Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Please suggest a route for Napa, CA

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-07, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My family and I will be staying at the Silverado Resort this weekend. If the weather holds up, I'll be bringing my road bike along. Any suggested routes? Bathroom stops? I'm looking for a ~40 mile ride with some climbing.

Thanks.
Old 12-20-07, 02:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a great ride, right out of the parking lot.... take a right.... follow the road to where it's gated, then return. Called the Atlas Peak ascent.... ~ 10 miles out, 10 miles back... a couple thousand feet of climbing, little to no traffic, great scenery and serenity, some wildlife too !!! Last time I stayed at the Silverado (2 nights) I rode it four times.... not redundant or boring... I'd a done it more if I'd had more time (and endurance, and leg strength). Don't miss it, it's great !!!
Old 12-20-07, 03:16 PM

Bikes: Specialized Creo Comp Carbon DeSalvo Custom Ti

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 4 Posts
Silverado Trail

You can also head up the Silverado Trail to Calistoga and back, it does have a few narrow spots.
Old 12-21-07, 08:28 AM
Steve MacK

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Hey we were thinking of doing the same - we're staying in St Helena this weekend. Hope the weather's good enough to get out!

Old 12-21-07, 09:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions!

Steve, according to weather.gov, we are looking at sunny and cold for the two days.
Old 12-21-07, 10:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on Atlas Peak, it's a really nice ride. If you want to add some miles, you could just loop around the golf course a few times, i.e. right on Atlas Peak from the Silverado parking lot, right on Westgate, right on Hillcrest, right on Atlas Peak, repeat as necessary. The loop as a whole is about four miles.

Another longer ride would incorporate Mt. Veeder. Here is the route on Bikely. 33 miles in all, about 2200 feet of climbing, with two fun descents. The Mt. Veeder descent is pretty twisty, the Oakville Grade descent is very steep but with mostly wide turns. (There are a couple that are tight though, so watch your speed.)

Directions:

Right on Atlas Peak
Left on Hardman (almost immediate)
Left on Silverado Trail
Right on Trancas
Trancas turns into Redwood
Bear left on Redwood at Y in road (other street is Dry Creek Rd. You'll still be on Redwood)
Right on Mt. Veeder
Right on Dry Creek
Left on Oakville Grade
Left on Highway 29
Right on Oakville cross
Right on Silverado Trail
Left on Hardman
Right on Atlas Peak
Old 12-21-07, 04:16 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Tirreno Razza 900, Trek 750

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just do the classic Tour of Napa.

https://www.eaglecyclingclub.org/65M%20map.GIF

https://www.eaglecyclingclub.org/tour.htm

https://www.eaglecyclingclub.org/rides.htm

The site is not that clear, thats why I added the different links. I included the map of the 65 mile route for the event that took place in August, its a cool route with a few challenging hills.
Old 12-21-07, 05:54 PM
Steve MacK

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Hey - great suggestions, all - thank you . Looks like I'll get some riding this weekend at a beautiful spot!

Old 12-25-07, 10:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll add a few words in case someone finds this thread via a search.

Atlas Peak Rd: A long, fun climb with very little traffic. The beginning and end are the steepest parts but the middle levels off a bit (which helps for a quick recovery). About 10 miles in length before it dead ends.

Soda Canyon Rd: I didn't ride this all the way to the dead end point but the first half is moderate climbing with some rolling hills; the part I rode wasn't as steep as Atlas Peak Rd. This is another quiet road with very light traffic.

Silverado Trail from Napa to Calistoga has a wide bike lane but traffic can be heavy and also moves fast with a speed limit around 50mph.
Old 12-26-07, 11:04 AM

Bikes: CAAD 10 Black inc, Autouri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Atlas Peak is exactly 8.4 mile from the start of the climb to the end (i ride this one alot).

Soda Canyon starts very flat but the further up you go it gets VERY steep at one point for about a mile.

Mt Veeder is a nice climb in which you can either go up and over to Sonoma Valley doing the reverse direction of the ToC (Trinity road) or come down Dry Creek road or go up and over the Oakvilee grade which drops you onto hwy 29.

Another nice route would be Silverado trail to Howell Mtn road and back down Deer Park rd to Silverado trail and back to start.
Old 12-26-07, 02:53 PM
Pepperoni Power

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you can get to Napa Boothe State Park, there is a great loop up and around Chile's Valley and Pope's Valley.