Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My 1985 Benotto Modelo 3000

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-07, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone! I'm totally new to vintage bicycling but I absolutely love riding steel. Plus, you can't beat the artform of precision lugs. So here she is! She's not totally finished, I need to put on some toe straps and the elk hide leather wraps on the bars, but you get the idea.

Brief history: i traded an old workout machine to my manager for his 85 benotto frame (without a fork unfortunately). It was of course, painted in the nasty 80s style (blue and white with bad decals...yeck) So i had it powdered to look like a late 70s benotto!

To the true vintage fans... I'm sorry but I had the brazons totally grinded off. I know, I know should keep it pure but I really like how it looks this way (and I have a Jamis Coda Comp if i REALLY feel like shifting). Also, the rims aren't vintage... they are mavic aksiums that have been debadged. My gearing is a 42/13 i believe. Thanks to mark for the fork! It looks beautiful on the bike! I will be posting more photos of the progress and better angles but here she is as it stands today!

https://picasaweb.google.com/pfortuna...00391854438082
Old 12-09-07, 10:42 PM
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 788 Posts
ordinarily we would slag you for grinding things off the frame, but this looks pretty darn nice...so you get a pass. The powdercoat looks pretty thin, you can even make out panto'd details and lug edges...yay. And ya gotta love those Suntour Superbe pedals.
Old 12-09-07, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Beautiful or not, grinding things off of a vintage frame is..... Oh nm, sick of explaining why it shouldn't be done. Nice bike!,,,,BD
Old 12-09-07, 11:26 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
Whacking off the brazed-on downtube shifter mounts is one thing - a clamp-on can always replace them, and while not original, serves equally as nice and traditionally.

A big thank-you for having left the derailer hanger. Would have hated you eternally had you whacked it off.

-Kurt

Old 12-10-07, 03:38 AM
Deathhare FanBoi #8

Bikes: Univega Gran Record, Pinarello Treviso, Powerlite BMX, Schwinn Cuiser, Scwhinn Stingray.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
why not just buy a track bike?
Old 12-10-07, 04:22 AM

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 124 Posts
I suppose there will be someone that likes your bike, someone that hates your bike, someone that doesn't care but I'm the forth person; I haven't made my mind up yet. You, on the other hand, love it and that's really what matters. It will always remain a talking point as it is now something that wasn't meant to be.
Old 12-21-07, 02:42 AM

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
I really don't mean to rain on your party...but as a former owner and still a lover of Benotto bicycles I have to say the following:

DO NOT RIDE YOUR BENOTTO!!!

Here's the reason why...

From the early 80's all the way to when they stopped sales of Benottos in the United States - Benotto frames failed. Only two models were spared...

Modelo 800 - Made with hi-ten steel was not affected.
Modelo 850 - Made with Columbus Zeta - cracked where seat tube entered the bottom bracket lug.
Modelo 1000 - Made with Columbus Zeta or Aelle - cracked where seat tube entered the bottom bracket lug.
Modelo 1500 - Made with Columbus Zeta or Aelle - cracked where seat tube entered the bottom bracket lug.
Modelo 2000 - Made with Ishiwata 019 - cracked where the seat tube entered the bottom bracket lug.
Modelo 2500 - Made with ??? - cracked where the seat tube entered the bottom bracket lug.
Modelo 3000 - Made with Columbus SL? - cracked where the seat tube entered the bottom bracket lug.
Modelo 3500 - Made with Columbus SLX - separated where the down tube entered the head tube lug.
Modelo 5000 - Made with Columbus MS / Gilco - not affected.

Basically these issues appeared when Benotto moved production to Mexico. The clinical judgement of a local frame builder was that the brazer in Mexico was overheating the tubes during brazing resulting in a premature onset of "brittleness".

Also, Benotto forks are outstanding forks. So if you do happen to own or come across a cracked Benotto, salvage the forks.

To the original poster, good luck with your Benotto. It looks really nice!

=8-)

The Modelo 800 was unaffected due to cheap hi-ten steel being able to take a little overheating abuse.

The Modelo 5000 was unaffected due to it being the model still produced in Italy. Some Modelo 3500's may have been made in Italy - but some are known to have also been made in Mexico.

As an owner of a Modelo 2000 I was heart broken when mine cracked. A fellow owner of the same model suffered the same. All my buddies had bought them as well and we practically rode as a club. Anyone with a model above the Modelo 800 suffered the same. I and one buddy actually sold Benottos out of a shop.

The rear triangle of my Ishiwata 019 tubed Modelo 2000 ended up getting reused as a rear triangle of a cart-bicycle made by Dale Saso. So in some sense, my Benotto lives on.

Your refurbished Benotto looks absolutely beautiful. Please...wax it and hang it up as an art piece - not an everyday ride. It will crack if you keep riding it.

The reason I love Benottos is simply that they seemed to be the only manufacturer of a low cost entry level racing bicycle that had true racing geometry. Most others labelled sports-touring bicycles as "entry level" racing bicycles such as Peugeot with their 501 tubed model.

