Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Water Bottle being pulled off shelves

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-07, 06:09 PM
long time visiter

Bikes: 2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Just a heads-up to anyone who may own a Mountain Equipment Co-op water bottle made from polycarbonate plastic. See news article in link below:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...tory/National/
Old 12-08-07, 01:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i skimmed the article earlier, i guess it's polycarbonate in general that's bad. Gives off a chemical the is similar to estrogen so it's screwing with peoples hormones.
Old 12-08-07, 01:37 AM
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hm. I guess I've got some serious thinking to do. I have an illness that gets worse from increased estrogen levels, and I do use my polycarbonate water bottle a great deal. Bummer.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 12-08-07, 01:40 AM
phony collective progress

Bikes: https://velospace.org/user/36663

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Soma polypropylene water bottles. Couple bucks more, but no awful plastic taste.

[edit: Oh, polycarbonate is Nalgene bottles. Scratch the awful plastic taste then. I was thinking of the regular, cheapie water bottles that leach like crazy.]
Old 12-08-07, 08:47 AM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Dayum another chemical that will kill us I have used the polyethylene Nalgene bottles for years, I like the Lexan (polycarbonate) because they don't absorb orders and were easier to keep clean. I also use the stainless ones and have started using them more and more.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 12-08-07, 10:56 AM
long time visiter

Bikes: 2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Dayum another chemical that will kill us I have used the polyethylene Nalgene bottles for years, I like the Lexan (polycarbonate) because they don't absorb orders and were easier to keep clean. I also use the stainless ones and have started using them more and more.

Aaron
I think it's time I invested in a company that makes glass water bottles for sports. Anyone know of any?

BTW, I'm sure they'll eventually find something wrong with Stainless Steel bottles.

Last edited by Alfster; 12-08-07 at 10:58 AM. Reason: added text
Old 12-08-07, 11:09 AM
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I've got one of those stainless bottles for work. I guess I should bite the bullet and get one for my bike, as well. They sell them where my brother works, so at least I can get one through him with a 20% discount.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 12-08-07, 07:41 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Alfster
find something wrong with Stainless Steel bottles.
Yeah, they weigh too much.