Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

cannondale capo

Old 12-21-07, 02:40 PM
Super Senior

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cannondale capo

the new red capo looks really awesome and i want one, as i fell in love with a red cannondale road bike i was able to ride for a while when i was younger. the only thing i don't like about it is the name - and the cheap components it comes with.

my question - is this frame suitable for the velodrome? i don't plan to only ride it on the track, but i am only a couple hours from the track in kenosha, wisconsin - so i definitely plan to ride there when i can. i know it is based on a track frame, but it seems they've made the geo more street friendly.

if i don't get a capo, i will probably pick up one of the kilo pro frames to ride in the street and velodrome with some adjustments.

any comments appreciated - sorry if these entry level frames are too far below your radar.
Old 12-22-07, 04:41 PM
exploding legs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ride it and if you are happy with it buy it...I love mine, and not just for the name. I ride it everyday as my commuter 35 + miles a day with minor mods. I also have taken on the track and plan racing with it in 08.
Old 12-22-07, 05:17 PM
not actually Nickatina

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A local mechanic told me the fork is more suited for the road and can get unstable at high speeds on the track. Probably best to ask Cannondale or someone using the frame for track...
Old 12-22-07, 06:55 PM

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andre nickatina
A local mechanic told me the fork is more suited for the road and can get unstable at high speeds on the track. Probably best to ask Cannondale or someone using the frame for track...
How would a fork that would see higher speeds on the road be less stable on the track? That doesn't make any sense.

They have the same HT angle as well as fork rake...
Old 12-23-07, 12:31 AM
exploding legs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Duke of Kent
How would a fork that would see higher speeds on the road be less stable on the track? That doesn't make any sense.

Thank you ....I was thinking the same thing.....I cant tell the difference between sprinting on the track or road going 35 +
Old 12-23-07, 02:12 AM
not actually Nickatina

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Duke of Kent

I really have no ****ing clue... I respect the mechanic that told me this and that's why I posted it.
Old 12-23-07, 08:40 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really have no ****ing clue... I respect the mechanic that told me this and that's why I posted it.
It's the exact same geometry(and frame/fork I think) as the old caad7 track bike. I think you misunderstood or your respect is misplaced. Perhaps he said that cannondales track offerings have always been too stable for the track or perhaps he is just another clueless bike shop employee who should keep his mouth shut?
Old 12-23-07, 11:42 AM

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Most production track bikes from major mfr's are a compromise between a true track bike and a street fixed gear. C-dale's first track bikes in the early 90's had ridiculously steep head tubes (74-75 degrees) because that was in vogue for track sprinting during the Marty Nothstein era. They were too twitchy with too much toeclip overlap for street use.

Now mfr's have gotten wise. Their track bikes now have road geometry up front with 72-73 degree head tubes. They figured they sell a lot more bikes to the street crowd that way, especially with front brake holes.

Even pure track bikes now have at most 73-74 degree head tubes now. Mfr's are trying to get both a pursuit and a sprint bike out of one carbon mold since the molds are so expensive. Trail takes a higher priority than it used to for the track. I would think a fork designed for the road would be TOO stable for the track, i.e. too hard to maneuver quickly.
Old 12-23-07, 02:51 PM
not actually Nickatina

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dutret
or your respect is misplaced. Perhaps he said that cannondales track offerings have always been too stable for the track or perhaps he is just another clueless bike shop employee who should keep his mouth shut?
Couldn't be anymore off target. One of the most respected mechanics/shop owners with a shop that caters moreso to the Alpenrose velodrome/track racing scene than any other LBS in Portland.

Although it's likely I misunderstood.
Old 12-23-07, 03:26 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Couldn't be anymore off target. One of the most respected mechanics/shop owners with a shop that caters moreso to the Alpenrose velodrome/track racing scene than any other LBS in Portland.

Although it's likely I misunderstood.
which shop?
Old 12-23-07, 03:28 PM
not actually Nickatina

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Central
Old 12-23-07, 03:43 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmmmm alpenrose is a really hard track to ride but I would think you would want more rake to keep from drifting up in the corners. Maybe I'm wrong. Either way the fork is the same as the caad7s and whether or not it's good for alpenrose it's probably good for kenosha/northbrook.
Old 01-03-08, 04:52 PM
Hi Neighbor

Bikes: '07 Cannondale Capo, '04 Cannondale 1FG, '96 Haro Master Flatland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the Capo is actually a CAAD5 frame, same as the Major Taylor Track that they made until a few years ago. The components (especially the wheels) leave a lot to be desired, but the frameset is great comfy enough for commuting and stiff enough to climb like a goat.
Old 05-10-08, 09:41 AM
No Sidewalks.

Bikes: Cannondale Capo.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
capo's are caad5 frames.
Old 05-11-08, 07:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dubbayoo
Most production track bikes from major mfr's are a compromise between a true track bike and a street fixed gear. C-dale's first track bikes in the early 90's had ridiculously steep head tubes (74-75 degrees) because that was in vogue for track sprinting during the Marty Nothstein era. They were too twitchy with too much toeclip overlap for street use.

Now mfr's have gotten wise. Their track bikes now have road geometry up front with 72-73 degree head tubes. They figured they sell a lot more bikes to the street crowd that way, especially with front brake holes.

Even pure track bikes now have at most 73-74 degree head tubes now. Mfr's are trying to get both a pursuit and a sprint bike out of one carbon mold since the molds are so expensive. Trail takes a higher priority than it used to for the track. I would think a fork designed for the road would be TOO stable for the track, i.e. too hard to maneuver quickly.

Seems to me that with the cannondale having a trail of 5.7 (in most sizes) and 73 head angle with 45mm fork keeping the front end down in the banking would be the biggest concern. For a while I was getting a little overly into trail and I asked Dave Tiemeyer about various trails as well as over all head angle and his position is that a trail over 6 combined created with a short rake and steep angle is better than a trail over 6 created by a long rake and relaxed angle.

The Cannondale seems to do neither of these things. I have never ridden on the track though so I just don't know

Braden
Old 05-11-08, 09:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The lack of sweet spec is reflected in the price, I got mine for $875 CDN. You can upgrade the wheels and bars and still come out under $1500, which seems to be the benchmark to most entry level track bikes. So far I'm happy with mine.