The Modelo 800 had a tight rear triangle with a thumbs space between the rear tire and the seat tube and was a true toe toucher with medium and large toe clips much giving it almost a solid criterium front geometry. Parts were pretty bad but upgrade options were simple easy and affordable. Every low end Benotto could be turned into a really decent bike.
Old 12-21-07, 03:38 AM

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Hi mrrabbit,

Thanks for the great information - you sure seem to know your Benotto's. I have a model 5000 with the ovalised tubing and internal cable routing - I live it; it's a bit unusual.

I was interested to read that the 5000 frames were made in Italy - how sure are you? Is there any site on the internet that will inform me about Benotto's.

Thanks very much,

Gary.
Old 12-21-07, 03:54 AM

You have a 5000? You lucky son-of-gun. Fishnet paint? Rear derailleur cable goes in the downtube through the bottom bracket and chainstay and out a small hole to the derailleur? Slight indent of the seat tube for a shorter chainstay?

Was simply a beautiful bike - very light weight too.

5000's were built in Italy. Most 3500's were also built in Italy. But I ran into a person in the past (1989/1990) who mentioned seeing later model 3500's built in Mexico.

Very few 5000s ended up in the US.

www.classicrendezvous.com has some info on the earlier 60's/70's Benotto's.

Just curious. Does the Columbus sticker say "MS" or "Gilco" or both? I have a hard time remembering what exactly was the clarifying labelling of the tubing design.

Thanks!

=8-)
Old 12-21-07, 05:00 AM

Hi mrrabbit,

Mine is probably an early 5000. I bought it off a bikeshop owner - it was his bike. He had 2 Benotto's - both painted the same but no fishnet paint scheme. I think mine is an '84 model. It has all the features you mentioned. It doesn't have a tube decal though. The other Benotto was Columbus SL but it wasn't a 5000. The previous owned called it a "Superleggaro" model. I discovered this year that it is a Benotto 5000. It has it's original '84 Super Record Gruppo. Here it is:

I have really have tried hard to ID it so I am very grateful for your help - thankyou.

Gary.
Old 12-21-07, 08:32 AM
park ranger

Bikes: recumbents

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrrabbit
I really don't mean to rain on your party...but as a former owner and still a lover of Benotto bicycles I have to say the following:

DO NOT RIDE YOUR BENOTTO!!!

Here's the reason why...

From the early 80's all the way to when they stopped sales of Benottos in the United States - Benotto frames failed. Only two models were spared...

Modelo 800 - Made with hi-ten steel was not affected.
Modelo 850 - Made with Columbus Zeta - cracked where seat tube entered the bottom bracket lug.
Modelo 1000 - Made with Columbus Zeta or Aelle - cracked where seat tube entered the bottom bracket lug.
Modelo 1500 - Made with Columbus Zeta or Aelle - cracked where seat tube entered the bottom bracket lug.
Modelo 2000 - Made with Ishiwata 019 - cracked where the seat tube entered the bottom bracket lug.
Modelo 2500 - Made with ??? - cracked where the seat tube entered the bottom bracket lug.
Modelo 3000 - Made with Columbus SL? - cracked where the seat tube entered the bottom bracket lug.
Modelo 3500 - Made with Columbus SLX - separated where the down tube entered the head tube lug.
Modelo 5000 - Made with Columbus MS / Gilco - not affected.

Basically these issues appeared when Benotto moved production to Mexico. The clinical judgement of a local frame builder was that the brazer in Mexico was overheating the tubes during brazing resulting in a premature onset of "brittleness".

Also, Benotto forks are outstanding forks. So if you do happen to own or come across a cracked Benotto, salvage the forks.

To the original poster, good luck with your Benotto. It looks really nice!

=8-)

The Modelo 800 was unaffected due to cheap hi-ten steel being able to take a little overheating abuse.

The Modelo 5000 was unaffected due to it being the model still produced in Italy. Some Modelo 3500's may have been made in Italy - but some are known to have also been made in Mexico.

As an owner of a Modelo 2000 I was heart broken when mine cracked. A fellow owner of the same model suffered the same. All my buddies had bought them as well and we practically rode as a club. Anyone with a model above the Modelo 800 suffered the same. I and one buddy actually sold Benottos out of a shop.

The rear triangle of my Ishiwata 019 tubed Modelo 2000 ended up getting reused as a rear triangle of a cart-bicycle made by Dale Saso. So in some sense, my Benotto lives on.

Your refurbished Benotto looks absolutely beautiful. Please...wax it and hang it up as an art piece - not an everyday ride. It will crack if you keep riding it.

The reason I love Benottos is simply that they seemed to be the only manufacturer of a low cost entry level racing bicycle that had true racing geometry. Most others labelled sports-touring bicycles as "entry level" racing bicycles such as Peugeot with their 501 tubed model.

The Modelo 800 had a tight rear triangle with a thumbs space between the rear tire and the seat tube and was a true toe toucher with medium and large toe clips much giving it almost a solid criterium front geometry. Parts were pretty bad but upgrade options were simple easy and affordable. Every low end Benotto could be turned into a really decent bike.
i believe it. the fork was nice too. my brother and his wife rode it for a short period of time.

