Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Speed sensor on chain stay of Specialized Allez

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-07, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I'm a first time poster and a new cyclist. I just got a Cateye Strada Cadence computer with a rear left chain stay speed sensor and crank-mount cadence sensor. My Specialized Allex Elite frame has rear chainstays that hug the wheel and then flare out. As I'm new to this, I don't know the name for this setup but it doesn't have the traditionaal consistent taper from bottom bracket to rear hub.

The problem is that b/c of the closeness of the chain stay to the spokes, there isn't room for the speed sensor to be mounted to the inside of the chain stay. Am I overlooking something? Can the sensor be mounted "on top" of the chain stay or does the sensor line need to be vertical for it to pick up the magnet?

Thanks for your help!

Ktaadn
Old 12-12-07, 08:29 PM
MARGINALS

Bikes: 09 Tarmac Pro SL / Sunday BMX /

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you'll be fine if you mount the sensor on the top side or bottom side of the chainstay. the most important thing is to position the sensor at the right distance from the magnet.
Old 12-12-07, 09:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having the choice between top side or bottom side of chainstay, I would choose the bottom side. So that if the sensor slides a little bit toward the spokes, it couldn't get caught there, break a few spokes, and, worse yet, lock up the wheel, just when you don't want this to happen...
Old 12-13-07, 11:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks, I'll give it a try.