Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Good Seat Recommendation

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Good Seat Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-07, 08:18 PM

Bikes: SS Surly Crosscheck; '91 Cannondale 3.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good Seat Recommendation

I'd love a B-17, but the fundage isn't there. I have wider sit bones, commute on a road bike (i.e. bars lower than the seat) and want a good seat that doesn't cost much. I'm riding an old, old WTB right now with ti rails, and it works great, but the plastic cracked.

Whaddaya think?
Old 12-08-07, 08:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would say go with the b17. It really is worth it. My sit bones are extra wide, and all other seats are either too narrow or expensive. Only complaint I have about the B17 is that I had to fiddle around with the angle and position for a bit until it felt right, but this is common with most if not all saddles. Unfortunately b17s go for around $69 because of inflation. But looking at how long these last and the comfort they provide, I'd say around $70 is a great deal. If you can, go to your LBS and see if they can let you test ride saddles for a decent amount of miles/time. Saddles are *****in' expensive these days.
Old 12-08-07, 08:51 PM
not a role model

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Saddles are such a personal thing that I'd hate to make a recommendation.

A good shop will have a bin of saddles that you can test with.
Old 12-08-07, 08:52 PM

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck w Nexus 8 drivetrain set up as a commuter/tourer. Old and quick '89 Trek 1200. 08 Fisher Cobia 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shocking. Someone recommended a B-17 even after he said it was too expensive.

Go to the LBS and see if they'll let you try a couple (they will, just go when they are slow). Look for a wide-ish saddle with firm-ish padding and a split middle. Or just try what the dudes at the shop recommend. You'll find something you like.

brooks are nice and beautiful, but also heavy and wayyy-over-rated (yes I've tried them, I own two, and they are overpriced somewhat comfy eyecandy)
Old 12-08-07, 09:12 PM
Reeks of aged cotton duck

Bikes: 2008 Kogswell PR mkII, 1976 Raleigh Professional, 1996 Serotta Atlanta, 1984 Trek 520, 1979 Raleigh Comp GS

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I used to think that Brooks saddles were expensive until I priced the techno-plastic ones... YOW!

Got my B-17 on Ebay for $65 and it came with a Brooks saddle cover. I didn't see any decent plastic saddles for that price.
Old 12-08-07, 09:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, compared to other saddles, b17 are priced fair. The main idea behind brooks saddles especially the b17 for wider sit bones, is that you break it in and it is "molded" in your shape, basically custom fit for you. Plastic you can't really break in. If you find plastic comfortable, go for it, but if you're looking for comfort, I really suggest Brooks, especially since you have wider sit bones, since the b17 is wider compared to most other saddles. Well, maybe not the ones for breach cruisers.

If you're really that tight on a budget, seriously, go to the LBS and ask to try out their saddles.
Old 12-08-07, 09:38 PM
"Purgatory Central"

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=Jeffbeerman2;
brooks are nice and beautiful, but also heavy and wayyy-over-rated (yes I've tried them, I own two, and they are overpriced somewhat comfy eyecandy)[/QUOTE]

Wayyy-over-rated??

I dont think so.

Considering the quality of workmanship and the grade of leather they use, compared to plastic based saddles with a little dense foam covered with a thin glove leather, I'd say they were a bargain.
Old 12-08-07, 10:26 PM
Still a Newbie

Bikes: Univega, converted to fixed. Recently stolen.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been on my saddle for 330 of the last 365 days. It's the only comfortable saddle I've ever owned. Guess what it is?

A B-17.

Save up.
Old 12-09-07, 12:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been on the old WTB for long enough now, and guess what? It's fine. I'm not complaining saying my saddle is uncomfy and I can't find one that works...I'm not that guy

I'm just asking if there's a cheap one that fits wider sit bones. Hell, there are tons of $30 and under saddles at performance, but I don't know how wide any of 'em are. Thought someone like me might know.

B-17 seems pretty overrated for my intended use...for randonneuring I'm sure it's nice.

Also, saving up is fine, but when I need it Monday that's not really an option. So, I either ride on a broken saddle or find one that works. Any suggestions?
Old 12-09-07, 01:04 AM
phony collective progress

Bikes: https://velospace.org/user/36663

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Don't worry about the saddle-to-bar drop thing on your road bike. I have a B17 Champion on a bike which I guarantee you has a more ******** saddle-to-bar drop than your road bike.

