Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Expert fork steerer advice needed

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 12-03-07, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well I will start here before getting a thrashing on the road section over this:

Here is the set up:

49 cm 1989 Schwinn Prelude frame built up for a run around bike, 9 speed etc. Everything on the bike is new including the frame but that is another story. 700Cc wheels. Might also add this frame has a short headtube, only 3 ¼ inches and was sold as Schwinn's mid-entry level racing frame in 1989.
Fork is an Edge carbon 45 rake 1” steerer with a threaded headset.

Here is the problem:

Took it out for a first ride. The thing steers like a tank. I have never encountered this on any bike I have built. It did not matter what speed, just hard to steer. The headset is properly installed and when the bike is not moving the front fork/wheel turns right to left and back smoothly with no issues. The wheels are true and no hops or anything. I did not even want to grab a water bottle for fear of setting the thing down is how bad it rode. Is difficult to steer in both directions.

Honestly if someone was following me on the ride they would have thought I was on my way home from the pub or something. I need to find a solution to this problem. Any ideas? Right now the only redeeming factor is that my ride included an upper body workout.

Several ideas come to mind: Wrong fork rake for this frame? Fork is just a POS? Headset not really installed correctly? It appears to be in correctly. Thanks.
Old 12-04-07, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While I'm no expert. This sounds familiar to me. I'd look at the headset installation first. Appearances of being properly installed can be misleading. What you're describing sounds just a wee bit like a headset that binding a bit. Loosen it a wee bit (less than a half turn) and see if it improves the handling.
Old 12-04-07, 06:39 AM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
If it is turns smoothly and doesn't bind while still, my guess would be too much rake. Think of a motorcycle chopper, with the front wheel way out in front and extreme fork rake-they are very slow steering and takes a good bit of real estate to turn one around-sounds like your bike is imitating one of those, which is a case of too much rake. Is there a local shop with a decent mechanic that can take a look?
Old 12-07-07, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the interest. Got this sorted out on the Mechanics forum. It was the headset bottom bearings.

Will report back when a new headset is installed.