Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

forearm ventilation

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

forearm ventilation

Old 12-10-07, 08:32 AM
Singletrack rider(s)

Bikes: 'dale MT800 tandem still factory stock, Specialized Enduro FS single, factory stock except for Talas up front

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
forearm ventilation

I've been using a cycling specific jacket that has pit zips and a should flap. I always ride with my hydration under the jacket so that the shoulder vents work. The outer layer is a thin wind proof fabric of unknown material that is not very waterproof. The inside layer is a fish net fully extending to the cuffs. A polartec shirt usually keeps me comfortable down to 15*f when trail riding. I have a constant issue with the forearms becoming wet inside. On climbs the rest of my upper body may become moist but not soaked. Do I have to ditch the jacket or is there a work-around? I thought about getting a tailor to install zippers on the underside of the forearms.
Old 12-10-07, 09:20 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Push your sleeves up when they get hot.
Old 12-10-07, 11:25 AM
ROM 6:23

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does your jacket have adjustable cuffs?
Old 12-10-07, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've installed zippers on several jackets. In fact, all winter, I probably only use a wind jacket 2-3 times (with zippers on the arms). I have zippers on my fleece sweaters. I usually ride with two fleece sweaters. The inner one has the back cut out, and the outer one has the zippers from the wrists to the shoulder. I'm a sweathog. Pulling up the sleeve just caused a pileup of fabric on my arm further up. I installed the zippers on the front of the arms. Usually after 20 minutes, I unzip the arms and unzip the front of the outer fleece. I usually ride all year long in Michigan. I can not wear a hat. I wear ear muffs. My hair (it is long) is usually soaked - nasty.
Old 12-10-07, 10:08 PM
Singletrack rider(s)

Bikes: 'dale MT800 tandem still factory stock, Specialized Enduro FS single, factory stock except for Talas up front

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- can't push the sleves up as the elastic cuff is tight at the wrist and not adjustable. Is there a zipper that works particularly well? Some zippers bind quickly when pulled at an angle.
Old 12-11-07, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I purchased cheap zippers ($3-5). I do not use invisible zippers. That way, there is more of a gap between the zipper and the material so the fleece doesn't get caught in the zipper. I also use zip ties in the zipper head so I can pull the zipper up and down with mittens on. Luckily I haven't been riding with my club lately. When I used to take the sleeves off on a jacket while riding with the club, it was troublesome to take the mittens off, remove sleeve and put in pocket and put mittens on while keeping up with the group. Now that I have studded tires, fenders and my own customized wardrobe, I'm not sure I would be "welcome" with the group. I know I couldn't keep up.