I'm sorry to harp on the B17 thing when you say it's not what you're looking for, but keep in mind that the saddle is one of the most important parts of your bike, as it's what your ass is almost always resting on.
Old 12-09-07, 01:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Pickup one of these for a temp fix:
https://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Adult-...7183736&sr=8-1

Saddle is made by Velo and it's priced low enough. Can look for or save up for something else later on.
Old 12-09-07, 01:13 AM

Bikes: Raleigh Glacier MTB/Commuter. Cannondale CAAD5, Windsor Timeline fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just put some duct tape on your old saddle
Old 12-09-07, 07:57 AM
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In rebuilding and upgrading an old Cannondale for my then gf I was recommended an mtb 'ladies' saddle. The sales guy said his gf used it and liked it. It's grey and black w/red and silver accents...don't recall the model but it's a Bontrager...around 40.00. Anyway, I liked it so much I use it veryday on my #1 commuter. It's a tad wider than most men's saddles and very comfortable. Just went and looked at it closely and it says 'Bontrager' on both sides of the nose and on the visible part of the rail it said 'Hollow' w/several numbers after that. I'd pull it to look at the underside, but it was a b***h to mount and I'd rather no go through THAT experience again. I got it at my lbs...I'll do a search online and see if I can find the model.
Old 12-09-07, 08:12 AM
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here it is: https://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=14388
Old 12-09-07, 10:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
b-17

saves money in the long run
Old 12-09-07, 10:52 AM
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by climbhoser
I'd love a B-17, but the fundage isn't there. I have wider sit bones, commute on a road bike (i.e. bars lower than the seat) and want a good seat that doesn't cost much. I'm riding an old, old WTB right now with ti rails, and it works great, but the plastic cracked.

Whaddaya think?
What is your price range? I use Speclialized Alias on my roadbike, and it's very comfy. It also comes in three different sizes for different ass bones.
Old 12-09-07, 11:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
What is your price range? I use Speclialized Alias on my roadbike, and it's very comfy. It also comes in three different sizes for different ass bones.

Not $100, that's for sure. I'd get a Brooks before I got a Specialized Alias.

Probably $40 is my upper, upper limit. I have a WTB with ti rails (10 years old) on my MTB that I'm probably going to throw on there for Monday. I've done this before, and it's not the best saddle, but it'll get the job done.

Maybe I'll just work that angle until Feb. when my bonus pays out and then buy a Brooks.

Thanks nashcommguy, though...that saddle looks pretty nice for the money.
Old 12-10-07, 01:10 PM
Still a Newbie

Bikes: Univega, converted to fixed. Recently stolen.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Woot! Brooks FTW!
Old 12-10-07, 01:33 PM
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know my answer, it is the one you don't want to hear but has been said by most everyone else....
Old 12-11-07, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what's the wider Brooks? I HAVE a B-17 but it feels like it's still not wide enough.

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
Old 12-11-07, 10:43 AM
Body By Nintendo

Location: Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.

Bikes: Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Performance Forte Fusion? Works for me (and relatively cheap), but the ladies say i've got a small @$$ to begin with...

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5210

Originally Posted by jsharr
A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.

Last edited by Psydotek; 12-13-07 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-11-07, 11:09 AM
extra bitter

Bikes: Miyata 210, Fuji Royale II, Bridgestone Kabuki, Miyata Ninety

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Save up another $15 and you can have your cake and eat it, too: B17 at IRO.
Old 12-11-07, 11:35 AM
ROM 6:23

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brooks B17.
Old 12-11-07, 11:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you aren't going long distances or long ride times, any saddle should work. On my commuter and road bikes I have B17s, but on my mountain bike I have a $14 Bell Wally world saddle. The Bell is too squishy for long rides for me, but it has the anatomical hole so its doesn't put the junk to sleep. Its been fine on my mountain bike I guess because I don't usually ride for hours without stopping, I come out of the saddle more often during rides, and I get off and push the bike up and down steep areas.
Old 12-12-07, 06:39 PM

Bikes: ' 96 Trek 830 Mountain Track,'74 Schwinn Suburban, '74-ish Fuji Dynamic 10, '73 Schwinn Varsity,'73 Schwinn Breeze, '94 Schwinn Sidewinder. First Schwinn was a '74 Schwinn 24 inch Varsity in Lime Green, and previously owned a '74 Schwinn Breeze

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Brooks B-17, and make sure they are protected by ADT! LOL! :-D Honestly, when I took the picture a year or so ago, I didn't realize that I had the bikes in front of our ADT sign. Now, it just cracks me up. Maybe, I'm easily amused! ;-D

Oh, and there's one B-17 missing in that pic! I'm obviously sold!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Oct30$56.JPG (49.7 KB, 32 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.