprinter
which means you'd end up riding track races like a roadie - looking for long breakaways.
Nothing wrong with that. Especially if he is a decidedly slow twitch type person that's probably his best best even.

you need to be able to change gears for different races, training, etc. that's why track frames have long dropouts. you will pretty much be limited one gear choice or lots of chains
the eno provides a pretty wide range. Probably at least as good as some of the shorter track frames.

What track are you on? Is bb height going to be an issue? What type events do you see yourself doing? The madone could possibly work.

If it was me however I would probably ebay the madone and get one of the many actual track bikes that can be picked up for around a thousand this time of year.
Old 12-03-07, 09:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're going to be riding on a steep track you'll probably be required to use a real track bike as the bottom bracket height will almost definitely be a problem. On a less steep track it will really depend on the officials - either they'll let you use a conversion or not.

I wouldn't worry about the geometry too much (except for BB height and crank length) if you're just starting out.

However I'm going to have to echo what everyone else has said - you're better off getting a track bike.
Old 12-03-07, 03:43 PM

Bikes: 53cm Levant NJS, 54cm Motobecane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just because it has a fixed gear doesn't make it a track bike.
Old 12-03-07, 04:23 PM
All-round nice guy.

Bikes: Kish road bike, Seven mtb, Marinoni road and track bikes.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yoshi
If you're going to be riding on a steep track you'll probably be required to use a real track bike as the bottom bracket height will almost definitely be a problem.
At the steepest track around - the Forest City Velodrome at 50 degrees steep - any frame is permitted as long as the bike passes this test - a 2x4 on edge must be able to pass underneath the low pedal with the bike vertical. Heck even my Argon18 road bike with 172.5 cranks passes this test. It would pass with flying colors with 165 cranks.
Old 12-03-07, 08:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll sell it

Based on the feedback I guess I will sell it and buy a track specific frame. I was trying to do it the easy way until I decided if I liked track racing or not. The track I would be starting on is the Asheville Mellowdrome which was not designed to be a bike track. It is an old race car track that is 500m long and only has 4-8% banking. It is the only thing around unless you want to drive to Atlanta. Since the banks are so mellow, hence the name, the BB drop is not an issue. If the geometry is really going to affect how it handles around a lot of other track bikes, then that is an issue. Once a month or so they have geared night and I have done it before and had a blast which is why I want to try fixed gear racing. I know it will be drastically different but I think it would be good for my training. Thanks.
Old 12-04-07, 02:11 AM
Run What 'Ya Brung

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtpisgah
Based on the feedback I guess I will sell it and buy a track specific frame. I was trying to do it the easy way until I decided if I liked track racing or not.
I think the easy way would be to keep your Madone for road riding and buy a cheap track bike through Bikes Direct. The Kilo TT is very popular and is a "true" track bike. Amazingly enough, these bikes actually RETAIN or even increase their value, so if you want to upgrade, or you decide that track racing isn't your thing, you should be able to sell it for at least as much as you paid, if not more.
Old 12-04-07, 10:06 AM
asleep at the wheel

Bikes: Custom Richie Ditta Track Bike, Eddie Merckx Corsa, Marioni Custom Pista, Dolan Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One other option to consider is that most velodromes have rental bikes (so I'd ask the organisers). They may not be the finest pieces of track steel but they will be enough to get you started,

I've even seen folks win races on rental bikes.