Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

C&A Cannondales? I was apparently neglectful!

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-07, 10:08 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Let's see 'em!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 12-16-07, 10:25 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Now you're talkin'!

Old 12-16-07, 11:14 PM

Bikes: 86' Davidson Impulse, 83' Windsor Professional

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I picked this frame up for $70!! not too long ago. Came with a Campy headset and seat binder too!!. I was stoked.

*edit*
maybe Ill throw in a description:

Full Ultegra 10's
Truvativ Roleur Carbon Cranks
Mavic Ksyrium Elite's
Hutchinson TDF tires
San Marco Era Arrowhead Saddle
Race X Lite Seatpost, Race Lite Stem, Race Lite (i think) Fork.
FSA Bars

I haven't even gotten to ride the new frame yet! Lots of snow here in Mid-Wisconsin

Last edited by jerrymcdougal; 12-17-07 at 02:39 AM.
Old 12-17-07, 01:33 AM

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I really need to take a better picture. My wife has a wonderful 10 megapixel HP camera that would really do the bike justice against her gold Oldsmobile, as I don't have a white garage door.

56cm 2.8 frame
105 (5600) derailers
RSX rear brifter (7-speed)
Suntour friction downtube shifter for the front
Kinesis carbon fiber fork
3 wheelsets
-RSX hubs and 36 spoke Mavic CXP22 rims
-600 hubs and 32 spoke Mavic Open Pro rims
-Roval aero wheelset with 7-speed freewheel
(I can swap any wheelset without changing derailer settings)
Look pedals
Shimano RSX touring crankset with 30/40/50 chainrings

Did I say I love this bike? I bought it for $300 cash instead of putting a new Allez on layaway at my old LBS in Hilton Head. We had to pump WD-40 into the brifters to get them to work again, but the right/rear hasn't failed yet. The front jammed and won't work again, so I just went to a DT shifter. That bike has been across South Carolina, up the entire Georgia coast, turned laps at Rockingham, Darlington, Hardeeville, and Myrtle Beach race ways. I've raced it and won two trophies with her. I delivered water and medicine with her when a bridge problem cut off Lady's Island, St. Helena's Island, and the outer barrier islands. She's been caught out in severe thunderstorms, cold morning centuries, and black-flag hot summer days. I've crashed hard once with her, and twice not so hard. I've even gone into a diabetic coma while riding her! She's been my therapy when I lost dealt with loss of family and friends.

My wife calls her "The Mistress".
I just call her my bike.
She may need a new headset this spring.

Last edited by DieselDan; 01-05-08 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-17-07, 07:44 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 1,009 Posts
Here you go:

Old 12-17-07, 02:13 PM

Bikes: Electra townie 21 Cannondale Synapse 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here it is (I hope) 2008 Synapse 3 carbon full ultegra. yes I know the stem is weird, yes I know the dork disc is almost as big as a zipp wheel, and no, I didn't know the piping on the seat bag was reflective until I took the pic. I managed to get 288 miles on it from 10/22 till winter hit about a month ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cannondale.JPG (99.1 KB, 65 views)
Old 12-18-07, 11:47 AM
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You guys asked for it.

Old 12-18-07, 02:03 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by airbrake
Here it is (I hope) 2008 Synapse 3 carbon full ultegra. yes I know the stem is weird, yes I know the dork disc is almost as big as a zipp wheel, and no, I didn't know the piping on the seat bag was reflective until I took the pic. I managed to get 288 miles on it from 10/22 till winter hit about a month ago.

How do you like this bike, I looked at one, but wasn't sure about a carbon frame and went with the CAAD9 instead.

Old 12-18-07, 03:48 PM
Getting Less Chunky

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh SuperCourse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't wait for the C&A Raleigh thread. I feel left out.

I don't think Cannondales are the best looking bikes around, but their frames are so nice. I think my next will be a C-Dale. Nice rides. Keep those pretty pictures coming.
Old 12-18-07, 06:20 PM
My cassette goes to 11

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone, Canondale T2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1997 T2000 Cannondale with a touring triple and about 6K miles on the CAD2 frame. Am going to replace the worm coda crank arms soon. They click every half revolution as I pedal.