Old 12-21-07, 08:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think it happened to you since you put deep vs on it
Old 12-21-07, 08:59 AM
park ranger

Bikes: recumbents

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
they were on it when my brother got the bike. what's worse is they are laced to some low flange record track hubs...such sweet hubs, such horrible rims.
i prefer the classic rims myself.
Old 12-21-07, 10:14 AM

Ouch! Just seeiing that makes me cringe...looks exactly like my break - exact same location.

It didn't matter which tubing...

Nice 5000 Gary...gotta love how the shifters were positioned. It always looked unusual but very cool.

Interestingly, Rossin also had a bike in this time period that was very much the same as the Benotto 5000SL. Same dimple in the seat tube, same Columbus ovalized tubing...don't remember if the rear derailleur cable was internel all the way through to the rear derailleur.

Someone awhile back was trying to sell a broken one on eBay.

=8-)
Old 12-21-07, 04:07 PM

Hi Piwonka and mrrabbit,

Sorry to see a nice bike ruined like that. The BB does look to be rusty but I suppose initial overheating has destroyed the structure of the steel making it more prone to rusting as well as metal fatigue leading to breakage.
Old 12-21-07, 08:47 PM

Bikes: 85 bianchi stelvio, 80s Rossi, 80s Fiori modena

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being the owner modelo 850, what risks Im I taking by riding it. Do hairline cracks appear first or does it just snap off. I hate to strip the parts off it and bury it if there is still some life to it. Basically is there early warning signs or does it just go. Thank You
Old 12-21-07, 10:38 PM

It will snap with no warning...however no accident will be caused by it. You'll just be riding and wondering why you are hearing a low frequency vibration / clunk sound, look down and then see the obvious.

First check the decal - if it is anything other than HI-TEN or as with the 5000 Columbus SL - Gilco/MS then the bike is at risk.

This doesn't apply to the classic 60s and 70s Benottos...unfortunately a lot of the 1980s Benotto Modelo 850s, 1000s, and 1500s, etc., copied 70s paint schemes just like the track bike pictured above in this thread.

In my opinion, if you can afford it - just make the bike an art piece for show.

=8-)
Old 12-22-07, 07:52 AM

Bikes: 85 bianchi stelvio, 80s Rossi, 80s Fiori modena

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks its made of Zeta tubing. Its a very awesome bike. Im pretty bummed.
Old 12-24-07, 02:18 AM
www.theheadbadge.com

I'll add to the mix that I've seen (and own - bought it this way) a 1500 with a snapped right dropout. As clean a split as you could ever want. Don't know if it was from overheating, or if the adjuster bolt slot was bored sloppily.

-Kurt

Old 12-26-07, 11:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I'm going to ride it till it fails. I have a buddy that can tig weld so hopefully, if it breaks clean like that I can have it repaired relatively cheap. Just gotta hope the rest of the bike is structurally sound as well haha!
Old 05-15-09, 08:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Benotto full Columbus Air

Digging up an old thread...

Does anyone know the model name or number of a Benotto constructed of a full Columbus Air tubeset including a teardrop seatpost? I attached a picture of such a bike from the 1981 Milano Bike show (EICMA).

However the bike I remember was not painted transparent gold over chrome but 'ordinary' Benotto champagne colour. It had Modolo Kronos Brakes, both in front of the forks as Kronos' were intended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Benotto_EICMA_1981.jpg (99.4 KB, 531 views)

Last edited by gazelleer; 05-15-09 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-15-09, 11:12 AM
Fanatic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have owned two Modelo 3000's, both I believe were Italian made.

My first, in Champagne.

The second, Mother of Pearl.

I rode / ride them both extremely hard, with no complaints.
Its not that I dont believe the information given in this thread... But Ive heard different things from reliable sources as well.
Old 07-21-09, 11:30 AM
Fanatic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to bump this to see if anyone can give me information on the second "Mother of Pearl" colored Benotto in these pictures right up here.

Ive never seen a Modelo 3000 in this color, only the champagne...

The BB numbers state : 3434 B360

Thanks.

I can post more detailed photos with my POS camera upon request.
Old 02-10-12, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Benotto 3000 country of origin

Hi Dyer,
I wanted to ask you if you were able to find out any more regarding your Benottos' country of origin. It is my understanding that the Italian made ones where not allowed to be imported into the state by the distributors. I have also read that at least some, if not all, of the 3000 model where made by De Rosa. I believe this to be true, if you look closely at the rear drop outs, you will see a small point filed which fits into the chain stays and seat stays. If you look at De Rosas from the appropriate time period, you will see the same treatment. I know of no other frame builder who finishes the drop outs in this manner. It is possible, like the De Rosa diamond chainstays, this technique was adopted by the Mexican frame shop. I would like to see a Mexican made 3000 dropout to see if this is the case. If you have any more info on the subject, I would like to hear from you.
Thanks
Old 02-10-12, 02:48 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Rollingalong
I have also read that at least some, if not all, of the 3000 model where made by De Rosa.
Not true. The model series frames were built in both locations; even the 3000. De Rosa may have made some, but they weren't exclusive to his production - I've seen at least one Italian 3000 built to the same specifications as a similar-era Guerciotti.

-Kurt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.