Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Studded Tires for ice and hard pack; what for loose snow?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-07, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts

Reality is that on my commute for a few days after a fresh snow I'm likely to run into ice, loose snow, hard packed snow, loose snow on hard packed snow, loose snow on ice, slush, water and dry pavement.

Having different wheels or different tires doesn't help unless I want to get off my bike and change them every few feet.

Currently I'm using some inexpensive (cheap) Nashbar 1.95" tires that I believe are made by Kenda. The work fine for dry pavement (although heavy), ice and hard pack, suck for anything involving loose snow. My bike gets really squirrely. in even less than inch of loose snow.

Is there anything better for working in a wide variety of conditions? Would changing tire pressure help?

Thanks !
Old 12-03-07, 06:18 PM
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In snow of any depth, lower your pressure. You'll get a larger contact patch. I run my studded knobbies for this and the knobs are for snow, the studs are for what may be lurking underneath or elsewhere. I do not change the tires out for conditions, rather, seasons. My Nokians see more dry pavement than anything else to little detriment but my overland speed.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 12-03-07, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CastIron
In snow of any depth, lower your pressure. You'll get a larger contact patch. I run my studded knobbies for this and the knobs are for snow, the studs are for what may be lurking underneath or elsewhere. I do not change the tires out for conditions, rather, seasons. My Nokians see more dry pavement than anything else to little detriment but my overland speed.
Thanks for the reply. I'm in nearby Minneapolis. So for conditions like we saw today and over the weekend, what pressure would you recommend? My sidewall says from 55 to 65 psi.

Thanks !
Old 12-03-07, 06:39 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
Thanks for the reply. I'm in nearby Minneapolis. So for conditions like we saw today and over the weekend, what pressure would you recommend? My sidewall says from 55 to 65 psi.

Thanks !
As low as possible without getting a pinch flat. You may need to try it to find out what works for you.
Try about 25psi-35psi. I use 22 front and 25 rear with slightly bigger tires and heavy loaded panniers on a 30 lb bike. The iditabike snow racers use about 5 psi and double wide rims.

A heavy bike actually helps a little in loose snow.

The knobbier and wider the tires the better. There are lots of studded knobbies around. Bikes are squirelly in loose snow, practice more. Learn to control the bike in a slide. Practice counter steering in a rear tire slide and keeping the bike exactly straight up at the same time. While pedaling softly.

Google ICEBIKE.
Old 12-03-07, 06:47 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Yep flatish tires for snow ... or sand. When I visited Fraser Island off the coast of Australia, an island entirely made of sand, I was interested to see that the tour busses let the air out of their tires once they disembarked from the ferry so that they could drive around the island easier. And we do the same thing when we ride in snow.

I take my mtn bike tires from their usual 50 psi down to about 30 psi.
Old 12-03-07, 07:09 PM
Creamy pack filling

Bikes: Trek 8000, Co-Motion tandem, Co-motion Espresso, Yeti Cross, 9Zero7 Fat Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Panaracer Fire XC Pros 2.1 works well in the snow. That's what I have been running for many years and use it year round. I weigh 190 and for snow riding I run them at 30psi in the rear and 25psi in the front.
Old 12-03-07, 07:35 PM
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel

Thanks !
Since I route on Snow Emergency routes, they are mostly plowed except for the short bursts through piles at intersections. For that and general conditions, I run 65 PSI (the max). I'll lower it for un-plowed/un-treated roads where the majority of the time is spent pushing snow. Even then it's got to be several inches worth.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 12-04-07, 01:31 PM
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CastIron
Since I route on Snow Emergency routes, they are mostly plowed except for the short bursts through piles at intersections. For that and general conditions, I run 65 PSI (the max). I'll lower it for un-plowed/un-treated roads where the majority of the time is spent pushing snow. Even then it's got to be several inches worth.
+1 - with nokian W106 35mm
Old 12-04-07, 01:50 PM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Really, when it comes to ice, ONLY studded tires will do. You can drop the pressure of a regular tire as much as you like, but when you hit that patch of black ice, it really won't matter. Don't ask me how I know.

I know some will say .... it's not icy all the time. Yes, but as you already stated, you can't change your tires every bike length. Therefore, I run a studded FRONT tire just about all winter. When I know it will be REALLY icy, I'll also snap on the rear. I have a seperate wheelset for my studs, so it makes the swap pretty easy.

... Brad