Old 12-18-07, 11:27 PM
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Barabus
1997 T2000 Cannondale with a touring triple and about 6K miles on the CAD2 frame. Am going to replace the worm coda crank arms soon. They click every half revolution as I pedal.

might wanna inspect the bb shell. my 98 CAAD3 cracked there and it caused a repetitive clicking noise.
Old 12-19-07, 07:25 AM

Bikes: Electra townie 21 Cannondale Synapse 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
How do you like this bike, I looked at one, but wasn't sure about a carbon frame and went with the CAAD9 instead.
Brian, when I was shopping I rode this and a couple cf specialized bikes. Then I rode an aluminum bike and it about beat me to death. I got back on my electra townie with fat tires and a suspension fork etc and it was beating me. These bikes just seem so smooth. I am a little concerned about the wheels. they are 20 spoke, flat spokes, but the rims are deep v style. they are Mavic Aksiums. The seat was really narrow so I put my B-17 on it. I love the red color on it, I wish it was all that color. the black cf part always looks dusty. I also wish the wheels were silver with about 20 less decals. I put an adjustable stem on it because I'm having some trouble adjusting to the road bike position. to much belly to bend over I suspect. I actually thought the specialized bikes were a little better riding, but my options locally were Cannondale or Giant.
My lbs has been great to me and then there is that red color on the cannondale. I'd bought 4 bikes from them and last year I was telling them I was thinking road bike. He said "I don't think you would like one" to prove his theory he loaned me a mid 80's Schwinn World Sport for a couple weeks. He almost proved his point. After I bought this one, I told him he almost blew a sale!
Old 12-19-07, 07:59 AM
Hip to the Game.

Bikes: Kona Lava Dome, Kapu 853

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Aksiums shouldn't be a problem. I rode an older set of Cosmics for a few years with ZERO issues. Mavics cost a little more for good reason, I have found.

A razor blade and hair dryer can help with your decal problem.
Old 12-20-07, 11:13 AM

Bikes: Too many to count. Changes on a frequent basis.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am in the process of upgradng to 9 speed right now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1020873305_ecee5adc0d_o.jpg (70.4 KB, 26 views)
Old 12-20-07, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by airbrake
Brian, when I was shopping I rode this and a couple cf specialized bikes. Then I rode an aluminum bike and it about beat me to death. I got back on my electra townie with fat tires and a suspension fork etc and it was beating me. These bikes just seem so smooth. I am a little concerned about the wheels. they are 20 spoke, flat spokes, but the rims are deep v style. they are Mavic Aksiums. The seat was really narrow so I put my B-17 on it. I love the red color on it, I wish it was all that color. the black cf part always looks dusty. I also wish the wheels were silver with about 20 less decals. I put an adjustable stem on it because I'm having some trouble adjusting to the road bike position. to much belly to bend over I suspect. I actually thought the specialized bikes were a little better riding, but my options locally were Cannondale or Giant.
My lbs has been great to me and then there is that red color on the cannondale. I'd bought 4 bikes from them and last year I was telling them I was thinking road bike. He said "I don't think you would like one" to prove his theory he loaned me a mid 80's Schwinn World Sport for a couple weeks. He almost proved his point. After I bought this one, I told him he almost blew a sale!
Thanks and interesting. Yea, I was looking to go with steel initially, but the CAAD9 frame to me rides so smooth and so much less jarring than any other aluminum bike I ridden. It just amazing. I rode a full carbon before, but I was alway nervous on it, was always worried about being one bad driver aways from owning splinters versus a bike. I liked the way the Synapse rode and felt, but I got such a much better ride on the CAAD. Your bike looks good and that is a nice looking red.

Old 12-21-07, 08:54 AM
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
OK, here is our Cannondale. Not the typical one you see here but manages to haul around 350 pounds of riders, yes I said riders. It doesn't exactly look like this anymore. The front fork is now a composite cross fork, and the brakes are swapped out for Avid SD7, and the Dale has new wheels. I should update this picture.

BTW, I do know the helmet strap is too loose.

Old 12-22-07, 10:36 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Barabus

I had some clicking on every revolution last summer. Just to check, I changed the pedals for my wife's. The clicking went away.

However, another time I had similar clicking which turned out to be the bottom bracket.

I've even had clicking that was caused by a loose stem!
Old 12-31-07, 03:35 PM

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Updated pic with 600/Open Pro wheels:
Old 12-31-07, 03:57 PM

Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kona? am i the only one?
Old 01-05-08, 04:08 AM
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselDan
My wife calls her "The Mistress".
I just call her my bike.
She may need a new headset this spring.
Which "she" needs the new headset?

I've got two Cannondales now -- a Bad Boy Disc that I got almost on a whim while the shifter on my old MTB was being repaired (I had taken the MTB in to look for street tires, test rode a closeout BB, and bought it a week later) and one of their last CAAD8 road bikes after I realized the type of riding I usually did.

They're both stock with some add-ons, and I'm thinking of new wheels for the CAAD and a generator hub (maybe) for the BB.

First post in C&A, BTW.