Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacing Front Derailleur Question ?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-07, 03:33 PM
JoeWolcottCT

Bikes: Cannondale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,

Hey, I'm currently running a Shimano 10spd 105 triple front derailleur that came on my bike. I've switched the crank from the 50-39-30 to a Shimano compact R-700 50-36. I'm running an Ultegra longcage RD with an IRD 11-28 cassette. My shifting between chainrings is pretty good but every now and then if I'm in the 50t and I've used the trim click and then later try to shift into the 36t, the brifter will stick. I have to hit it once (nothing will happen), then let go and hit it again and it will drop down to the 36t. Doesn't happen all the time and when it does it's only when I've used the trim click first.

Anyway, I'm thinking that perhaps swapping my FD to an Ultegra double FD will help......Will it ?

....and my main question is can I get a braze on Ultegra FD like this one ?:

(https://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=D1054)

and just use the FD clamp that came with the 105 triple FD ?
Or do I have to buy a separate clamp for the new FD ?

Thanks,

J.
Old 12-18-07, 03:38 PM
Low car diet

Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeOxfordCT
My shifting between chainrings is pretty good but every now and then if I'm in the 50t and I've used the trim click and then later try to shift into the 36t, the brifter will stick. I have to hit it once (nothing will happen), then let go and hit it again and it will drop down to the 36t. Doesn't happen all the time and when it does it's only when I've used the trim click first.
That first click is necessary to "un-shift" the trim shift.

Edit: A triple FD has a taller inner plate to aid shifting from inner to middle ring. It should still work fine with your compact double setup (the extra part if the FD just doesn't get used). Even if a double FD would shift better, it won't fix the "problem" you describe.
Old 12-18-07, 03:40 PM
JoeWolcottCT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JiveTurkey
That first click is necessary to "un-shift" the trim shift.
Really ?

Explain ??
Old 12-18-07, 03:45 PM
JoeWolcottCT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JiveTurkey
A triple FD has a taller inner plate to aid shifting from inner to middle ring. It should still work fine with your compact double setup (the extra part if the FD just doesn't get used). Even if a double FD would shift better, it won't fix the "problem" you describe.
I was told (...and I'm not a mechanic) that the triple FD cage is wider than a double and may cause sloppier shifting.....are you telling me that that's not so ? Should I stick with the 105 triple FD for now and change mechanics instead ?
Old 12-18-07, 04:02 PM
Low car diet

Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Well, you said your shifting is fine, so who cares if it "may cause sloppier shifting"? I doubt a triple is actually wider; I don't see how a wider cage would help a triple shift better (or a double worse). Matching cage width to chain width (e.g. 10-speed FD/chain) is more important.
Old 12-18-07, 08:26 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The problem that you've described is not related to the derailleur. Try flushing out the shifters with WD40 to loosen up the factory grease. Also try adjusting the front shift cable tension, you may have too much cable tension. If the cables and housing are more than two years old you should consider replacing them with new cables and cable housings.

Al
Old 12-18-07, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
+1 on WD-40 if the grease is not too old............I opened up an older pair of MTB thumb shifters and the factory grease was like wax. It actually crumbled like stale cheese. I wound up holding the shifters in a pot of simmering water with tongs and cooking out the old gunk ..they work like new now.............
Old 12-18-07, 09:02 PM
Low car diet

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
OP: When you say, "every now and then if I'm in the 50t and I've used the trim click and then later try to shift into the 36t, the brifter will stick. I have to hit it once (nothing will happen)", do you at least hear or feel a click from that first tap? If you do, then I don't think it's a mechanical problem, just doing what it's supposed to do. If it is really doing nothing at all, then, yeah, clean it out.

You might be able to adjust the FD so that you can't even use the half shift in the large ring by tightening the High limit screw. However, if this prevents up-shifting altogether and/or causes chain rub in the highest gear, then it won't work.